Track Destination and MIDI on off. Controlling external gear.

  • drewaight
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 3, 2004
      Hey Aaron....how come when track rechannelize is off and I set a
      track destination to "ext" I also have to turn off the MIDI channel
      or else the internal patch still plays. Shouldn't the Track
      destination set to external preclude having the internal sounds
      played? I kind of would like to leave the MIDI channel on, that way I
      can play external tracks using the XX-7 pads.
    • Aaron Eppolito
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 3, 2004
        Um, because you turned rechannelize off?

        Seriously though, that's exactly what rechannelize is for.

        -Aaron

        --- drewaight <drewaight@...> wrote:
        > Hey Aaron....how come when track rechannelize is off and I set a
        > track destination to "ext" I also have to turn off the MIDI channel
        > or else the internal patch still plays.

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • drewaight
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 4, 2004
          It is entirely possible that i am a retard.......but i dont
          understand your answer.

          The tracks and the channels are separate no? which is why the unit
          kicks so much ass. However if the sequence of events is MIDI -->
          rechannelize --> MIDI channel --> track --> output. How is it
          possible that a MIDI channel assigned to only one track that
          has "ext" as its destination can get to the internal sounds.
          Rechannelize hijacks whatever the input is and forces it to be the
          channel that is currently selected so how does turning this off make
          it so that incoming MIDI messages can force assigned tracks to
          output on the internal sounds.

          Seriously I do not like rechannelize...i leave it off at all times.
          The rechannelize feature belongs on a Casio and not a serious
          gigging instrument. I dont need any sequencer to hold my hand and
          make sure im in the right channel when i play. Can we set up a poll
          and see who leaves rechannelize on and who disables it?

          Thanks so much for humoring me. As always im sure there is something
          about the XX-7 that im not understanding and will probably feel
          stoopid when it is pointed out to me.

          Drew

        • erik_magrini@Baxter.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 4, 2004
            I love rechannelize, and pretty much it's always on with my PX-7. I'll
            set up a poll though, just for you! :)

            rEalm

            Seriously I do not like rechannelize...i leave it off at all times.
            The rechannelize feature belongs on a Casio and not a serious
            gigging instrument. I dont need any sequencer to hold my hand and
            make sure im in the right channel when i play. Can we set up a poll
            and see who leaves rechannelize on and who disables it?

            Thanks so much for humoring me. As always im sure there is something
            about the XX-7 that im not understanding and will probably feel
            stoopid when it is pointed out to me.

            Drew

            The information transmitted is intended only for the person(s)or entity
            to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or legally
            privileged material. Delivery of this message to any person other than
            the intended recipient(s) is not intended in any way to waive privilege
            or confidentiality. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other
            use of , or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
            receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the
            material from any computer.

            For Translation:

            http://www.baxter.com/email_disclaimer

          • Aaron Eppolito
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 4, 2004
              --- drewaight <drewaight@...> wrote:
              > The tracks and the channels are separate no?

              Correct.

              > However if the sequence of events is
              > MIDI --> rechannelize --> MIDI channel --> track --> output.

              Not quite. It's more like:

              MIDI (or pads) --> track --> rechannelize (and int/ext'ify) --> output.

              There're nice big flowchart diagrams in the 2.0 addendum (1.31
              addendum?) that detail how rechannelize works.

              > How is it possible that a MIDI channel assigned to only one track
              that
              > has "ext" as its destination can get to the internal sounds.

              This is where your disconnect is. TRACKS have "int" and "ext"
              destinations, CHANNELS do not. Tracks are assigned to channels, not
              the other way around.

              > Rechannelize hijacks whatever the input is and forces it to be the
              > channel that is currently selected so how does turning this off make
              > it so that incoming MIDI messages can force assigned tracks to
              > output on the internal sounds.

              MIDI comes in on channels. With rechannelize off, it will play the
              internal channels. With rechannelize on, it will send all incoming
              MIDI to the current track's output, be it internal or external.

              > The rechannelize feature belongs on a Casio and not a serious
              > gigging instrument. I dont need any sequencer to hold my hand and
              > make sure im in the right channel when i play.

              Um, well, obviously you do, because otherwise, when you wanted to play
              an external track, you'd like turning on "keyboard transmits MIDI",
              turning off "local control", setting the "keyboard channel" to be the
              right channel, and reassigning any knobs that you wanted to use. When
              you wanted to play an internal sound, you'd like to have to put it all
              back. Not saying you couldn't do it, but it sure seems like the
              feature you claim you hate is the one you're asking for...

