(not installed) ???? please help!!!!

  • eriksatie01
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 1, 2005
      what's happening here?
      today I turned on my xl-7 and many of may patterns was corrupted. may
      traks are not correctly assigned to its preset. Insted of the name af
      the right preset,a message says (not installed).
      Moreover, if I re-assign the right preset to the track, and then save
      it again, this assignement go lost when I recall the pattern!!
      I've tried to save the preset to another location, to save the patter
      to another location, to move the track to another track number without
      success.
      plese help me, I fear that all those tries with sysex uploading has
      caused some damage to my machine and to my work!

      davide
    • malik
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 1, 2005
        holy shit. whats whole defragmenting thing the command station can do?
        maybe that will help. maybe you should wait for a better opinion.

        --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "eriksatie01" <waveplayer@t...> wrote:
        > what's happening here?
        > today I turned on my xl-7 and many of may patterns was corrupted. may
        > traks are not correctly assigned to its preset. Insted of the name af
        > the right preset,a message says (not installed).
        > Moreover, if I re-assign the right preset to the track, and then save
        > it again, this assignement go lost when I recall the pattern!!
        > I've tried to save the preset to another location, to save the patter
        > to another location, to move the track to another track number without
        > success.
        > plese help me, I fear that all those tries with sysex uploading has
        > caused some damage to my machine and to my work!
        >
        > davide
      • eriksatie01
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 1, 2005
          alredy tried...
          it tells me that there's no need to do it and it doesn't do nothing...

          please doctor, tell me... is it serious?

          --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "malik" <malik_martin@h...> wrote:
          > holy shit. whats whole defragmenting thing the command station can do?
          > maybe that will help. maybe you should wait for a better opinion.
          >

          > --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "eriksatie01" <waveplayer@t...> wrote:
          > > what's happening here?
          > > today I turned on my xl-7 and many of may patterns was corrupted. may
          > > traks are not correctly assigned to its preset. Insted of the name af
          > > the right preset,a message says (not installed).
          > > Moreover, if I re-assign the right preset to the track, and then save
          > > it again, this assignement go lost when I recall the pattern!!
          > > I've tried to save the preset to another location, to save the patter
          > > to another location, to move the track to another track number without
          > > success.
          > > plese help me, I fear that all those tries with sysex uploading has
          > > caused some damage to my machine and to my work!
          > >
          > > davide
        • gonzinigonz
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 1, 2005
            Its possible that the internal memory has been corupted whilst trying
            to send sysex to it, seeing that you've had so hassle trying to get
            it to work. (command station timming out and stuff)
            Have you backed up your patterns via E-Loader?
            As you dont seem to have a midi in on your PC i guess you havant been
            able to back up your sound banks?
            It would of been good if you could of done this before things went
            bad, as now it looks like you might have to reset the machine.
            I think thats what you might have to do if its playing around with
            you.
            Also you need to get a proper midi interface for your PC as you have
            to back up data. Its a computer and not the most reliable one at
            that..
            Maybe someone else here has a better idea?
            Gonz

            --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "eriksatie01" <waveplayer@t...> wrote:
            > alredy tried...
            > it tells me that there's no need to do it and it doesn't do
            nothing...

            > please doctor, tell me... is it serious?
            >

            > --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "malik" <malik_martin@h...> wrote:
            > > holy shit. whats whole defragmenting thing the command station
            can do?
            > > maybe that will help. maybe you should wait for a better opinion.
            > >

            > > --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "eriksatie01" <waveplayer@t...> wrote:
            > > > what's happening here?
            > > > today I turned on my xl-7 and many of may patterns was
            corrupted. may
            > > > traks are not correctly assigned to its preset. Insted of the
            name af
            > > > the right preset,a message says (not installed).
            > > > Moreover, if I re-assign the right preset to the track, and
            then save
            > > > it again, this assignement go lost when I recall the pattern!!
            > > > I've tried to save the preset to another location, to save the
            patter
            > > > to another location, to move the track to another track number
            without
            > > > success.
            > > > plese help me, I fear that all those tries with sysex uploading
            has
            > > > caused some damage to my machine and to my work!
            > > >
            > > > davide
          • eriksatie01
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 1, 2005
              Sure I have to buy a midi interface to back up things!
              since now I haven't do back up, and I will never try again to send
              sysex without doing back up before!
              now the question is: do you think that a reset would give me back my
              xl-7 as before, or memory has became phisically corrupted?

