Re: Any suggestions as I repair my XL7 today?

  • gonzinigonz
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2005
      Hi
      Just to add a word on removing componets from double sided boards..
      Its really hard to remove componets without damaging the PCB in some
      way (over heating) without using proper disoldering tools.
      (I have a weller disoldering station that makes easy work of IC /
      other componet removal)
      Best advice is to cut the legs / pins off of the faulty componet then
      remove each pin indivually with tweezers. Then you can clear the hole
      with a solder sucker.
      As for the metal parts of the pot that are soldered to support the
      pot on the PCB, you can either apply a small amount of solder to get
      good heat transfer and then use a solder sucker to remove excess
      solder to a degree. You will find that the sides will be touching the
      side of the plate through on the PCB so you will have to heat it up
      and push it away from the pad with tweezers or the like.
      Otherwise you can slowly prize the pot out one side at a time by
      carefully heating each support. More solder on the pad will help alot
      in achieving this. Dont over heat the pad though it will come away..
      Hope that helps, though i think you might of donbe it by now!
      Cheers
      Gonz