              -Aaron

              http://search.yahoo.com
            • drewaight
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 4, 2004
                This is where your disconnect is. TRACKS have "int" and "ext"
                destinations, CHANNELS do not. Tracks are assigned to channels, not
                the other way around.

                Ah ha. So that means if I record on TRACK 1 assigned to MIDI
                CHANNEL_01 with TRACK_05 = "ext" rechannel = "off" but MIDI_C05 = "on"

                Then the playback of that TRACK should be on the external device only?

              • Aaron Eppolito
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 4, 2004
                  --- drewaight <drewaight@...> wrote:
                  > Ah ha. So that means if I record on TRACK 1 assigned to MIDI
                  > CHANNEL_01 with TRACK_05 = "ext" rechannel = "off" but MIDI_C05 =
                  > "on" Then the playback of that TRACK should be on the external
                  device
                  > only?

                  Huh? Now I'm confused.

                  Okay, here's a summary:

                  1 - You can only record one TRACK at a time
                  2 - Tracks may hold one or 16 channels
                  3 - You can record any channel into a track
                  4 - What comes OUT of a track may not be the same as what you put in
                  * this is because if rechannelize is off, you may be putting
                  events into the track that do not correspond to its output
                  5 - Rechannelize on/off ONLY affects INPUT, not track output
                  6 - You cannot specify the track to record via an external channel
                  7 - With rechannelize off, MIDI input will ALWAYS play internal

                  with rechannelize ON:
                  MIDI --> Track --> [track destination/channel] --> synth and/or output

                  with rechannelize OFF:
                  MIDI ---> Track
                  \-> Synth

                  Really, read the diagrams. They are not misleading. I drew the
                  diagrams and wrote the code and the QA guys used it in their testing.
                  They may be unclear and/or hard to understand, but they are correct.

                  The only reason you should have rechannelize OFF is if you are
                  sequencing the box with an external sequencer or if you are using it as
                  a multitimbral synth with a controller keyboard transmitting multiple
                  channels.

                  -Aaron

                  http://search.yahoo.com
                • Aaron Eppolito
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 4, 2004
                    --- drewaight <drewaight@...> wrote:
                    > How can I select channels using my MIDI controller?

                    I think what you meant is:

                    How can I select *TRACKS* using my MIDI controller?

                    and the answer is "you can't".

                    > Ideally I want the sequencer to control the track routing, BUT my
                    > MIDI controller to control the channels. After looking at the diagram
                    > it seems that track routing is intrinsically linked to rechannelize.
                    > I can use only rechannelize AND track routing, or neither. I dont
                    > entirely understand why these components must be linked.

                    Not quite. Track routing is ALWAYS ON no matter what. The tracks will
                    always PLAYBACK on the channels and destinations that they say they
                    will.

                    Rechannelize (which also "reportifies" but there was no UI room for
                    that) only affects incoming MIDI and the pads. With rechannelize off,
                    you will not hear the same thing when you're recording as you do when
                    you play back.

                    I think I finally understand what you want.

                    You want to be able to say "anything that comes in on MIDI channel 5
                    goes to track 5, and will play the same sound as track 5, internal or
                    external". Unfortunately, this is simply not how the XL-7 works. You
                    can only record one track at a time, and you must specify it on the
                    unit itself. Therefore, you should have rechannelize on, and simply
                    change the track/channel on the XL-7 and leave your master keyboard's
                    channel alone.

                    -Aaron

                    http://search.yahoo.com
                  • drewaight
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 4, 2004
                      Haha i tried to delete the first message after i posted it.
                      I think i finally understand now. Thank you so much for your
                      patience. =)
                      I kind of hope that other people are confused by this too because if
                      I was the only one Id feel stupid.

                      Drew
                    • Aaron Eppolito
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 4, 2004
                        Nah, it's not just you. That's why I ended up making those digrams,
                        because it is so confusing. There's a more elegant solution, but alas,
                        we ran out of time to implement it. It's still my pet feature
                        though...

                        -Aaron

                        --- drewaight <drewaight@...> wrote:
                        > I kind of hope that other people are confused by this too because if
                        > I was the only one Id feel stupid.