              thx

            • Chris
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 1, 2005
                check if you have disabled the midi-channel..

                the patter loads up with a program change command, so if you have midi
                disabled for this track (i.e. when using an external synth in another
                song and not changing it back) it might happen that the right pattern is
                not loaded..

                try enabling all midi channels, then press the stop button 3 times to
                reset the pattern (or simply change the pattern and go back to it again)

                Sure I have to buy a midi interface to back up things!
                since now I haven't do back up, and I will never try again to send
                sysex without doing back up before!
                now the question is: do you think that a reset would give me back my
                xl-7 as before, or memory has became phisically corrupted?

                thx

                --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "gonzinigonz" <gonzini@f...> wrote:
                > Its possible that the internal memory has been corupted whilst trying
                > to send sysex to it, seeing that you've had so hassle trying to get
                > it to work. (command station timming out and stuff)
                > Have you backed up your patterns via E-Loader?
                > As you dont seem to have a midi in on your PC i guess you havant been
                > able to back up your sound banks?
                > It would of been good if you could of done this before things went
                > bad, as now it looks like you might have to reset the machine.
                > I think thats what you might have to do if its playing around with
                > you.
                > Also you need to get a proper midi interface for your PC as you have
                > to back up data. Its a computer and not the most reliable one at
                > that..
                > Maybe someone else here has a better idea?
                > Gonz
                >

                > --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "eriksatie01" <waveplayer@t...> wrote:
                > > alredy tried...
                > > it tells me that there's no need to do it and it doesn't do
                > nothing...
                > >
                > > please doctor, tell me... is it serious?
                > >

                > > --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "malik" <malik_martin@h...> wrote:
                > > > holy shit. whats whole defragmenting thing the command station
                > can do?
                > > > maybe that will help. maybe you should wait for a better opinion.

                > corrupted. may
                > name af
                > then save
                > patter
                > without
                > has

                _____

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                the web.

                _____

              • gonzinigonz
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 1, 2005
                  ooops yes your right Chris, bit less hectic than starting again..

                  >Sure I have to buy a midi interface to back up things!
                  cool, you wont regret it

                  >since now I haven't do back up, and I will never try again to send
                  >sysex without doing back up before!
                  always..

                  >now the question is: do you think that a reset would give me back my
                  >xl-7 as before, or memory has became phisically corrupted?
                  Well you will lose your sound banks as i dont think theres a level of
                  reset that will leave them intact.
                  The other level of reset will leave the user pattern data untouched,
                  but if this is were the problem is then you wont have much choice.
                  As long as the unit dosent have other hardware problems a reset
                  should get things back to a clean slate.
                  You will have to reload sound bank data though.. think the presets
                  get copied over to the user banks when you reset.
                  Also if you do the whole memory reset the pattern data will have to
                  be loaded back as well. Seeing that your having problems with this..
                  Id get a midi interface before doing anything and atempt to back up
                  whats there. If the problem reappears after a successful reload then
                  theres yopur problem. you might be able to track it down to 1 rogue
                  patten or sound patch (more likely to be a pattern in that case..)
                  Ive come accross this of problem before with other gear (akai..)
                  Hopefully its a problem like Chris has mentioned
                  be carefull eh
                  Gonz

                • Aaron Eppolito
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 2, 2005
                    If you think your global options are set to strange values, reset them
                    by simply restoring the factory multisetup (#63). Remember that if you
                    don't have sequence data on a track (i.e. a note or controller or
                    something) it won't save the preset for that channel. That's by design
                    (though a choice I regret considering how many people it's confused).

                    -Aaron

                    PS. compacting memory will never fix anything. It's only to defragment
                    memory before going out live so that compaction doesn't run
                    automatically while you're in the middle of your set. If it says it
                    doesn't need it, it really doesn't.

                    __________________________________
                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • moose
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 3, 2005
                      fs : emu xl7 with **as new** rack ears, original manual and power cable.
                      perfect condition. $400 plus shipping from LA. personal / cashier cheques
                      are fine, though paypal will incur a 3% charge to cover their costs.

                      email me off list if you, or someone you know, is interested.

