Re: XL7 Sequencer for playing external MIDI

  • robotchas
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 1, 2002
      I thought I already posted this the other day...

      --- In xl7@y..., Aaron Eppolito <aarone+xl7@e...> wrote:
      > Prove me wrong, but I think you'll find few other
      > all-in-one boxes that perform as well.

      Unfortunately every hardware sequencer available has at least one and sometimes more than one serious problem - no one has gotten it exactly right, and so far the XL-7 is not there yet either. The fact that E-mu is listening to constructive feedback means there's a good chance it will still get there.

      > You have full record on the fly capabilities
      > with almost nothing that makes you stop the sequencer.

      Being able to manually control which part of the pattern is being edited in grid mode would go a long way toward eliminating that "almost," of course.

      > You have complete
      > interactivity with the arrangement of patterns without having to fit them
      > into a "style" or flatten them down into a song.

      True, and that's a good thing, but there's also no way to do one-button pattern switching a la Roland's Pattern Call (or drop MIDI phrases in at will a la Roland's RPS). Right now you're limited to dialing, which is less than ideal live.

      > We still are
      > adding features to XL-7 and are trying to fix as many problems as we can
      > find. There's a release scheduled for late February that addresses many of
      > the issues that you folks have brought up.

      I'm very glad to hear this.

      > We've been steadily adding
      > features to make the more advanced users happy. We know that this is what
      > you want and we'll probably give it to you.

      As well as this. As frustrating as it may be to hear something you worked hard on criticized, it's reassuring to know that the criticism is being listened to. The XL-7 could still use improved mute/solo capabilities (like exclusion groups and submutes), improved timing control (realtime swing/groove quantize, 0.1 BPM) and the ability to send sysex messages to control external synths, but the first two complaints (pattern call and grid edit control) are the biggest in my opinion, especially since almost every competing product has them. These aren't advanced or esoteric features, they're fairly common and crucial for live use. While the XL-7 has a lot going for it, it will be the absolute king of its market if they're added.

      I don't want to break down and buy an old MC-505, and the vaunted MPC-4000 doesn't even have grid edit. I'll be looking forward to February.
    • erik_magrini@Baxter.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 1, 2002

        Nah, the internal resolution won't affect you at all, and there's no rounding errors.  All the possible resolutions you'd see in any sequecner easily divide into each other, with no errors.  It's not audio manipulations after all ;)

        Basically your sequencer still knows it's a quarter note, or half note (whatever), regardless of the editing resolution.  They don't affect each other at all.  If you're transferring files, the sequencer you import into will convert it to the correct resolution, no problems there.  If it's a higher resolution, you'll just get more ticks in between your notes, lower resolution means less ticks obviously.

        Yes, if you're editing the same passage in two different sequencers (don't know why you'd want to), then it could get confusing as the note locations (number of ticks) may be different.  Just edit on one and then use E-Loader for the transfer.

        rEalm

        There will be rounding errors when bouncing tracks between sequencers.  And
        then there is the brain strain that occurs when scrolling though the same
        data in two different boxes.  ;^)

      • qwanta
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 1, 2002
          --- In xl7@y..., "Thorsten Marx" <t.marx@h...> wrote:
          > Hi there,
          >
          > I'm thinking about buying an XL7 because I like the idea of
          creating and arranging music without a computer .My question is, how
          good is the sequencer for playing an external MIDI device, in my case
          I would trigger an Ensoniq ASR-X sampler. Is the timing OK? Are the
          functions handy?

          > Thanks for any reply!
          >
          > Thorsten
          >

          > "ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US"

          Thorsten. DO NOT buy the XL7 for its sequencer. Buy it for the
          proteus engine. Buy it because it looks kewl and your friends will
          be jealous. Buy it because chicks dig it. But if you buy it
          thinking it's going to be a standalone midi controller sufficient to
          replace your PC or whatever you are using now then you are in for a
          world of hurt. The sequencer is buggy and strange. Just read the
          threads. Maybe someday it will be able to go head to head with other
          alternatives but that doesn't appear to be anytime soon.

          Also do not buy it if you think you will be able to get expansion
          roms when you want them. My order for techno construction at
          Musician's Friend is 3 weeks old and still *back ordered*. E-mu is
          stingy with its roms for some reason.

