RM1x - Re: [xl7] Re: XL7, compared to...

  • gutman75
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 16, 2008
      --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, Atom Smasher <atom@...> wrote:

      > i don't get the "16 variations" bit... if i had an XL7, couldn't i
      just
      > use 16 patterns and consider each one a "variation"? how is that
      > different/better about the RM1x?

      It's not 16 unrelated patterns, it's just different assignment of
      MIDI phrases to the same tracks. Say you have a nice drum loop going
      on track 1, but would like to add some breaks to it once in a while.
      On XL7, you'd have to dedicate another track to the task (say track
      16), set it to the same MIDI channel, and then for a break you'd have
      to mute 1 and unmute 16 simultaneously. This is possible, but isn't
      easy, and this is just for variation on a single track.
      On Rm1x, all 16 tracks can switch to playing something else in
      realtime (the switch is quantized to 1 bar or 1/16th) with a single
      button press.

      > my impression of the XL7 is that it could also be used for
      performance
      > remixing, and in theory the sequencer largely overlaps the features
      of the
      > RM1x. ignoring the sounds, would you say that they largely overlap
      for
      > that purpose?
      >
      > if you were also using the hardware sequencer to compose, which
      would you
      > like better?

      When I first got the Rm1x and we were jamming with friends, I would
      start banging some grooves, and the others got on and the jam starts
      rolling, and then I'd have to say: OK folks, please hold it, I gotta
      record that. It was really frustrating :)). The XL7 sequencer is
      much more immediate and fun.
      Since I got the XL7, I got a bunch of loops made in an easy, free-
      flowing way - start sequencer, record something, move on to the next
      track; don't like what you did - erase and repeat. The main problem
      with stuff made this way is that it doesn't go anywhere - all
      variation is limited to muting/unmuting tracks.

      Maybe the real deal would be to make loops on XL7 and then dump them
      to Rm1x - if I could just figure out a way to do it :)

      > > - nice "midi echo" effect. Would be even nicer if it worked on
      incoming
      > > MIDI notes - as it is, works on recorded notes only.
      > ==================
      >
      > i wonder if that's similar to the feature on the MC50... it can
      emulate a
      > delay? i've got plenty of effect units, so it's not something i
      need.

      Since it's MIDI delay, you can modify velocity and even note number
      of successive repeats - so, if connected to a *real* synthesizer or a
      sampler (make a patch that reacts to velocity in an interesting way)
      this opens some possibilities that an audio delay cannot provide.
      Still haven't tried it myself, though ))

      have a great day!
      Boris.
    • Atom Smasher
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 16, 2008
        On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, gutman75 wrote:

        >> i don't get the "16 variations" bit... if i had an XL7, couldn't i just
        >> use 16 patterns and consider each one a "variation"? how is that
        >> different/better about the RM1x?
        >
        > It's not 16 unrelated patterns, it's just different assignment of MIDI
        > phrases to the same tracks. Say you have a nice drum loop going on track
        > 1, but would like to add some breaks to it once in a while. On XL7,
        > you'd have to dedicate another track to the task (say track 16), set it
        > to the same MIDI channel, and then for a break you'd have to mute 1 and
        > unmute 16 simultaneously. This is possible, but isn't easy, and this is
        > just for variation on a single track. On Rm1x, all 16 tracks can switch
        > to playing something else in realtime (the switch is quantized to 1 bar
        > or 1/16th) with a single button press.
        ====================

        that sounds cool... but when you say 16 variations, is that 1 variation
        per track? or can i have 2 variations for 8 tracks? or...?

        > Maybe the real deal would be to make loops on XL7 and then dump them to
        > Rm1x - if I could just figure out a way to do it :)
        =====================

        if all else fails you could do it the same way i'd dump sequences from an
        MC50 to an MMT8... with a MIDI cable, one track at a time. neither fun nor
        fast, but it works.

