Re: Sequencing on the XX-7? How to do the best way??? ( And groovesharing)

  • elemental
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2004
      QUOTE:
      I still haven't figured out
      > how to play loops of different lengths simultaenously on the e-mu
      > sequencer.

      Let me know if you do!!
      That, and not being able to switch between pattern variations
      quickly are the downsides of the XX-7 sequencers. I dont want to
      have just one pattern per track, and I dont wanna have to wait till
      the end of the loop for it to change ... I want to do quick pattern
      switching for fills and variations.

      --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "steve_the_composer" <smw-mail@p...>
      wrote:
      > Anyone remember Dr. T's KCS [Keyboard Controlled Sequencer] for
      the
      > Commodore 64 (circa 1985)? Although limited by the technology of
      the
      > time, you could start and stop tracks [loops/patterns] at will,
      have
      > overlapping tracks [loops/patterns] with different lengths,
      transpose
      > tracks on the fly, record and send sysex, etc.
      >
      > Of course, you had to use your own ear-hand coordination to start
      > loops properly--no BPM sync.
      >
      > Now that I am taking the time to develop a realtime performance
      > modality based on the e-mu, I am glad my first sequencer was the
      KCS,
      > not a software tape recorder. Of oourse, I still haven't figured
      out
      > how to play loops of different lengths simultaenously on the e-mu
      > sequencer.
      >
      > --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, erik_magrini@B... wrote:
      > > That's a really good point, and sums up how I use mine exactly.
      > > SX is nothing more than a glorified tape deck for me, but the
      > > PX-7, that thing you can actually play....
      > >
      > > rEalm
      > >
      > > computer sequencers are really just glorified tape recorders, in
      > > my opinion, as opposed to a well-designed hardware sequencer,
      which
      > > is more like a musical instrument.
    • Matt Picone
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2004
        > QUOTE:
        > I still haven't figured out
        > > how to play loops of different lengths simultaenously on the e-mu
        > > sequencer.
        >

        > Let me know if you do!!

        Use the arp. It's the only way.

        -m@
      • mike
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2004
          You can change patterns at any time by pressing the play and stop
          button at the same time. Or hold down the play button and then just
          tap the stop button when you want the pattern to change.

        • erik_magrini@Baxter.com
          Message 4 of 10 , May 3, 2004
            If you have a pattern "queued up" you can just press PLAY + STOP to jump
            immediately to the next pattern.

            rEalm

            ... and I dont wanna have to wait till the end of the loop for it to change

            The information transmitted is intended only for the person(s)or entity
            to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or legally
            privileged material. Delivery of this message to any person other than
            the intended recipient(s) is not intended in any way to waive privilege
            or confidentiality. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other
            use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
            receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the
            material from any computer.

            For Translation:

            http://www.baxter.com/email_disclaimer

          • erik_magrini@Baxter.com
            Message 5 of 10 , May 3, 2004
              That's how I made my own RPS's in the XX-7's. I have the triggers firing
              off percussion parts that use odd time signatures (ala the arps) for
              interesting variations.

              rEalm

              Hmmmmm. 32 arp sequencers--different lengths; some synced, some not;
              triggered by some or all of the 16 buttons (as notes) . . . .

              Hmmmm. lotsa potential there--if I ever get back into making music!

              --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Picone" <matman@m...> wrote:
              > > QUOTE:
              > > I still haven't figured out
              > > > how to play loops of different lengths simultaneously on the
              > > > e-mu sequencer.
              > >

              > > Let me know if you do!!
              >
              > Use the arp. It's the only way.
              >
              > -m@

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Message 6 of 10 , May 3, 2004
                Excellent!!!

                When I get back into designing my performance modality, this will be
                on my list to explore. Any tips, a small tutorial, setup/design
                considerations, warnings, etc. would be appreciated.

                The gears are churning--backing tracks with midi sax noodling
                + foot pedal sonic manipulations!

                Gotta find .wrk file for the dance tune in 7 and do some
                deconstruction/reconstruction with arped poly rhythms!!!!

              • erik_magrini@Baxter.com
                Message 7 of 10 , May 3, 2004
                  It's been covered many times in the archives, I did a few full-length step
                  by steps on it. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll do some
                  digging when i get the time.

                  rEalm