                        http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                      • Ravi Ivan Sharma
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 4, 2004
                          Do tell! (if you can)

                          --- drewaight <drewaight@...> wrote:
                          > I kind of hope that other people are confused by this too because if
                          > I was the only one Id feel stupid.

                        • Matt Picone
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 4, 2004
                            Know what would have been nice? If holding STOP and START would have
                            stuttered the auto-restart of a pattern at the rate of the current
                            quantize when REPEAT were engaged.

                            -m@
                          • Aaron Eppolito
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 5, 2004
                              That's totally cool.

                              --- Matt Picone <matman@...> wrote:
                              > Know what would have been nice? If holding STOP and START would have
                              > stuttered the auto-restart of a pattern at the rate of the current
                              > quantize when REPEAT were engaged.
                              >
                              > -m@

                              http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                            • Turby Schmidt
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 5, 2004
                                I agree!

                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 12, 2004
                                  Wicked idea!

                                  rEalm

                                  "Matt Picone" <matman@...>
                                  03/04/2004 11:15 PM
                                  Please respond to xl7

                                  To: xl7@yahoogroups.com
                                  cc:
                                  Subject: [xl7] RE-RE-RE-RE-RESTART Pattern

                                  Know what would have been nice? If holding STOP and START would have
                                  stuttered the auto-restart of a pattern at the rate of the current
                                  quantize when REPEAT were engaged.

                                  -m@

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  The information transmitted is intended only for the person(s)or entity
                                  to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or legally
                                  privileged material. Delivery of this message to any person other than
                                  the intended recipient(s) is not intended in any way to waive privilege
                                  or confidentiality. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other
                                  use of , or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
                                  receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the
                                  material from any computer.

                                  For Translation:

                                  http://www.baxter.com/email_disclaimer

                                • robotchas
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 12, 2004
                                    > "Matt Picone" <matman@m...>
                                    > Know what would have been nice? If holding STOP and START would have
                                    > stuttered the auto-restart of a pattern at the rate of the current
                                    > quantize when REPEAT were engaged.
                                    >
                                    > -m@

                                    Yeah, great idea. Should definitely go on the wishlist.
                                  • frodo76at
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 17, 2004
                                      Well, if it helps ... I'm confused now too :P
                                      After reading this rechannelize thing I think it might be the clou
                                      to my MIDI IN to MIDI OUT problem.
                                      I want to control external MIDI gear from my keyboard wich sends its
                                      data trough the XL-7, because I want to record/play the XL-7 with it
                                      AND have to use it for the other gear as well.
                                      So it goes like this:
                                      Keyboard -> (MIDI In set to B) XL-7 (MIDI OUT B) -> external
                                      sequencers (synced to the XL-7)
                                      The keyboard plays the XL-7 and (should play) the external
                                      sequencers.
                                      The problem is that if I set the MIDI IN to B, I cannot route
                                      incoming MIDI data to any of the MIDI Outs.
                                      I could solve the problem when selecting MIDI IN A, but then I not
                                      only play the external, but also the internal XL-7 sounds when using
                                      the factory patterns (because they are all on MIDI A).
                                      When I turn off the MIDI A channels I cannot play back the patterns,
                                      so I would have to rearrange all factory presets to be played via
                                      MIDI B :/

                                      So, is there an elegant way of solving this problem ?

                                      Any help is appreciated !

                                      > Nah, it's not just you. That's why I ended up making those
                                      digrams,
                                      > because it is so confusing. There's a more elegant solution,
                                      but alas,
                                      > we ran out of time to implement it. It's still my pet feature
                                      > though...
                                      >
                                      > -Aaron
                                      >
                                      > --- drewaight <drewaight@y...> wrote:
                                      > > I kind of hope that other people are confused by this too
                                      because if
                                      > > I was the only one Id feel stupid.

                                      of Service.

                                    • Aaron Eppolito
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 17, 2004
                                        Wow, you almost confused me.

                                        There's two ways to do what you're asking; it depends on what you want.

                                        Method 1: (recommended)
                                        Use this if you want your external keyboard to play the appropriate
                                        sound for the track you're working on.

                                        Rechannelize ON, Merge MIDI A:OFF B:OFF, MIDI In Channels A, and...
                                        for each track, setup its destination in the 2nd to last screen in the
                                        pattern edit menu (i.e. should it play internally, externally, or
                                        both).