        --
        ...atom

        ________________________
        http://atom.smasher.org/
        762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

        "Beware, a record of the books you borrow may end up
        in the hands of the FBI. And if the FBI requests
        your records, librarians are prohibited by law from
        telling you about it. Questions about this policy
        should be directed to Attorney General John Ashcroft,
        Department of Justice, Washington, D.C. 20530."
        -- Sign greeting patrons entering all 10 of
        the county libraries in Santa Cruz, California
      • Aaron Eppolito
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 22, 2008
          This is a great question, atom. Looks like you're getting some good responses too. I was going to try and consolidate some of the comments, but I guess I'll tackle them individually.

          Zsolt, you hit the nail on the head. "Never Stopping" was my main design goal. I wanted it so that you could do absolutely everything, from tracking to preset editing to saving to switching modes (song/preset) to event list editing without EVER having to stop. There are a very few exceptions (such as offline quantize) that we ended up having to stop because there were bugs otherwise.

          Much like you guys, I was frustrated by the lack of live abilities and the interruption to my improvisational flow that comes from stopping anytime you wanted to do something.

          -Aaron

          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 22, 2008
            Yep, the Rm1x does have some cool features, but the stopping for everything kills the deal for me.

            Note that with version 2.0, you gain XmiX which allows you to selectively switch in tracks from other sequences. You could easily use this to achieve the variations that the Rm1x does, and more. The groove grid is very cool and something we always wanted to do (more generally, any sort of non-destructive realtime quantize). The MC-505 has this too, routed to a knob which is pretty cool.

            MIDI echo is okay, but you can do the same thing in the preset pretty easily (and in realtime too).

            Uneven loop lengths is probably the most useful difference. With the XL-7, you'd have to extend the shorter tracks out to the sequence length, which then makes so you'd have to edit all the repeats to change stuff.

            Good points!

            -Aaron

            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 22, 2008
              Yeah, as I mentioned in my other post, this sort of stopping drives me nuts.

              Also, as I've said, try Xmix. Since you can save and switch patterns while playing (make sure you save your edits before editing the next!), you can easily set up a duplicate sequence then use Xmix to pull in interesting tracks in realtime. Give it a shot, you might like the flexibility!

              Also, another interesting thing is to save your sequence to a new location while playing. This automatically puts you in the new sequence without stopping or resyncing to the beginning or anything. You can make a variation then switch between in realtime. Also, you could then record those changes in song mode too...

              -Aaron

              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 22, 2008
                Aaron, that's exactly what I like from the command station, and I thing, the non-stopping concept is the most distiguable issue of the command station.

                I only play with hardware, hate computers for music performance, cause I mostly play on stage on realtime.

                So my process of composition requires from a dynamic concept of entering/inputing information and its manipulation and modification processes during the process of editing-recording.

                The act of stoping the sequencer, entering an edit menu, the tedious messages of –please watting- saving-loading data- etc, make composers lose a lot of time and inspiration.

                I love the style of the command station. You always have to find the g-spot of your synth, that point where it exploits and give its best in a hardware synth environment. When you work with several different devices interacting together, you have to find the place where each synth fits the best. Command station is GREAT for inputing information, inputing notes, and, at the same time, going to the patch edition and make modifications to the patch in order to fit into the song. Nobody thinks about issues like these ones, but they are so helpful when working with several synths.

                I have two command stations, they work on my setup like the two sides off the brain. One of them controls objective, tangible ,very logic and reasonable sound concepts, and the other one, works more with the abstract and subjective concepts of the music, the combination of both results on a balance between order and chaotic music.

                I control a Roland SP 808 sampler and a VIRUS T1 with a XL7, and a Roland V Synth and a Kurzweil K2500 with a EMU MP 7. And I also have found the command stations sounds very useful with the percussion side of my music.

                I just complaint about issues like:

                Moving the curson on the edition mode, in order to advance from note to note. Editing a big group of notes one by one is horrible tedious, since you have only the cursor buttons to navigate throught them.

