Re: RM1x - Re: [xl7] Re: XL7, compared to...

  • Atom Smasher
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 16, 2008
      On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, gutman75 wrote:

      >> i don't get the "16 variations" bit... if i had an XL7, couldn't i just
      >> use 16 patterns and consider each one a "variation"? how is that
      >> different/better about the RM1x?
      >
      > It's not 16 unrelated patterns, it's just different assignment of MIDI
      > phrases to the same tracks. Say you have a nice drum loop going on track
      > 1, but would like to add some breaks to it once in a while. On XL7,
      > you'd have to dedicate another track to the task (say track 16), set it
      > to the same MIDI channel, and then for a break you'd have to mute 1 and
      > unmute 16 simultaneously. This is possible, but isn't easy, and this is
      > just for variation on a single track. On Rm1x, all 16 tracks can switch
      > to playing something else in realtime (the switch is quantized to 1 bar
      > or 1/16th) with a single button press.
      ====================

      that sounds cool... but when you say 16 variations, is that 1 variation
      per track? or can i have 2 variations for 8 tracks? or...?

      > Maybe the real deal would be to make loops on XL7 and then dump them to
      > Rm1x - if I could just figure out a way to do it :)
      =====================

      if all else fails you could do it the same way i'd dump sequences from an
      MC50 to an MMT8... with a MIDI cable, one track at a time. neither fun nor
      fast, but it works.

      --
      ...atom

      ________________________
      http://atom.smasher.org/
      762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

      "Beware, a record of the books you borrow may end up
      in the hands of the FBI. And if the FBI requests
      your records, librarians are prohibited by law from
      telling you about it. Questions about this policy
      should be directed to Attorney General John Ashcroft,
      Department of Justice, Washington, D.C. 20530."
      -- Sign greeting patrons entering all 10 of
      the county libraries in Santa Cruz, California
    • Aaron Eppolito
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 22, 2008
        This is a great question, atom. Looks like you're getting some good responses too. I was going to try and consolidate some of the comments, but I guess I'll tackle them individually.

        Zsolt, you hit the nail on the head. "Never Stopping" was my main design goal. I wanted it so that you could do absolutely everything, from tracking to preset editing to saving to switching modes (song/preset) to event list editing without EVER having to stop. There are a very few exceptions (such as offline quantize) that we ended up having to stop because there were bugs otherwise.

        Much like you guys, I was frustrated by the lack of live abilities and the interruption to my improvisational flow that comes from stopping anytime you wanted to do something.

        -Aaron

        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 22, 2008
          Yep, the Rm1x does have some cool features, but the stopping for everything kills the deal for me.

          Note that with version 2.0, you gain XmiX which allows you to selectively switch in tracks from other sequences. You could easily use this to achieve the variations that the Rm1x does, and more. The groove grid is very cool and something we always wanted to do (more generally, any sort of non-destructive realtime quantize). The MC-505 has this too, routed to a knob which is pretty cool.

          MIDI echo is okay, but you can do the same thing in the preset pretty easily (and in realtime too).

          Uneven loop lengths is probably the most useful difference. With the XL-7, you'd have to extend the shorter tracks out to the sequence length, which then makes so you'd have to edit all the repeats to change stuff.

          Good points!

          -Aaron

          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 22, 2008
            Yeah, as I mentioned in my other post, this sort of stopping drives me nuts.

            Also, as I've said, try Xmix. Since you can save and switch patterns while playing (make sure you save your edits before editing the next!), you can easily set up a duplicate sequence then use Xmix to pull in interesting tracks in realtime. Give it a shot, you might like the flexibility!

            Also, another interesting thing is to save your sequence to a new location while playing. This automatically puts you in the new sequence without stopping or resyncing to the beginning or anything. You can make a variation then switch between in realtime. Also, you could then record those changes in song mode too...

            -Aaron

            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 22, 2008
              Aaron, that's exactly what I like from the command station, and I thing, the non-stopping concept is the most distiguable issue of the command station.

              I only play with hardware, hate computers for music performance, cause I mostly play on stage on realtime.

              So my process of composition requires from a dynamic concept of entering/inputing information and its manipulation and modification processes during the process of editing-recording.

              The act of stoping the sequencer, entering an edit menu, the tedious messages of –please watting- saving-loading data- etc, make composers lose a lot of time and inspiration.