                      }:-)

                      email :
                      moose@...

                      music sites :
                      http://www.pigpendigital.com
                      http://www.alaskahighway.com
                      http://www.mishikawa.com

                    • eriksatie01
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 12, 2005
                        ok guys, NOW I have a "real" midi interface. It is my old creative
                        Live! gold, it has two real midi port and a digital in/out. I haven't
                        bought anything because I'm planning to buy a new firewire interface
                        with audio and midi all in one.
                        I tried it with e-loader and it works properly.

                        I also tried to upload the un-famous banks from Rob Papen and all
                        went perfectly! at first strike! how many time spent on that, and the
                        solution was simple...

                        So I've learnt three important thing:
                        1. the midi out of my evolution keybord sucks
                        2. never send sysex with a sucking midi out
                        3. never send sysex before doing a back-up

                        Now I've solved the problem the upload those rob papen banks, but as
                        you know I have a new one: my sequences are corrupted and my xl-7
                        doesn't work properly. So I will back up everything and then reset
                        the machine. How can I reset it? I haven't found this anywhere in the
                        manual.

                        thx

                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 12, 2005
                          Based on our conversation, I picked up a used evolution (on ebay). I
                          see the problem first-hand with the lack of midi in. Using the
                          SB/Creative midi i/o should solve your original problem.

                          As for the evolution, the usb midi out and the regular midi out seem
                          to work just fine. However, the keyboard "sucks" (IMO, to borrow
                          your phrase). It has the feel of a cheap toy electronic keyboard.
                          (You know--the ones with the speakers built in.) I tried all of the
                          keyboard velocity scalings, and have not found one that works for me
                          with heavy springs of the unit. (The knobs are nice, though; but the
                          button/display seems quirky.)

                          If you like the feel of the evolution and the midi out-->usb works
                          for you, you should still be able to used the SB midi in (as long as
                          the card doesn't have any conflicts).

                          (I hope no one takes my purchase of the evolution as an endorsement.
                          It seemed like a decent price to test it out. It may still work for
                          taking around to schools, doing arts-in-education stuff, and for
                          note entry/composing. As of now, I don't see using it for serious
                          performance. Well, maybe for turning on beats, arpegiators, etc.)

                          --Steve

                          BTW, you can use e-loader's midi monitor to test both the usb and
                          midi outs of the evolution.

                        • eriksatie01
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 12, 2005
                            I will use it only as a midi controller, but I don't like it very
                            much neither. keyboard is really plastic, buttons are not well
                            aligned, and it lacks of usefull function such as saving controllers
                            assignement, or split the keyboard. I think i will change it with
                            something smaller and of better quality, when I'll have the budget
                            for that!

                            --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "steve_the_composer" <smw-mail@p...>
                            wrote:

> [...]
                            > reset
                            > > them
                            > > > by simply restoring the factory multisetup (#63). Remember
                            that
                            > if
                            > > you
                            > > > don't have sequence data on a track (i.e. a note or controller
                            or
                            > > > something) it won't save the preset for that channel. That's
                            by
                            > > design
                            > > > (though a choice I regret considering how many people it's
                            > > confused).
                            > > >
                            > > > -Aaron
                            > > >
                            > > > PS. compacting memory will never fix anything. It's only to
                            > > defragment
                            > > > memory before going out live so that compaction doesn't run
                            > > > automatically while you're in the middle of your set. If it

                          • Mibrilane
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 12, 2005
                              On 10/12/05 3:59 AM, "eriksatie01" <waveplayer@...> wrote:

                              > Now I've solved the problem the upload those rob papen banks, but as
                              > you know I have a new one: my sequences are corrupted and my xl-7
                              > doesn't work properly. So I will back up everything and then reset
                              > the machine. How can I reset it? I haven't found this anywhere in the
                              > manual.

                              RESET is done from the diagnostics menu - hold down both cursor keys (left &
                              right) while turning on the unit - it will go do diagnostics mode. Then
                              scroll to the very end - the reset command is there.

                              Hope that helps. I don't have my XL at the moment to check this but I
                              believe I'm remembering it correctly...

                              --
                              Mibrilane
                            • Aaron Eppolito
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 12, 2005
                                Please, please, please - don't recommend full resets to people having
                                problems! You will ERASE ALL YOUR SEQUENCES! The diagnostics menu
                                isn't documented because you're really not supposed to be in there.

                                For fixing odd problems like the kind you're having, first try
                                reloading the factory multisetup. This will reset everything in the
                                Global menu and MIDI menu to reasonable values, solving things like not
                                changing presets, messed up MIDI settings, etc.

