Re: New Emu Command Station Group - Moderated - WARNING!!!!!

  • Bryant
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hey Steve,

      I generally do not antagonize people but this is one of the stupidest
      things I have read. If you like to do research so much, look at when
      I joined the group. That information is as readily available as how
      many post I have made.

      The spam problem existed before I came here.

      It is also going to get worse.

      Just in case you are not familiar with how it works I will give you a
      rundown.

      Spammer joins a group to see if it is moderated and places test spam
      message. If the message is not deleted and gets a click thru, it is
      considered to be a spamable group and is added to a list.

      The list is sold to other spammers. This creates a snowball effect.

      Over time spammers eventually overrun the group.

      This group is in the process right now.

      You should not get any spam in any group that is moderated. I belong
      to several groups and I moderate several groups. The spam is
      controled in all but this one.

      If you are not interesed in a new group then let it go. Continue here
      with your spam.

      Bryant

      --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "steve_the_composer" <smw-mail@...> wrote:

      > (1) Usually the Yahoo groups I belong to have about the same amount
      of
      > spam. However, over the past week or so, there seems to have been
      an
      > increase in the XL-7 group spam.
      >
      > (2) Just for the fun of it, I checked to see what other
      posts "Bryant"
      > had here before his This-group-is-over-run-by-spam . . . So-join-my-
      > group" post. I FOUND NONE!!!!
      >
      > So, the question is, why did someone who evidently did not post
      > anything here before suddenly start complaining and trying to get
      > others to join his group? (A good follow-up question is why the
      > increase in spam in this particular group all of a sudden.)
      >
      > Just wondering.

    • beng_van_vianen
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 1, 2007
        Hi All,

        I agree with Bryant.

        I own a PX-7 and a Vintage PRO with additional several ROMS.
        Although not contributing actively I have followed the group the last
        couple of years and when spam hit a high I started to sent complaints
        about spammers to <groups-abuse@...-inc.com>.
        Usually shortly after the complaint was filed I got a message by
        Yahoo! customer support and the spammer disapeared (was removed).
        There might be other members doing similar.
        I stopped this activity for several reasons 1) my Gmail account is
        quite good in filtering out spam 2) it took a lot of time to write to
        groups-abuse. 3) Yahoo customer support rather have that the owner or
        moderator did the clansing: "If you are the Owner or Moderator of the
        Group, you can permanently ban a member by following these steps: . .
        ." 4) No reply from e-mails to Owner/Moderator. 5) Yahoo! customer
        support at some point suggested to start a new group to be able to
        control spam.
        The bad about this is that all history ("how to" articles, templates
        etc.) of the group is gone and has to be rebuild somehow.

        *** start *** Answer to question can a new moderator be appointed ***
        Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Groups.

        Due to our Privacy Policy, we cannot appoint a new owner/moderator to
        the group. If the owner cannot be contacted, one alternative is for you
        to create your own group and send out invitations to those people who
        you would like to join your new group.

        Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Groups.
        *** end *** Answer to question can a new moderator be appointed ***

        List of spammers.
        At a certain point I found out there is a regularity in spammer names
        and I compiled a list of all the spammers I reportred to abuse.
        Below the list of all spammers:

        20070804
        chani-kopnicky594@... <chani-kopnicky594@...>

        20070804
        welcomemilitary <welcomemilitary@...>

        20070727
        maneisha-mccarthy268@...
        <maneisha-mccarthy268@...>

        20070719/20
        savanna-terk182@... <savanna-terk182@...>

        20070715
        skye-ollmann696@... <skye-ollmann696@...>

        20070624
        bikerguyz0294 <bikerguyz0294@...>

        20070619
        tatto Osh <tt_sh15@...>

        20070611
        skye-ollmann398@... <skye-ollmann398@...>

        03-june-2007
        chani-kopnicky198@... <chani-kopnicky198@...>

        31-may-2007 cc to XL-7owner@yahoogroups.com
        skye-ollmann879@... <skye-ollmann879@...> (2
        spam)

        21-may-2007
        maneisha-mccarthy801@...
        <maneisha-mccarthy801@...> (2 spam)

        11may-2007
        skye-ollmann782@... <skye-ollmann782@...>

        6-may-2007
        sherry-heath665@... <sherry-heath665@...> -
        starting 02may2007
        erika-haven997@...
        <erika-haven997@...> - starting 02may2007
        muriel-berggren151@... <muriel-berggren151@...>
        - starting 02may2007

        18-apr-2007
        "sherry-heath173@..." <sherry-heath173@...>

        07-apr-2007
        maneisha-mccarthy882@... <maneisha-mccarthy882@...> (5
        spam messages)
        erika-haven730@... <erika-haven730@...> (2 spam
        messages)
        teisha-reifel396@... <teisha-reifel396@...> (1
        spam message)

        nuala-alexander172@...
        lily-gannaway111@...
        sherry-heath893@...
        Euro_pe_1326@...
        sherry-heath870@...
        "sahil_flover" <sahil_flover@...>
        "cherryninasc" <cherryninasc@...>
        Maris Carlos <mariszcarlos@...>
        'maneisha-mccarthy988@...'
        "martinacute1" <martinacute1@...>
        "stellacute1" <stellacute1@...>
        Tomas Link (AKA tomas_link_1991) Tomas Link <tomas_link_1991@...>

        The best thing would be to have an active moderator, as Bryant
        explains if you do not weed out the spammers the spam messages will
        overflood the forum. This will make the forum completely useless.
        As <groups-abuse@...-inc.com> is getting less willing to
        intervene this might become a real problem.