              I love the style of the command station. You always have to find the g-spot of your synth, that point where it exploits and give its best in a hardware synth environment. When you work with several different devices interacting together, you have to find the place where each synth fits the best. Command station is GREAT for inputing information, inputing notes, and, at the same time, going to the patch edition and make modifications to the patch in order to fit into the song. Nobody thinks about issues like these ones, but they are so helpful when working with several synths.

              I have two command stations, they work on my setup like the two sides off the brain. One of them controls objective, tangible ,very logic and reasonable sound concepts, and the other one, works more with the abstract and subjective concepts of the music, the combination of both results on a balance between order and chaotic music.

              I control a Roland SP 808 sampler and a VIRUS T1 with a XL7, and a Roland V Synth and a Kurzweil K2500 with a EMU MP 7. And I also have found the command stations sounds very useful with the percussion side of my music.

              I just complaint about issues like:

              Moving the curson on the edition mode, in order to advance from note to note. Editing a big group of notes one by one is horrible tedious, since you have only the cursor buttons to navigate throught them.

              I like to add randomized values to my notes to give a human touch to the track. I don’t like too accurate start times, so, if recorded quantized, I go note by note to modify the start time of each one. That’s very hard on the command station. There are so much features that could be improved on the command station without having to change the hardware, that I can’t mention all off them, and they could be added witth just a few additions on the software. For example, you aren’t able to hear a patch before overwriting it, you are not able to browse by category when you are gonna save a patch (so, you could find faster empty slots for saving patches) and other small details, that all together could improve the command station.

              But I want to let you know that I’m a big fan of your design. Have more than 20 synths, some of them wonderful machines like the Vsynth, the Virus or the roland Jupiter, and command station are between my favorintes, and one of the synths I’ll never sell.

              I use them so much, that I have destroyed around 10 of the edition buttons, like the stop, rec, play and cursor buttons. I had to replace them my sefl, due to over use. Around 3

              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 23, 2008
                on the rm1x, is there anything special about 60 "styles" * 16
                "variations", or is that really just a fancy way of saying "960 patterns"?
                is there any special relation between the styles and variations?

                can the rm1x have multiple midi channels per track? looking at the manual,
                it doesn't seem possible.

                on the xl7, with xmix, is it feasible to go back and forth between a
                source pattern and the original? or are there too many button presses
                required to go back and forth quickly?

                --
                ...atom

                ________________________
                http://atom.smasher.org/
                762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

                "The basic idea behind open source is very simple. When
                programmers on the Internet can read, redistribute,
                and modify the source for a piece of software, it
                evolves. People improve it, people adapt it, people
                fix bugs. And this can happen at a speed that, if one
                is used to the slow pace of conventional software
                development, seems astonishing."
                -- Introduction to Open Source - www.opensource.org
              • gutman75
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 24, 2008
                  Thanks for all replies! It's an interesting and useful discussion.
                  (for convenience, I'm responding to several posts at once)

                  Atom Smasher <atom@...> wrote:
                  > on the rm1x, is there anything special about 60 "styles" * 16
                  > "variations", or is that really just a fancy way of saying "960
                  > patterns"? is there any special relation between the styles and
                  > variations?

                  "Variations" are just assignments of MIDI "phrases" to the 16 tracks.
                  The instruments, effects and track->channel routings do not change.
                  If you know Ableton Live, think of a "style" as a Live project,
                  and "variations"
                  as scenes.

                  What's interesting is that phrases can be named, and phrase memory is
                  global (shared among all styles). This means that you can change a
                  phrase that a track plays, to any other phrase from Rm1x memory, in
                  realtime - somewhat like Xmix, except that the change happens when
                  phrase loops over, rather than instantly.

                  > can the rm1x have multiple midi channels per track? looking at the
                  > manual, it doesn't seem possible.
                  No, it's not possible.

                  Aaron Eppolito <synthesis77@...> wrote:
                  > Also, as I've said, try Xmix. Since you can save and switch
                  > patterns while playing (make sure you save your edits before
                  > editing the next!), you can easily set up a duplicate sequence
                  > then use Xmix to pull in interesting tracks in realtime.
                  > Give it a shot, you might like the flexibility!
                  >
                  > Also, another interesting thing is to save your sequence to a new
                  > location while playing. This automatically puts you in the new
                  > sequence without stopping or resyncing to the beginning or anything.
                  > You can make a variation then switch between in realtime.
                  > Also, you could then record those changes in song mode too...