                                        Now, as you switch tracks on the XL-7, notes played from your kybd (or
                                        pads) will always play the same sound as they will when you record that
                                        track and play it back.

                                        Method 2:
                                        Use this if you want your external synth to always sound in response to
                                        notes played on the keyboard, regardless of what track you're on.

                                        Rechannelize OFF, Merge MIDI A:OFF B:ON (hook ext synth up to B), MIDI
                                        In channels A.

                                        Note however, that with method 2, notes from your external kybd will
                                        ALWAYS play both the internal A synth channels as well as play your
                                        external synth. This is probably not what you want, but maybe it is.

                                        -Aaron

                                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                                      • drewaight
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 17, 2004
                                          "Note however, that with method 2, notes from your external kybd will
                                          ALWAYS play both the internal A synth channels as well as play your
                                          external synth. This is probably not what you want, but maybe it is."

                                          ....Unless you turn the MIDI channel to off, which is what i do.
                                          Actually I pretty much only use tracks and channels 1-5 for internal
                                          sounds, so my main multisetup has tracks 6-16 ext and MIDI channels 6-
                                          16 off. Of course you have to turn the MIDI back on if you are trying
                                          to step sequence an external device, but in this case I have some
                                          dummy patches with no waveforms selected....I use the same patches to
                                          arpeggiate external devices also.
                                        • frodo76at
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 17, 2004
                                            Rehi !

                                            The problem is that I want to use the factory patterns (on MIDI 1-16
                                            A) AND play external hardware with my keyboard through the XL-7. (I
                                            have to go through the XL-7 because I need the MIDI clock signal of
                                            the XL-7 for the tempo sync.)
                                            My question: Can I route "MIDI In - B" to "MIDI Out A and/or B".
                                            And if not ... Why ? I can do it with MIDI IN set to A, so ...
                                            what's the difference and why's there a difference ?
                                            I cannot find any reference to this in the manual.
                                            When I go through it it seems that MIDI IN A can behave just like
                                            MIDI IN B. There are no exceptions I'm aware of.
                                            Is "MIDI IN - B" only meant for internal MIDI B sounds ?
                                            If so this means that MIDI B would be the best place for factory XL-
                                            7 sounds, since MIDI A is more flexible in routing the signal.
                                            (internal and external)
                                            This really gives me a headache.

                                            Just to be a little more confusing ;)

                                            Ronald

> [...]
                                            > > So it goes like this:
                                            > > Keyboard -> (MIDI In set to B) XL-7 (MIDI OUT B) -> external
                                            > > sequencers (synced to the XL-7)
                                            > > The keyboard plays the XL-7 and (should play) the external
                                            > > sequencers.
                                            > > The problem is that if I set the MIDI IN to B, I cannot route
                                            > > incoming MIDI data to any of the MIDI Outs.
                                            > > I could solve the problem when selecting MIDI IN A, but then I
                                            not
                                            > > only play the external, but also the internal XL-7 sounds when
                                            using
                                            > > the factory patterns (because they are all on MIDI A).
                                            > > When I turn off the MIDI A channels I cannot play back the
                                            patterns,
                                            > > so I would have to rearrange all factory presets to be played
                                            via
                                            > > MIDI B :/
                                            > >
                                            > > So, is there an elegant way of solving this problem ?

                                            Terms
                                            > > of Service.

                                            > http://mail.yahoo.com
                                          • Turby Schmidt
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 18, 2004
                                              There is no midi in a isnt it, there is just one midi in but 2 midi out
                                              but you can patch the midi in to any output,
                                              just have in mind that the settings wont be stored in the pattern if there
                                              is no note or controller data to save

> [...]
                                              > > > So it goes like this:
                                              > > > Keyboard -> (MIDI In set to B) XL-7 (MIDI OUT B) -> external
                                              > > > sequencers (synced to the XL-7)
                                              > > > The keyboard plays the XL-7 and (should play) the external
                                              > > > sequencers.
                                              > > > The problem is that if I set the MIDI IN to B, I cannot route
                                              > > > incoming MIDI data to any of the MIDI Outs.
                                              > > > I could solve the problem when selecting MIDI IN A, but then I
                                              >not
                                              > > > only play the external, but also the internal XL-7 sounds when
                                              >using
                                              > > > the factory patterns (because they are all on MIDI A).
                                              > > > When I turn off the MIDI A channels I cannot play back the
                                              >patterns,
                                              > > > so I would have to rearrange all factory presets to be played
                                              >via
                                              > > > MIDI B :/
                                              > > >
                                              > > > So, is there an elegant way of solving this problem ?