          Qwanta
        • Panzare
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 3, 2002
            As an alternative to find ROM upgrades, find a local music retail store that
            honors sale prices from other stores and nowadays the internet as well.
            You should be able to but the ROM upgrades quicker that way. Thats what
            I did and got the Techno Synth ROM card at the same price Musician's Friend
            had it without the wait. Chances are you will have to wait sometimes if you
            buy in online.

            jp

            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 4, 2002
              I would love to buy the roms from a local store. I hate mail order.
              But neither the local Mars no Guitar Center have them in stock. The
              guy at GC said they had no plans to restock (he seemed to think Emu
              was discontinuing the XL7 product line) and the Mars guy said it
              would take "a few weeks". Translated: "I'm not going to touch that
              one". So I go to Musician's Friend and it says the roms are in
              stock. Kewl. I place order then on the confirmation page it says 2-
              4 week *backordered*. So 3 weeks later I call MF cust svc and ask
              for a status and they say it's still backordered. F! What's the
              deal? When three of the largest retailers can't even get their hands
              on them there's something fishy going on.

              Would anyone from Emu sales care to comment? Other than "buy from
              Emu direct". I'm not paying MSRP heh.

              --- In xl7@y..., "Panzare" <panzare@m...> wrote:
              > As an alternative to find ROM upgrades, find a local music retail
              store that
              > honors sale prices from other stores and nowadays the internet as
              well.
              > You should be able to but the ROM upgrades quicker that way. Thats
              what
              > I did and got the Techno Synth ROM card at the same price
              Musician's Friend
              > had it without the wait. Chances are you will have to wait
              sometimes if you
              > buy in online.
            • Sean Wilhelmsen
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 4, 2002
                You can buy ROMs direct from E-MU (US only) below MSRP. We sell them at
                the same price you would get them from your local dealer. We should have
                them all in stock. Trying call us direct for exact pricing, 831
                438-1921.
                Why some stores support the ROMS and others don't is a worrisome issue
                for else as well. We didn't make these ROMS to not be accessible to you
                (the user). It's an ongoing battle to have our dealers fully stock our
                accessories. Generally, the story you get from the salesman on the floor
                is incorrect. It's easy to blame the manufacture, when in reality, its
                their fault for not placing a replenishing order in a timely fashion.

                sean at e-mu / ensoniq

                qwanta wrote:

                > I would love to buy the roms from a local store. I hate mail order.
                > But neither the local Mars no Guitar Center have them in stock. The
                > guy at GC said they had no plans to restock (he seemed to think Emu
                > was discontinuing the XL7 product line) and the Mars guy said it
                > would take "a few weeks". Translated: "I'm not going to touch that
                > one". So I go to Musician's Friend and it says the roms are in
                > stock. Kewl. I place order then on the confirmation page it says 2-
                > 4 week *backordered*. So 3 weeks later I call MF cust svc and ask
                > for a status and they say it's still backordered. F! What's the
                > deal? When three of the largest retailers can't even get their hands
                > on them there's something fishy going on.
                >
                > Would anyone from Emu sales care to comment? Other than "buy from
                > Emu direct". I'm not paying MSRP heh.

                > --- In xl7@y..., "Panzare" <panzare@m...> wrote:
                > > As an alternative to find ROM upgrades, find a local music retail
                > store that
                > > honors sale prices from other stores and nowadays the internet as
                > well.
                > > You should be able to but the ROM upgrades quicker that way. Thats
                > what
                > > I did and got the Techno Synth ROM card at the same price
                > Musician's Friend
                > > had it without the wait. Chances are you will have to wait
                > sometimes if you
                > > buy in online.
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • emufreak1
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 4, 2002
                  Q,

                  Since Guitar Center and Mars Music are both "national" chain stores,
                  was the clerk able to check inventory at another location? Exp: I
                  stopped at my local GC in Maryland last month which did not have the
                  new 2500 or the Orbit 3 in stock at the time, I told him that I would
                  be in Chicago the next week and he checked their inventory and saw
                  that they had a few of each module in stock so I assume that they can
                  do it with a ROM as well.

                  Good Luck

                  M2

                  --- In xl7@y..., "qwanta" <qwanta@b...> wrote:
                  > I would love to buy the roms from a local store. I hate mail
                  order.
                  > But neither the local Mars no Guitar Center have them in stock.
                  The
                  > guy at GC said they had no plans to restock (he seemed to think Emu
                  > was discontinuing the XL7 product line) and the Mars guy said it
                  > would take "a few weeks". Translated: "I'm not going to touch that
                  > one". So I go to Musician's Friend and it says the roms are in
                  > stock. Kewl. I place order then on the confirmation page it says
                  2-
                  > 4 week *backordered*. So 3 weeks later I call MF cust svc and ask
                  > for a status and they say it's still backordered. F! What's the
                  > deal? When three of the largest retailers can't even get their
                  hands
                  > on them there's something fishy going on.
                  >
                  > Would anyone from Emu sales care to comment? Other than "buy from
                  > Emu direct". I'm not paying MSRP heh.