                  Thanks for the suggestions Aaron! I really should try this, and look
                  deeper into Xmix.

                  Mauricio Balma <balmaproducer@...> wrote:
                  > I have two command stations, they work on my setup like the two
                  > sides off the brain. One of them controls objective, tangible,
                  > very logic and reasonable sound concepts, and the other one, works
                  > more with the abstract and subjective concepts of the music, the
                  > combination of both results on a balance between order and chaotic
                  music.

                  Now that is really intriguing! So, you run both sequencers in
                  parallel? I actually have XL7 and MP7, and thought of selling one of
                  them. But now I'm having second thoughts.. :))
                • Atom Smasher
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 24, 2008
                    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, gutman75 wrote:

                    > Thanks for all replies! It's an interesting and useful discussion. (for
                    > convenience, I'm responding to several posts at once)
                    =================

                    thank ~you~ (and everyone else) for the answers ;)

                    > "Variations" are just assignments of MIDI "phrases" to the 16 tracks.
                    > The instruments, effects and track->channel routings do not change. If
                    > you know Ableton Live, think of a "style" as a Live project, and
                    > "variations" as scenes.
                    >
                    > What's interesting is that phrases can be named, and phrase memory is
                    > global (shared among all styles). This means that you can change a
                    > phrase that a track plays, to any other phrase from Rm1x memory, in
                    > realtime - somewhat like Xmix, except that the change happens when
                    > phrase loops over, rather than instantly.
                    ==================

                    i'm not familiar with ableton, so that doesn't help.

                    i've got an rm1x on the way, and should have an xl7 deal wrapped up soon,
                    then i should be able to figure them out. from what i've been able to find
                    out, one or both of them should be what i've been looking for.

                    --
                    ...atom

                    ________________________
                    http://atom.smasher.org/
                    762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

                    "We are in an era of unprecedented threats to
                    biodiversity. The loss of species is estimated
                    to be running 50 to 500 times higher than background
                    rates found in the fossil record... Indeed, the
                    livestock sector may well be the leading player in the
                    reduction of biodiversity, since it is the major driver
                    of deforestation, as well as one of the leading drivers
                    of land degradation, pollution, climate change,
                    overfishing, sedimentation of coastal areas and
                    facilitation of invasions by alien species."
                    -- Livestock's long shadow, 2006
                    UN report sponsored by WTO, EU, AS-AID, FAO, et al
                  • Atom Smasher
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 22, 2008
                      On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, gutman75 wrote:

                      >> i don't get the "16 variations" bit... if i had an XL7, couldn't i just
                      >> use 16 patterns and consider each one a "variation"? how is that
                      >> different/better about the RM1x?
                      >
                      > It's not 16 unrelated patterns, it's just different assignment of MIDI
                      > phrases to the same tracks. Say you have a nice drum loop going on track
                      > 1, but would like to add some breaks to it once in a while. On XL7,
                      > you'd have to dedicate another track to the task (say track 16), set it
                      > to the same MIDI channel, and then for a break you'd have to mute 1 and
                      > unmute 16 simultaneously. This is possible, but isn't easy, and this is
                      > just for variation on a single track. On Rm1x, all 16 tracks can switch
                      > to playing something else in realtime (the switch is quantized to 1 bar
                      > or 1/16th) with a single button press.
                      ====================

                      what are the codes to un/mute tracks?

                      > Since I got the XL7, I got a bunch of loops made in an easy, free-
                      > flowing way - start sequencer, record something, move on to the next
                      > track; don't like what you did - erase and repeat. The main problem with
                      > stuff made this way is that it doesn't go anywhere - all variation is
                      > limited to muting/unmuting tracks.
                      =================

                      now that i've played with it... you could save a pattern to a new
                      (preferably adjacent) location and edit them separately. rinse, repeat,
                      mute, change patterns...

                      --
                      ...atom

                      ________________________
                      http://atom.smasher.org/
                      762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

                      "I don't know anything about music.
                      In my line you don't have to."
                      -- Elvis Presley
                    • Atom Smasher
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 22, 2008
                        On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Atom Smasher wrote:

                        > speaking of the 32 bar limit, can 2 (or more) patterns be somehow
                        > "linked" into a unit longer than 32 bars? can it be hacked: can i record
                        > a sysex message in pattern "a" that selects pattern "b", and select
                        > pattern "a" from pattern "b", and form a loop of 64 bars?
                        ===============

                        i haven't tried this, and i might not need to... but i'm curious if it
                        will work... if anyone tries it please report back here...