                I like to add randomized values to my notes to give a human touch to the track. I don’t like too accurate start times, so, if recorded quantized, I go note by note to modify the start time of each one. That’s very hard on the command station. There are so much features that could be improved on the command station without having to change the hardware, that I can’t mention all off them, and they could be added witth just a few additions on the software. For example, you aren’t able to hear a patch before overwriting it, you are not able to browse by category when you are gonna save a patch (so, you could find faster empty slots for saving patches) and other small details, that all together could improve the command station.

                But I want to let you know that I’m a big fan of your design. Have more than 20 synths, some of them wonderful machines like the Vsynth, the Virus or the roland Jupiter, and command station are between my favorintes, and one of the synths I’ll never sell.

                I use them so much, that I have destroyed around 10 of the edition buttons, like the stop, rec, play and cursor buttons. I had to replace them my sefl, due to over use. Around 3

                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 23, 2008
                  on the rm1x, is there anything special about 60 "styles" * 16
                  "variations", or is that really just a fancy way of saying "960 patterns"?
                  is there any special relation between the styles and variations?

                  can the rm1x have multiple midi channels per track? looking at the manual,
                  it doesn't seem possible.

                  on the xl7, with xmix, is it feasible to go back and forth between a
                  source pattern and the original? or are there too many button presses
                  required to go back and forth quickly?

                  --
                  ...atom

                  ________________________
                  http://atom.smasher.org/
                  762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

                  "The basic idea behind open source is very simple. When
                  programmers on the Internet can read, redistribute,
                  and modify the source for a piece of software, it
                  evolves. People improve it, people adapt it, people
                  fix bugs. And this can happen at a speed that, if one
                  is used to the slow pace of conventional software
                  development, seems astonishing."
                  -- Introduction to Open Source - www.opensource.org
                • gutman75
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 24, 2008
                    Thanks for all replies! It's an interesting and useful discussion.
                    (for convenience, I'm responding to several posts at once)

                    Atom Smasher <atom@...> wrote:
                    > on the rm1x, is there anything special about 60 "styles" * 16
                    > "variations", or is that really just a fancy way of saying "960
                    > patterns"? is there any special relation between the styles and
                    > variations?

                    "Variations" are just assignments of MIDI "phrases" to the 16 tracks.
                    The instruments, effects and track->channel routings do not change.
                    If you know Ableton Live, think of a "style" as a Live project,
                    and "variations"
                    as scenes.

                    What's interesting is that phrases can be named, and phrase memory is
                    global (shared among all styles). This means that you can change a
                    phrase that a track plays, to any other phrase from Rm1x memory, in
                    realtime - somewhat like Xmix, except that the change happens when
                    phrase loops over, rather than instantly.

                    > can the rm1x have multiple midi channels per track? looking at the
                    > manual, it doesn't seem possible.
                    No, it's not possible.

                    Aaron Eppolito <synthesis77@...> wrote:
                    > Also, as I've said, try Xmix. Since you can save and switch
                    > patterns while playing (make sure you save your edits before
                    > editing the next!), you can easily set up a duplicate sequence
                    > then use Xmix to pull in interesting tracks in realtime.
                    > Give it a shot, you might like the flexibility!
                    >
                    > Also, another interesting thing is to save your sequence to a new
                    > location while playing. This automatically puts you in the new
                    > sequence without stopping or resyncing to the beginning or anything.
                    > You can make a variation then switch between in realtime.
                    > Also, you could then record those changes in song mode too...

                    Thanks for the suggestions Aaron! I really should try this, and look
                    deeper into Xmix.

                    Mauricio Balma <balmaproducer@...> wrote:
                    > I have two command stations, they work on my setup like the two
                    > sides off the brain. One of them controls objective, tangible,
                    > very logic and reasonable sound concepts, and the other one, works
                    > more with the abstract and subjective concepts of the music, the
                    > combination of both results on a balance between order and chaotic
                    music.