                  > --- In xl7@y..., "Panzare" <panzare@m...> wrote:
                  > > As an alternative to find ROM upgrades, find a local music retail
                  > store that
                  > > honors sale prices from other stores and nowadays the internet as
                  > well.
                  > > You should be able to but the ROM upgrades quicker that way.
                  Thats
                  > what
                  > > I did and got the Techno Synth ROM card at the same price
                  > Musician's Friend
                  > > had it without the wait. Chances are you will have to wait
                  > sometimes if you
                  > > buy in online.
                • qwanta
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 4, 2002
                    Sean, thank you for replying. But you need to get up to speed with
                    how Emu is currently marketing its products to end users. I did call
                    that number you provided for exact pricing and I was told 1) I could
                    only be quoted the suggested retail price of $349 since I wasn't a
                    dealer, and 2) "we cannot compete with our dealers on pricing". That
                    is an exact quote from the person on the phone. Your website by the
                    way quotes $349 as well.

                    The bottom line is you do not sell for the same price as other
                    dealers. Mars, up the street, advertises $50 less
                    (http://www.marsmusic.com/store/product_template.jhtml?
                    catid=2077&prodid=10274&primarySkuId=3577&deptid=8&navAction=jump)

                    and Musician's Friend is $70 less
                    (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=02020411582313021307408690985
                    9/search/g=home?q=Emu+tech+synth).

                    If you did match those prices I would buy from YOU because I want
                    YOUR product now! If there is a secret code I should tell the lady
                    on the phone to get the better price please tell. If not I will
                    certainly wait a few weeks for some kind of shipment to save a couple
                    hundred bucks (I'm purchasing 3).

                    Cheers,

                    Qwanta

                  • zarkstraz
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 4, 2002
                      Qwanta-

                      try the sales folks at E-mu again. When I called them in
                      September or October they were running a major sale. I can't
                      remember the exact prices but I do remember that if you were
                      buying two or more ROMs their price was well below street price.
                      I ended up buying World Expedition locally, because I wanted it
                      NOW. But I did pay more than necessary.

                      Good Luck

                      -Zark
                    • Sean Wilhelmsen
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 4, 2002
                        qwanta wrote:

                        > Sean, thank you for replying. But you need to get up to speed with
                        > how Emu is currently marketing its products to end users. I did call
                        > that number you provided for exact pricing and I was told 1) I could
                        > only be quoted the suggested retail price of $349 since I wasn't a
                        > dealer, and 2) "we cannot compete with our dealers on pricing". That
                        > is an exact quote from the person on the phone. Your website by the
                        > way quotes $349 as well.
                        >
                        > The bottom line is you do not sell for the same price as other
                        > dealers. Mars, up the street, advertises $50 less
                        > (http://www.marsmusic.com/store/product_template.jhtml?
                        > catid=2077&prodid=10274&primarySkuId=3577&deptid=8&navAction=jump)
                        >
                        > and Musician's Friend is $70 less
                        > (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=02020411582313021307408690985
                        > 9/search/g=home?q=Emu+tech+synth).
                        >
                        > If you did match those prices I would buy from YOU because I want
                        > YOUR product now! If there is a secret code I should tell the lady
                        > on the phone to get the better price please tell. If not I will
                        > certainly wait a few weeks for some kind of shipment to save a couple
                        > hundred bucks (I'm purchasing 3).
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        >
                        > Qwanta

                        By the end of this week, our web site will be changed to reflect the
                        correct pricing for our ROMS (Miscommunication is blamed for this, our
                        apologies). The person you spoke to hear, normally deals with dealers
                        only, so she was not aware that we do sale ROMS at discount to end
                        users. ALl other products, other than ones you can find on our Bargain
                        Page are sold through our dealers.

                        Please try our direct sales group again, or better yet, e-mail me your
                        phone number privately and I will give you a call and take your order personally.