        If customer service cannot contact the owner/moderators of the group
        then the best thing would be to organize an election to get new active
        ones.

        Regards,
        Bengeo.

        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 1, 2007
          --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "Bryant" <bryant@...> wrote:

          > If you like to do research so much, look at when
          > I joined the group. That information is as readily available as
          > how many post I have made.

          Thanks for the tip. When I went to members, it says you joined
          September 9, 2007. Since that is two days AFTER the September 7, 2007
          post, I don't know what to think. Perhaps this reflects joining,
          then unjoining, then joining again. I'm not sure why someone would do
          this, though.

          > Just in case you are not familiar with how it works I will give you
          > a rundown.
          >
          > Spammer joins a group to see if it is moderated and places test
          > spam message. If the message is not deleted and gets a click thru,
          > it is considered to be a spamable group and is added to a list.
          >
          > The list is sold to other spammers. This creates a snowball effect.
          >
          > Over time spammers eventually overrun the group.
          >
          > This group is in the process right now.

          WOW! You know a whole lot more than me about how spammers operate.
        • Shane
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 4, 2007
            I think someone pulled someone else's card here..

            steve_the_composer <smw-mail@...> wrote:
            --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "Bryant" <bryant@...> wrote:

            > If you like to do research so much, look at when
            > I joined the group. That information is as readily available as
            > how many post I have made.

            Thanks for the tip. When I went to members, it says you joined
            September 9, 2007. Since that is two days AFTER the September 7, 2007
            post, I don't know what to think. Perhaps this reflects joining,
            then unjoining, then joining again. I'm not sure why someone would do
            this, though.

            > Just in case you are not familiar with how it works I will give you
            > a rundown.
            >
            > Spammer joins a group to see if it is moderated and places test
            > spam message. If the message is not deleted and gets a click thru,
            > it is considered to be a spamable group and is added to a list.
            >
            > The list is sold to other spammers. This creates a snowball effect.
            >
            > Over time spammers eventually overrun the group.
            >
            > This group is in the process right now.

            WOW! You know a whole lot more than me about how spammers operate.

            Music is a moral law,
            it gives wings to the mind, a soul to the universe
            flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness
            a life to everything,
            Plato, 400 B.C

          • Shane
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 4, 2007
              it says you joined
              September 9, 2007. Since that is two days AFTER the September 7, 2007
              post, I don't know what to think. Perhaps this reflects joining,
              then unjoining, then joining again. I'm not sure why someone would do
              this, though.

              Steve scored 1 -- Bryant 0 want to throw in the towel, however we do have a medical team standing by

              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 4, 2007
                Hmmm.. LET"S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!!!!

                steve_the_composer <smw-mail@...> wrote: --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "Bryant" <bryant@...> wrote:

                > If you like to do research so much, look at when
                > I joined the group. That information is as readily available as
                > how many post I have made.

                Thanks for the tip. When I went to members, it says you joined
                September 9, 2007. Since that is two days AFTER the September 7, 2007
                post, I don't know what to think. Perhaps this reflects joining,
                then unjoining, then joining again. I'm not sure why someone would do
                this, though.

                > Just in case you are not familiar with how it works I will give you
                > a rundown.
                >
                > Spammer joins a group to see if it is moderated and places test
                > spam message. If the message is not deleted and gets a click thru,
                > it is considered to be a spamable group and is added to a list.
                >
                > The list is sold to other spammers. This creates a snowball effect.
                >
                > Over time spammers eventually overrun the group.
                >
                > This group is in the process right now.

                WOW! You know a whole lot more than me about how spammers operate.

                Music is a moral law,
                it gives wings to the mind, a soul to the universe
                flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness
                a life to everything,
                Plato, 400 B.C

              • Scott Solmonson
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 4, 2007
                  Just so you all know- this whole discussion is far more annoying than "do
                  you know the truth about islam?" and "does your woman laugh at your
                  penises?"

                  Anyway, to make it on-topic- still lookin to trade my XL7 for a PX7,
                  because that white is shit hot!

                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 4, 2007
                    I hope your planning to add at least $100 to your XL7, unless you have xtra roms in there and even then you still might have to fork over a benji at least.. The pX7 is highly sought after, I tried trading before and most wanted more, and my rom slots are maxxed out. You can check out ebay.. I've seen people sell the shell and no rom before and that went for like $150 - $200 .. If I see something I will let you know..

                    Scott Solmonson <scosol@...> wrote: Just so you all know- this whole discussion is far more annoying than "do

                    wrote:

                    >> If you like to do research so much, look at when
                    >> I joined the group. That information is as readily available as
                    >> how many post I have made.
                    >
                    > Thanks for the tip. When I went to members, it says you joined
                    > September 9, 2007. Since that is two days AFTER the September 7, 2007
                    > post, I don't know what to think. Perhaps this reflects joining,
                    > then unjoining, then joining again. I'm not sure why someone would do
                    > this, though.
                    >
                    >> Just in case you are not familiar with how it works I will give you
                    >> a rundown.
                    >>
                    >> Spammer joins a group to see if it is moderated and places test
                    >> spam message. If the message is not deleted and gets a click thru,
                    >> it is considered to be a spamable group and is added to a list.
                    >>
                    >> The list is sold to other spammers. This creates a snowball effect.
                    >>
                    >> Over time spammers eventually overrun the group.
                    >>
                    >> This group is in the process right now.
                    >
                    > WOW! You know a whole lot more than me about how spammers operate.

                    Yahoo! Groups Links