                    Now that is really intriguing! So, you run both sequencers in
                    parallel? I actually have XL7 and MP7, and thought of selling one of
                    them. But now I'm having second thoughts.. :))
                  • Atom Smasher
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 24, 2008
                      On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, gutman75 wrote:

                      > Thanks for all replies! It's an interesting and useful discussion. (for
                      > convenience, I'm responding to several posts at once)
                      =================

                      thank ~you~ (and everyone else) for the answers ;)

                      > "Variations" are just assignments of MIDI "phrases" to the 16 tracks.
                      > The instruments, effects and track->channel routings do not change. If
                      > you know Ableton Live, think of a "style" as a Live project, and
                      > "variations" as scenes.
                      >
                      > What's interesting is that phrases can be named, and phrase memory is
                      > global (shared among all styles). This means that you can change a
                      > phrase that a track plays, to any other phrase from Rm1x memory, in
                      > realtime - somewhat like Xmix, except that the change happens when
                      > phrase loops over, rather than instantly.
                      ==================

                      i'm not familiar with ableton, so that doesn't help.

                      i've got an rm1x on the way, and should have an xl7 deal wrapped up soon,
                      then i should be able to figure them out. from what i've been able to find
                      out, one or both of them should be what i've been looking for.

                      --
                      ...atom

                      ________________________
                      http://atom.smasher.org/
                      762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

                      "We are in an era of unprecedented threats to
                      biodiversity. The loss of species is estimated
                      to be running 50 to 500 times higher than background
                      rates found in the fossil record... Indeed, the
                      livestock sector may well be the leading player in the
                      reduction of biodiversity, since it is the major driver
                      of deforestation, as well as one of the leading drivers
                      of land degradation, pollution, climate change,
                      overfishing, sedimentation of coastal areas and
                      facilitation of invasions by alien species."
                      -- Livestock's long shadow, 2006
                      UN report sponsored by WTO, EU, AS-AID, FAO, et al
                    • Atom Smasher
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 22, 2008
                        On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, gutman75 wrote:

                        >> i don't get the "16 variations" bit... if i had an XL7, couldn't i just
                        >> use 16 patterns and consider each one a "variation"? how is that
                        >> different/better about the RM1x?
                        >
                        > It's not 16 unrelated patterns, it's just different assignment of MIDI
                        > phrases to the same tracks. Say you have a nice drum loop going on track
                        > 1, but would like to add some breaks to it once in a while. On XL7,
                        > you'd have to dedicate another track to the task (say track 16), set it
                        > to the same MIDI channel, and then for a break you'd have to mute 1 and
                        > unmute 16 simultaneously. This is possible, but isn't easy, and this is
                        > just for variation on a single track. On Rm1x, all 16 tracks can switch
                        > to playing something else in realtime (the switch is quantized to 1 bar
                        > or 1/16th) with a single button press.
                        ====================

                        what are the codes to un/mute tracks?

                        > Since I got the XL7, I got a bunch of loops made in an easy, free-
                        > flowing way - start sequencer, record something, move on to the next
                        > track; don't like what you did - erase and repeat. The main problem with
                        > stuff made this way is that it doesn't go anywhere - all variation is
                        > limited to muting/unmuting tracks.
                        =================

                        now that i've played with it... you could save a pattern to a new
                        (preferably adjacent) location and edit them separately. rinse, repeat,
                        mute, change patterns...

                        --
                        ...atom

                        ________________________
                        http://atom.smasher.org/
                        762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

                        "I don't know anything about music.
                        In my line you don't have to."
                        -- Elvis Presley
                      • Atom Smasher
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 22, 2008
                          On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Atom Smasher wrote:

                          > speaking of the 32 bar limit, can 2 (or more) patterns be somehow
                          > "linked" into a unit longer than 32 bars? can it be hacked: can i record
                          > a sysex message in pattern "a" that selects pattern "b", and select
                          > pattern "a" from pattern "b", and form a loop of 64 bars?
                          ===============

                          i haven't tried this, and i might not need to... but i'm curious if it
                          will work... if anyone tries it please report back here...

                          using the sysex messages i posted to change patterns, can you record those
                          messages into a pattern and have two (or more) patterns loop themselves?