                        Sean Wilhelmsen
                        Director of Marketing
                        E-MU / ENSONIQ

                        aka sean at e-mu / ensoniq
                      • robotchas
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 5, 2002
                          --- In xl7@y..., Sean Wilhelmsen <seanw@e...> wrote:
                          > or better yet, e-mail me your
                          > phone number privately and I will give you a call and take your order personally.

                          Now *that's* cool.
                        • Panzare
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 11, 2002
                            E-MU does have a point. I haven't been able to find any of these ROMs for much less than the price
                            E-MU sales them for directly, and I missed that one myself. So that might be the best route to take,
                            at least you can give them a whole bunch of you know what if you do that and they tell you they're on
                            backorder. That would be terrible for business, so you'd probably get much better satisfaction.

                            qwanta wrote:

                            > I would love to buy the roms from a local store.  I hate mail order.
                            > But neither the local Mars no Guitar Center have them in stock.  The
                            > guy at GC said they had no plans to restock (he seemed to think Emu
                            > was discontinuing the XL7 product line) and the Mars guy said it
                            > would take "a few weeks".  Translated: "I'm not going to touch that
                            > one".  So I go to Musician's Friend and it says the roms are in
                            > stock.  Kewl.  I place order then on the confirmation page it says 2-
                            > 4 week *backordered*.  So 3 weeks later I call MF cust svc and ask
                            > for a status and they say it's still backordered.  F!  What's the
                            > deal?  When three of the largest retailers can't even get their hands
                            > on them there's something fishy going on.
                            >
                            > Would anyone from Emu sales care to comment?  Other than "buy from
                            > Emu direct".  I'm not paying MSRP heh.

                            > --- In xl7@y..., "Panzare" <panzare@m...> wrote:
                            > > As an alternative to find ROM upgrades, find a local music retail
                            > store that
                            > > honors sale prices from other stores and nowadays the internet as
                            > well.
                            > > You should be able to but the ROM upgrades quicker that way. Thats
                            > what
                            > > I did and got the Techno Synth ROM card at the same price
                            > Musician's Friend
                            > > had it without the wait. Chances are you will have to wait
                            > sometimes if you
                            > > buy in online.
                            >
                            >                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          • Panzare
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 11, 2002
                              Yes they can and do here in the Boston metro area, so thats another suggestion. I'd also call
                              different stores just in case to make sure one sales person doesn't give you bum dope just
                              because they don't feel like doing their job.

                              jp
                              Since Guitar Center and Mars Music are both "national" chain stores,
                              was the clerk able to check inventory at another location?  Exp: I
                              stopped at my local GC in Maryland last month which did not have the
                              new 2500 or the Orbit 3 in stock at the time, I told him that I would
                              be in Chicago the next week and he checked their inventory and saw
                              that they had a few of each module in stock so I assume that they can
                              do it with a ROM as well.

                              Good Luck

                              M2

                              --- In xl7@y..., "qwanta" <qwanta@b...> wrote:
                              > I would love to buy the roms from a local store.  I hate mail
                              order.
                              > But neither the local Mars no Guitar Center have them in stock.
                              The
                              > guy at GC said they had no plans to restock (he seemed to think Emu
                              > was discontinuing the XL7 product line) and the Mars guy said it
                              > would take "a few weeks".  Translated: "I'm not going to touch that
                              > one".  So I go to Musician's Friend and it says the roms are in
                              > stock.  Kewl.  I place order then on the confirmation page it says
                              2-
                              > 4 week *backordered*.  So 3 weeks later I call MF cust svc and ask
                              > for a status and they say it's still backordered.  F!  What's the
                              > deal?  When three of the largest retailers can't even get their
                              hands
                              > on them there's something fishy going on.
                              >
                              > Would anyone from Emu sales care to comment?  Other than "buy from
                              > Emu direct".  I'm not paying MSRP heh.

                              > --- In xl7@y..., "Panzare" <panzare@m...> wrote:
                              > > As an alternative to find ROM upgrades, find a local music retail
                              > store that
                              > > honors sale prices from other stores and nowadays the internet as
                              > well.
                              > > You should be able to but the ROM upgrades quicker that way.
                              Thats
                              > what
                              > > I did and got the Techno Synth ROM card at the same price
                              > Musician's Friend
                              > > had it without the wait. Chances are you will have to wait
                              > sometimes if you
                              > > buy in online.

                            • Panzare
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 11, 2002
                                I don't know where the sales person from Emu got their info from, but the link below pretty
                                much speaks for itself. I believe Emu would have to honor these prices....no doing so would
                                fall under the category of...."False Advertising".

                                jp