Re: [xl7] Re: Cubase and the XL-7 questions

  • Shane
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 31, 2005
      Thanks I just realized that one

      ed mann <gongworks@...> wrote: As I recall Cubase will only function as Master clock
      - not Slave (i.e. no external source)

      > Havant seen SX for a while but look in the midi sync
      > setup.
      > Set it for external clock source.

      __________________________________

      Drum machines Electronic instrument Electronic drum machine Electronic music Electronic musical instrument Electronic instrument cases

      ---------------------------------

      Music is a moral law,
      it gives wings to the mind, a soul to the universe
      flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness
      a life to everything,
      Plato, 400 B.C

    • gonzinigonz
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2006
        Look again, i set up a friends SX to sync to an external clock, an
        MPC2K to be exact.

        --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, Shane <lvrshn@y...> wrote:

        > Thanks I just realized that one
        >
        > ed mann <gongworks@y...> wrote: As I recall Cubase will only
        function as Master clock
        > - not Slave (i.e. no external source)
        >

        > > Havant seen SX for a while but look in the midi sync
        > > setup.
        > > Set it for external clock source.
        >

        > __________________________________
        > http://brand.yahoo.com/cybergivingweek2005/

        > Drum machines Electronic instrument Electronic drum
        machine Electronic music Electronic musical instrument
        Electronic instrument cases

        Service.

        > ---------------------------------
        >

        > Music is a moral law,
        > it gives wings to the mind, a soul to the universe
        > flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness
        > a life to everything,
        > Plato, 400 B.C

      • Shane
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
          okay, and I'm still having trouble with the e-loader, when I import a midi file from e-loader to cubase SX 2.0, especially if it is a song I get nothing no data or anything.

          ---------------------------------

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
            >I'm still having trouble with the e-loader, when I import a
            >midi file from e-loader to cubase SX 2.0, especially if it is a song
            >I get nothing no data or anything.

            Hi
            Ive just tryed this again and managed to load up a random mid file
            174 bars long pulled of the net with E Loader.
            The software seems to take all the tracks (upto 16 i guess?) and
            combine them into one track once inside the command station.
            Theres only 1 track avaible in song mode which you should be able to
            see the notes / events in the song edit page.
            I transfered it back and re-opened it with cubase.
            All the data was there, all separted back out into there own tracks /
            midi channels.
            Do you actually get tracks created in the main window?
            Did you try and look at the list editor if you did?
            What happens when you try to imprt pattern mid files?
            You can always post the file and i could have a look.

            Cheers
            gonz
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
              A few years ago I tried sorting through how the E-Mu handles midi
              files. Aaron's comments were very helpful. IF I had time, I'd track
              them down and post links to the prior discussion.

              I don't know how cubase handles midi file transfers, but e-loader
              uses the system exclusive protocol for transferring tunes between
              the E-Mu and e-loader. I wasn't aware that anyone else used that
              part of the sysex specs.

              When trying to figure out a satisfactory way of transferring midi
              files between Cakewalk software and the E-mu sequencer, I ran into
              some ideosyncracies that pushed me in the direction (at the time) of
              just getting into hardware sequencing.

              Cakewalk made a number of implementation decisions for midi files as
              did E-Mu. I suspect that's where some of the issues come into play
              with cubase.

              In converting native data to a "standard midi file" chances are good
              something will either be lost, or treated differently from one
              conversion process to another.

              I haven't tried it, but if the E-Mu routines put data from a single
              16 channel SMF track into a single E-Mu track, couldn't someone just
              explode it onto the separate tracks by channel mumber?

              Also, if you set the single track to MultiA or MultiB, won't the E-
              Mu synth engine play all 16 channels in the one track using
              different presets?

              Hope this makes sense; hope it helps.

              --Steve

              --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "gonzinigonz" <gonzini@f...> wrote:

              > >I'm still having trouble with the e-loader, when I import a
              > >midi file from e-loader to cubase SX 2.0, especially if it is a
              song
              > >I get nothing no data or anything.
              >
              > Hi
              > Ive just tryed this again and managed to load up a random mid file
              > 174 bars long pulled of the net with E Loader.
              > The software seems to take all the tracks (upto 16 i guess?) and
              > combine them into one track once inside the command station.
              > Theres only 1 track avaible in song mode which you should be able
              > see the notes / events in the song edit page.
              > I transfered it back and re-opened it with cubase.
              > All the data was there, all separted back out into there own
              tracks /
              > midi channels.
              > Do you actually get tracks created in the main window?
              > Did you try and look at the list editor if you did?
              > What happens when you try to imprt pattern mid files?
              > You can always post the file and i could have a look.
              >
              > Cheers
              > gonz

            • gonzinigonz
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
                > I haven't tried it, but if the E-Mu routines put data from a single
                > 16 channel SMF track into a single E-Mu track, couldn't someone
                >just explode it onto the separate tracks by channel mumber?

                Cubase will do this, i didnt have to set up anything for that to
                happen (this is with a normal mid file not one created from the XL-7
                in song mode)

                > Also, if you set the single track to MultiA or MultiB, won't the E-
                > Mu synth engine play all 16 channels in the one track using
                > different presets?

                Thats right it will :o)

                Think the real problem is that when you create a song the patterns
                dont get saved in the song mid file, so theres nothing to edit other
                than program change etc.. (which will appear in the list editor in
                cubase)
                You can only see the single track data in song mode and thats the
                only midi note data that makes it in the song mid file.
                My MPC2K will create (if its in a good mood..) a complete mid file of
                all the patterns in a song as an extra function for example.
                Dont think ive had too many issues with transfering data between the
                PC and the command station (lucky i guess..)

                gonz
              • condescuento
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 3, 2006
                  --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "gonzinigonz" <gonzini@f...> wrote:

                  > > I haven't tried it, but if the E-Mu routines put data from a single
                  > > 16 channel SMF track into a single E-Mu track, couldn't someone
                  > >just explode it onto the separate tracks by channel mumber?

                  It´s because of SMF 0/1
                  Just select the midi file in Cubase
                  and use the tool seperate midi file by channels (Don´t have SX
                  installed on this machine, but you will find it)

                  Cheers
                  Midinovela
                • Shane
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 3, 2006
                    Thanks so much everyone for your replys, I will try to figure this out. And get back to all, I have a much clearer understanding now

                    gonzinigonz <gonzini@...> wrote: > I haven't tried it, but if the E-Mu routines put data from a single