                          --
                          ...atom

                          ________________________
                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 22, 2008
                            i'm going over the Sysex Button IDs -
                            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xl7/message/16527 and i have *no* idea how
                            to put that information into any usable form. i don't see how those
                            numbers translate into either the hidden parameters (like the 0x79 ox20
                            you gave me for the tap button) or the numbers on page 37 of the sysex
                            book. i suppose i could use page 37 and trail-n-error to figure out how to
                            activate the buttons via midi... but it'd be great if you can give me a
                            clue ;)

                            thanks...

                            --
                            ...atom

                            ________________________
                            http://atom.smasher.org/
                            762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

                            "As long as war is regarded as wicked, it will
                            always have its fascination. When it is looked
                            upon as vulgar, it will cease to be popular."
                            -- Oscar Wilde
                          • Aaron Eppolito
                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 22, 2008
                              Easier would be to just set your time signature to 8/4 (or 16/4 or 32/4 or 64/4 or 96/4!)

                              -Aaron

                              PS. you can load patterns longer than 32 measures, but you might not be able to get to them (other than playing them)
                              PPS. you also can't *record* sysex, though you can embed it with an external sequencer

                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 23, 2008
                                A few months ago I took down many of my posts and all of my files (I
                                think) on embedded sysex, remote control, and related concepts. In part
                                I wanted to reorganize the material, but never got around to it.
                                Unfortunately, I have no idea where I saved the docs. I will look and
                                se if I can develop some tutorials that take into account the current
                                discussion. The content may be contained in discussions still posted. I
                                will look and post links if I find any relevant discussions. --Steve

                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 27, 2008
                                  --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, Atom Smasher <atom@...> wrote:

                                  > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, gutman75 wrote:
                                  >
                                  > >> i don't get the "16 variations" bit... if i had an XL7, couldn't
                                  i just
                                  > >> use 16 patterns and consider each one a "variation"? how is that
                                  > >> different/better about the RM1x?
                                  > >
                                  > > It's not 16 unrelated patterns, it's just different assignment of
                                  MIDI
                                  > > phrases to the same tracks. Say you have a nice drum loop going
                                  on track
                                  > > 1, but would like to add some breaks to it once in a while. On
                                  XL7,
                                  > > you'd have to dedicate another track to the task (say track 16),
                                  set it
                                  > > to the same MIDI channel, and then for a break you'd have to mute
                                  1 and
                                  > > unmute 16 simultaneously. This is possible, but isn't easy, and
                                  this is
                                  > > just for variation on a single track. On Rm1x, all 16 tracks can
                                  switch
                                  > > to playing something else in realtime (the switch is quantized to
                                  1 bar
                                  > > or 1/16th) with a single button press.
                                  > ====================
                                  >
                                  > what are the codes to un/mute tracks?

                                  There are 16 buttons for muting/unmuting tracks or selecting one of
                                  the 16 variations. I'm not sure there are codes for that (you mean
                                  SysEx, I suppose?), never checked it.
                                • Atom Smasher
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 28, 2008
                                    On Sun, 27 Apr 2008, gutman75 wrote:

                                    >> what are the codes to un/mute tracks?
                                    >
                                    > There are 16 buttons for muting/unmuting tracks or selecting one of the
                                    > 16 variations. I'm not sure there are codes for that (you mean SysEx, I
                                    > suppose?), never checked it.
                                    ==============

                                    i mean, on the xx7, what are the sysex codes to either a) un/mute tracks
                                    or b) emulate button presses.

                                    based on my new and limited understanding of xx7 sysex, i'm guessing that
                                    the first form would be hidden sysex and the second form would be an
                                    emulation of front-panel button presses.

                                    --
                                    ...atom

                                    http://atom.smasher.org/
                                    762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

                                    "Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities
                                    has the power to make you commit injustices."
                                    -- Voltaire
                                  • fretsmax@sbcglobal.net
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 28, 2008
                                      You can jump to different tracks recording without skipping a beat.