                                1 - Global menu > 1st screen: RESTORE MULTISETUP
                                2 - cursor down and scroll to: 063 Factory Setup
                                3 - press enter

                                If this doesn't solve your problems, the second step would be to reset
                                all except seq in the diagnostics menu. It's the third to last item.
                                Note, however, that this will ERASE ALL EDITED PRESETS! This really
                                should only be used to reset presets, as that's the only additional
                                thing it does beyond restore the factory multisetup.

                                The ONLY time you should ever perform the second to last diagnostic
                                reset is if you want to ERASE EVERYTHING from the box, INCLUDING
                                FACTORY SEQUENCES. Really this should only be done with a newly
                                aquired used unit that has a lot of junk sequences and you don't want
                                any factory sequences.

                                Sorry, not to pick on anybody here (and I know you're trying to be
                                helpful mibrilane) but casually suggesting an unsuspecting user to
                                delete everything from their XL-7 can cause problems. It's like
                                saying, hmm, sounds like you have a computer virus - I don't really
                                remember the specifics, but I think you should type "format c:".

                                -Aaron

                                --- Mibrilane <mibrilane@...> wrote:

                                > On 10/12/05 3:59 AM, "eriksatie01" <waveplayer@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > Now I've solved the problem the upload those rob papen banks, but
                                > as
                                > > you know I have a new one: my sequences are corrupted and my xl-7
                                > > doesn't work properly. So I will back up everything and then reset
                                > > the machine. How can I reset it? I haven't found this anywhere in
                                > the
                                > > manual.
                                >
                                > RESET is done from the diagnostics menu - hold down both cursor keys
                                > (left &
                                > right) while turning on the unit - it will go do diagnostics mode.
                                > Then
                                > scroll to the very end - the reset command is there.
                                >
                                > Hope that helps. I don't have my XL at the moment to check this but I
                                > believe I'm remembering it correctly...
                                >
                                > --
                                > Mibrilane

                                __________________________________
                                Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                                http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
                              • Mibrilane
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 12, 2005
                                  On 10/12/05 8:49 PM, "Aaron Eppolito" <synthesis77@...> wrote:

                                  > Sorry, not to pick on anybody here (and I know you're trying to be
                                  > helpful mibrilane) but casually suggesting an unsuspecting user to
                                  > delete everything from their XL-7 can cause problems. It's like
                                  > saying, hmm, sounds like you have a computer virus - I don't really
                                  > remember the specifics, but I think you should type "format c:".

                                  I get that Aaron, but he asked how to do the RESET. He's backing up his data
                                  before he does it, so I assumed he knows what it does. It's not like he said
                                  he's having weird glitches and asked a generic "what should I do?" He
                                  specifically asked how to do the RESET after backing up his data, and I
                                  answered that question.

                                  The more appropriate computer analogy would be a computer user saying
                                  they've backed up their computer and asking "how do I reformat my hard drive
                                  for a fresh install of Windows?"

                                  It's good that there are other troubleshooting steps to try, though - thanks
                                  for sharing them. :D
                                  --
                                  Mibrilane
                                • eriksatie01
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 13, 2005
                                    No probs here guys :)
                                    I've backed up everything, I've done the full reset and uploaded
                                    everything back. all went fine and it seems that the problem has been
                                    solved. with two minor disadvantages:

                                    1. sometimes I still get this "not installed" massages, but less than
                                    before. this is strange because usually you solve or you don't solve
                                    something. this is a strange half way... but is better than before

                                    2. I've lost all the factory patterns. didn't consider it. but I hope
                                    I will find them easy, right?

                                    before resetting, I've tried to restore factory multisetup but with
                                    no success. I really don't understand what's happened to my
                                    sequences, I think something about program change messages. Is there
                                    something I have to inspect to check this?