                        using the sysex messages i posted to change patterns, can you record those
                        messages into a pattern and have two (or more) patterns loop themselves?

                        --
                        ...atom

                        ________________________
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 22, 2008
                          i'm going over the Sysex Button IDs -
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xl7/message/16527 and i have *no* idea how
                          to put that information into any usable form. i don't see how those
                          numbers translate into either the hidden parameters (like the 0x79 ox20
                          you gave me for the tap button) or the numbers on page 37 of the sysex
                          book. i suppose i could use page 37 and trail-n-error to figure out how to
                          activate the buttons via midi... but it'd be great if you can give me a
                          clue ;)

                          thanks...

                          --
                          ...atom

                          ________________________
                          http://atom.smasher.org/
                          762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

                          "As long as war is regarded as wicked, it will
                          always have its fascination. When it is looked
                          upon as vulgar, it will cease to be popular."
                          -- Oscar Wilde
                        • Aaron Eppolito
                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 22, 2008
                            Easier would be to just set your time signature to 8/4 (or 16/4 or 32/4 or 64/4 or 96/4!)

                            -Aaron

                            PS. you can load patterns longer than 32 measures, but you might not be able to get to them (other than playing them)
                            PPS. you also can't *record* sysex, though you can embed it with an external sequencer

                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 23, 2008
                              A few months ago I took down many of my posts and all of my files (I
                              think) on embedded sysex, remote control, and related concepts. In part
                              I wanted to reorganize the material, but never got around to it.
                              Unfortunately, I have no idea where I saved the docs. I will look and
                              se if I can develop some tutorials that take into account the current
                              discussion. The content may be contained in discussions still posted. I
                              will look and post links if I find any relevant discussions. --Steve

                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 27, 2008
                                --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, Atom Smasher <atom@...> wrote:

                                > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, gutman75 wrote:
                                >
                                > >> i don't get the "16 variations" bit... if i had an XL7, couldn't
                                i just
                                > >> use 16 patterns and consider each one a "variation"? how is that
                                > >> different/better about the RM1x?
                                > >
                                > > It's not 16 unrelated patterns, it's just different assignment of
                                MIDI
                                > > phrases to the same tracks. Say you have a nice drum loop going
                                on track
                                > > 1, but would like to add some breaks to it once in a while. On
                                XL7,
                                > > you'd have to dedicate another track to the task (say track 16),
                                set it
                                > > to the same MIDI channel, and then for a break you'd have to mute
                                1 and
                                > > unmute 16 simultaneously. This is possible, but isn't easy, and
                                this is
                                > > just for variation on a single track. On Rm1x, all 16 tracks can
                                switch
                                > > to playing something else in realtime (the switch is quantized to
                                1 bar
                                > > or 1/16th) with a single button press.
                                > ====================
                                >
                                > what are the codes to un/mute tracks?

                                There are 16 buttons for muting/unmuting tracks or selecting one of
                                the 16 variations. I'm not sure there are codes for that (you mean
                                SysEx, I suppose?), never checked it.
                              • Atom Smasher
                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 28, 2008
                                  On Sun, 27 Apr 2008, gutman75 wrote:

                                  >> what are the codes to un/mute tracks?
                                  >
                                  > There are 16 buttons for muting/unmuting tracks or selecting one of the
                                  > 16 variations. I'm not sure there are codes for that (you mean SysEx, I
                                  > suppose?), never checked it.
                                  ==============

                                  i mean, on the xx7, what are the sysex codes to either a) un/mute tracks
                                  or b) emulate button presses.

                                  based on my new and limited understanding of xx7 sysex, i'm guessing that
                                  the first form would be hidden sysex and the second form would be an
                                  emulation of front-panel button presses.

                                  --
                                  ...atom

                                  http://atom.smasher.org/
                                  762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

                                  "Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities
                                  has the power to make you commit injustices."
                                  -- Voltaire
                                • fretsmax@sbcglobal.net
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 28, 2008
                                    You can jump to different tracks recording without skipping a beat.