                                            • frodo76at
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Mar 18, 2004
                                                In know that there is only one MIDI In, but you can assign it to be
                                                MIDI In A or MIDI In B (see the MIDI setting: "MIDI IN CHANNELS")
                                                There it says: "This menue allows MIDI data received at the MIDI
                                                input port to control either the internal "A" or "B" channels. With
                                                this set to "B", you could play an external MIDI keyboard on
                                                channels 1B-16B while channels 1A-16A remain dedicated to the
                                                internal sequencer."
                                                Well, this is exactly what it does NOT.
                                                When I select "MIDI IN CHANNELS: B" I cannot route the MIDI In
                                                signals to the MIDI Out Port B. (Either not with MERGE MIDI IN TO
                                                OUT B set to ON or OFF. And either not with RECHANNELIZE set to ON
                                                or OFF)
                                                So ... is it a bug ?

                                                Thanks for the help !

                                                Ronald

                                                --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "Turby Schmidt" <trabantmusic@h...>
                                                wrote:

> [...]
                                                > >(or
                                                > > > pads) will always play the same sound as they will when you
                                                record
                                                > >that
                                                > > > track and play it back.
                                                > > >
                                                > > > Method 2:
                                                > > > Use this if you want your external synth to always sound in
                                                > >response to
                                                > > > notes played on the keyboard, regardless of what track you're
                                                on.

                                                > > > Rechannelize OFF, Merge MIDI A:OFF B:ON (hook ext synth up to
                                                B),
                                                > >MIDI
                                                > > > In channels A.
                                                > > >
                                                > > > Note however, that with method 2, notes from your external kybd
                                                > >will
                                                > > > ALWAYS play both the internal A synth channels as well as play
                                                your
                                                > > > external synth. This is probably not what you want, but maybe

                                              • n6i6s6
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Mar 18, 2004
                                                  Have you set the B channel tracks to "ext" or both in the pattern
                                                  edit menu?

                                                  --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "frodo76at" <frodo@c...> wrote:
                                                  > In know that there is only one MIDI In, but you can assign it to
                                                  be
                                                  > MIDI In A or MIDI In B (see the MIDI setting: "MIDI IN CHANNELS")
                                                  > There it says: "This menue allows MIDI data received at the MIDI
                                                  > input port to control either the internal "A" or "B" channels.
                                                  With
                                                  > this set to "B", you could play an external MIDI keyboard on
                                                  > channels 1B-16B while channels 1A-16A remain dedicated to the
                                                  > internal sequencer."
                                                  > Well, this is exactly what it does NOT.
                                                  > When I select "MIDI IN CHANNELS: B" I cannot route the MIDI In
                                                  > signals to the MIDI Out Port B. (Either not with MERGE MIDI IN TO
                                                  > OUT B set to ON or OFF. And either not with RECHANNELIZE set to ON
                                                  > or OFF)
                                                  > So ... is it a bug ?
                                                  >
                                                  > Thanks for the help !
                                                  >
                                                  > Ronald

                                                • frodo76at
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Mar 20, 2004
                                                    Yes. The B channels are set to both, but I don't want to use recorded
                                                    patterns to go through the MIDI Out Port B. I would like to go
                                                    through the XL-7 to play external instruments live.
                                                    I also found out that rechannelize doesn't help me with that, since
                                                    there is no MIDI output either on MIDI Port B, when setting "MIDI In
                                                    to Output B" and selecting a MIDI B channel in the Sound-Preset
                                                    window. Seems like there is no way to get MIDI In B signals out of
                                                    the XL-7 (live). :(
                                                    In the meantime I tried a different setup.
                                                    I use the XL-7 rubber pads (mostly) for external instruments on other
                                                    MIDI equipment and the external keyboard for the internal XL-7 sounds.
                                                    Sadly I cannot use more than an octave for the external sounds, but I
                                                    think I won't need them that much, since I'm about to use the full
                                                    capacity of the XL-7 rom-space an therefore would be able to have
                                                    most of the instruments in my cool, freaky, funky, orange XL-7 baby =)