                                    --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, Mibrilane <mibrilane@c...> wrote:

                                    > On 10/12/05 8:49 PM, "Aaron Eppolito" <synthesis77@y...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Sorry, not to pick on anybody here (and I know you're trying to be
                                    > > helpful mibrilane) but casually suggesting an unsuspecting user to
                                    > > delete everything from their XL-7 can cause problems. It's like
                                    > > saying, hmm, sounds like you have a computer virus - I don't
                                    really
                                    > > remember the specifics, but I think you should type "format c:".
                                    >
                                    > I get that Aaron, but he asked how to do the RESET. He's backing up
                                    his data
                                    > before he does it, so I assumed he knows what it does. It's not
                                    like he said
                                    > he's having weird glitches and asked a generic "what should I do?"
                                    He
                                    > specifically asked how to do the RESET after backing up his data,
                                    and I
                                    > answered that question.
                                    >
                                    > The more appropriate computer analogy would be a computer user
                                    saying
                                    > they've backed up their computer and asking "how do I reformat my
                                    hard drive
                                    > for a fresh install of Windows?"
                                    >
                                    > It's good that there are other troubleshooting steps to try,
                                    though - thanks
                                    > for sharing them. :D
                                    > --
                                    > Mibrilane

                                  • gonzinigonz
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 13, 2005
                                      ---> No probs here guys :)
                                      Cool!

                                      > I've backed up everything, I've done the full reset and uploaded
                                      > everything back. all went fine and it seems that the problem has
                                      >been solved. with two minor disadvantages:

                                      > 1. sometimes I still get this "not installed" massages, but less
                                      >than before. this is strange because usually you solve or you don't
                                      >solve> something. this is a strange half way... but is better than
                                      >before

                                      sounds like theres still something amiss. What roms do you have
                                      installed? Have you cleaned the connections on the offending rom?
                                      Be careful if you try this, static dischrge is a killer for sensitive
                                      electronics. Always make sure you have earthed yourself so that you
                                      are not charged before handling it. (or the insides of your command
                                      station..)

                                      > 2. I've lost all the factory patterns. didn't consider it. but I
                                      hope I will find them easy, right?

                                      Think there in the files section. If not then im sure we could send
                                      you the file to download into you unit. Ive got CD that came with the
                                      protean rom thats got most stuff avaible for these units on it from
                                      emu.

                                      > before resetting, I've tried to restore factory multisetup but with
                                      > no success. I really don't understand what's happened to my
                                      > sequences, I think something about program change messages. Is
                                      >there something I have to inspect to check this?

                                      Maybe its related to you patterns losing the patches in that there
                                      could be a hardware problem and its corupting the memory somehow.
                                      I would of tryed starting a fresh with non of your original data
                                      loaded to see how stable the unit was.
                                      Maybe just load the factory sound banks back in.
                                      Then if things seem ok start loading back in parts of your data to
                                      see if problems started to appear.
                                      You have to remember that if you original data is corupted then all
                                      you would of done by loading it back in is loaded the problem back in
                                      as well! (ive been here with other units...)
                                      Like Aaron says its not always the best solution to totally reset the
                                      unit but its the only real way of getting back to a clean slate so
                                      you know where you are with things.
                                      But saying that ive had to FORMAT:C a few times in the past. I never
                                      regretted doing that after the event, as it was more productive than
                                      spending hours banging my head against the wall trying to sort
                                      windows out.... aaarrrgghhhhhhhhhhhhh

                                      just a few ideas anyway..
                                      Gonz

                                      > --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, Mibrilane <mibrilane@c...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > On 10/12/05 8:49 PM, "Aaron Eppolito" <synthesis77@y...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > > Sorry, not to pick on anybody here (and I know you're trying to
                                      be
                                      > > > helpful mibrilane) but casually suggesting an unsuspecting user
                                      > > > delete everything from their XL-7 can cause problems. It's like
                                      > > > saying, hmm, sounds like you have a computer virus - I don't
                                      > really
                                      > > > remember the specifics, but I think you should type "format c:".
                                      > >
                                      > > I get that Aaron, but he asked how to do the RESET. He's backing
                                      up
                                      > his data
                                      > > before he does it, so I assumed he knows what it does. It's not
                                      > like he said
                                      > > he's having weird glitches and asked a generic "what should I
                                      do?"
                                      > He
                                      > > specifically asked how to do the RESET after backing up his data,
                                      > and I
                                      > > answered that question.
                                      > >
                                      > > The more appropriate computer analogy would be a computer user
                                      > saying
                                      > > they've backed up their computer and asking "how do I reformat my
                                      > hard drive
                                      > > for a fresh install of Windows?"
                                      > >
                                      > > It's good that there are other troubleshooting steps to try,
                                      > though - thanks
                                      > > for sharing them. :D
                                      > > --
                                      > > Mibrilane

                                    • eriksatie01
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 13, 2005
                                        --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "gonzinigonz" <gonzini@f...> wrote:
                                        > > 1. sometimes I still get this "not installed" massages, but less
                                        > >than before. this is strange because usually you solve or you don't
                                        > >solve> something. this is a strange half way... but is better than
                                        > >before
                                        >
                                        > sounds like theres still something amiss. What roms do you have
                                        > installed? Have you cleaned the connections on the offending rom?
                                        > Be careful if you try this, static dischrge is a killer for sensitive
                                        > electronics. Always make sure you have earthed yourself so that you
                                        > are not charged before handling it. (or the insides of your command
                                        > station..)

                                        the problem happens only with user presets, not with sounds from the
                                        roms. But user presets seems to be ok: if I select them from a new
                                        pattern and save the pattern, then the presets are recalled in the
                                        right way. the problem happens always with the same patterns and in the
                                        same tracks: everytime I load them, I have this (not installed) instead
                                        of the right preset. if I change preset with the right one and then
                                        save the pattern, the next time this assignement is lost and I get (not
                                        installed) again

                                        that's why I think there is something corrupted in the pattern data.

                                        could someone explain me how presets are linked to patterns?
                                        I thought it was done with program change, but in the midi controller
                                        editor I cannot see any program change at all. Maybe is it simply hide
                                        in the editor? I can I edit this?

                                        thx
                                      • gonzinigonz
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Oct 13, 2005
                                          Hi
                                          Does sound like something with your pattern data then..
                                          I forgot where the original problem stemmed from.. (dont think you
                                          need to pull your machine appart and start cleaning connections..)

                                          These messages are present in all command station generated patterns
                                          before the first bar starts (if i recall correctly..)
                                          (In this order in the cubase list editor)

                                          Main Volume (controller No. 7)
                                          Pan (controller No. 10)
                                          Control 79 (controller No. 79) is hard coded to MIX Ouput parameter
                                          Genpurp5 (controller No. 80) is hard coded to ARP status parameter
                                          BankselMSB (Bank select MSB, controller No. 0)
                                          BankselLSB (Bank select LSB, controller No. 32)
                                          Progchange (its own channel message, not part of the 127 controller
                                          messages..)

                                          As you can see there is the program change message and the important
                                          bank selection mesaages as well (to select the correct rom)
                                          I think this info is only transmitted when the pattern is called up
                                          so it doesnt keep resetting things.. (correct me if im wrong..)
                                          Check to see that these are present in your patterns that are playing
                                          up.
                                          And yes it dosent show up in the EVENT editor in pattern edit.
                                          It seems that they are a part of the internal patterns (before the
                                          start of the first bar) and are hidden
                                          from you unless you add some new controller data / program change,
                                          then they should appear in the event listings on the command station.
                                          If you export them as midi files they show up in an editor
                                          I think you will have to open up the mid files on your PC with cubase
                                          or other sequencer.

                                          This could also be a way of salvaging the note data from the
                                          offending patterns as you could edit / delete the progam change /
                                          bank select data and maybe transfering them back and resaving them on
                                          the command station with the correct patches (or even saving it in
                                          cubase etc)
                                          Not sure where the 'not installed' message originates from as ive not
                                          see that one. Maybe Aaron can shed some light on that one?
                                          You can always send me 1 of the patterns (mid file)
                                          gonzini@... and l'll dissect and try to see whats going on..
                                          Also i have the orignal XL7 (and others..) pattern banks here if you
                                          wanted them
                                          Hope that helps

                                          gonz

                                          > the problem happens only with user presets, not with sounds from
                                          the
                                          > roms. But user presets seems to be ok: if I select them from a new
                                          > pattern and save the pattern, then the presets are recalled in the
                                          > right way. the problem happens always with the same patterns and in
                                          the
                                          > same tracks: everytime I load them, I have this (not installed)
                                          instead
                                          > of the right preset. if I change preset with the right one and then
                                          > save the pattern, the next time this assignement is lost and I get
                                          (not
                                          > installed) again
                                          >
                                          > that's why I think there is something corrupted in the pattern data.
                                          >
                                          > could someone explain me how presets are linked to patterns?
                                          > I thought it was done with program change, but in the midi
                                          controller
                                          > editor I cannot see any program change at all. Maybe is it simply
                                          hide
                                          > in the editor? I can I edit this?
                                          >
                                          > thx

                                        • eriksatie01
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Oct 14, 2005
                                            --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "gonzinigonz" <gonzini@f...> wrote:

                                            > These messages are present in all command station generated patterns
                                            > before the first bar starts (if i recall correctly..)
                                            > (In this order in the cubase list editor)
                                            >

                                            > Main Volume (controller No. 7)
                                            > Pan (controller No. 10)
                                            > Control 79 (controller No. 79) is hard coded to MIX Ouput parameter
                                            > Genpurp5 (controller No. 80) is hard coded to ARP status parameter
                                            > BankselMSB (Bank select MSB, controller No. 0)
                                            > BankselLSB (Bank select LSB, controller No. 32)
                                            > Progchange (its own channel message, not part of the 127 controller
                                            > messages..)

                                            THIS is interesting!
                                            now I know what I have to check. thx very much, exactly what I needed!
                                          • Aaron Eppolito
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Oct 14, 2005
                                              If you want to see the events in the event viewer, temporarily set the
                                              track to external. When set to internal, it hides the events that it
                                              puts in at tick 0 so that the casual user doesn't delete events that
                                              the sequencer puts in there.

                                              If you want to fix the program changes, however, you don't have to use
                                              the event editor at all. Just set up the presets with the main screen
                                              and resave the pattern.

                                              -Aaron

                                              __________________________________
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Oct 14, 2005
                                                Cheers Aaron thats alot easier. Just kepted forgetting to set the
                                                track back to internal.. And hitting enter each time..

                                                Ive seen the 'not installed' message myself now
                                                Its when it trys to call up a preset / rom thats not there (suprise
                                                eh?!)
                                                So theres the problem then. Not quite sure why when it was re-saved
                                                with the correct presets it didnt work, but if the've been corupted
                                                then maybe thats the problem with that.

                                                For Erick-
                                                so for EVENT edit window (with track assigned to EXT..)

                                                C1 Prog:1 m:0 I:2

                                                << means >>

                                                Ch# 1 preset 001 m:user preset area (MSB) I:bank 2 (LSB)

                                                m: = ROM so val:-

                                                0 = user prest area
                                                14 = XL7
                                                19 = Protean Drum
                                                65 = Techno
                                                67 = Beat Garden

                                                This is as my machine you might have differant roms installed.
                                                Check that these values are present (or the ones that you have) or
                                                you will get the 'not installed' message.

                                                So (mode/view) PRESET --- AUITION will give you the ROM No. (m: MSB)
                                                and Bank No. (I: LSB)

                                                Hope that helps, ive needed to go through it myself..
                                                Gonz

                                                --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Eppolito <synthesis77@y...> wrote:

                                                > If you want to see the events in the event viewer, temporarily set
                                                the
                                                > track to external. When set to internal, it hides the events that
                                                it
                                                > puts in at tick 0 so that the casual user doesn't delete events that
                                                > the sequencer puts in there.
                                                >
                                                > If you want to fix the program changes, however, you don't have to
                                                use
                                                > the event editor at all. Just set up the presets with the main
                                                screen
                                                > and resave the pattern.
                                                >
                                                > -Aaron
                                                >
                                                > --- eriksatie01 <waveplayer@t...> wrote:
                                                >
                                                > > --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "gonzinigonz" <gonzini@f...> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > > These messages are present in all command station generated
                                                > > patterns
                                                > > > before the first bar starts (if i recall correctly..)
                                                > > > (In this order in the cubase list editor)
                                                > > >

                                                > > > Main Volume (controller No. 7)
                                                > > > Pan (controller No. 10)
                                                > > > Control 79 (controller No. 79) is hard coded to MIX Ouput
                                                parameter
                                                > > > Genpurp5 (controller No. 80) is hard coded to ARP status
                                                parameter
                                                > > > BankselMSB (Bank select MSB, controller No. 0)
                                                > > > BankselLSB (Bank select LSB, controller No. 32)
                                                > > > Progchange (its own channel message, not part of the 127
                                                controller
                                                > > > messages..)
                                                > >
                                                > > THIS is interesting!
                                                > > now I know what I have to check. thx very much, exactly what I
                                                > > needed!
                                              • dwoodaman
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Oct 26, 2005
                                                  True enough, be careful! My XL freaked out in a big way, but the
                                                  simple procedure Aaron details worked perfectly! I am so glad the
                                                  group is still here!