manual

  • andi
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 27, 2004
      Frank, where were you with your manual 18 months ago when I needed you!  :)   I am going to add links to your manual and this group on the page I mentioned in my last message.  This Link Checking page actually is the second most popular on my site and gets quite a bit of traffic from Google as well as the Xenu site so this should send you some visitors.  I'll have those links online in an hour or so.

      I will read your manual more carefully in the coming days but the only suggestion I can make now is that you should mention that in addition to exporting the results to Excel the data can also go to MS Access or any database program.   Lotus 123 will also accept tab delimited files, so maybe just adding "or any spreadsheet or database" would be sufficient.  I mention this because I'm sure there are others like myself who use the Lotus spreadsheet and other databases.  I export Xenu data to Access because I just use the database more than Lotus 123.

      Good job!

      Andi
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 27, 2004
        On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:32:59 -0700, andi wrote:

        >Frank, where were you with your manual 18 months ago when I needed you! :) I am going to add links to your manual and this group on the page I mentioned in my last message. This Link Checking page actually is the second most popular on my site

        This is because I link to you :-)

        I am now linking to Frank's manual too.

        Tilman

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 27, 2004
          >>This Link Checking page actually is the second most popular on my site
          >>This is
          because I link to you :-)

          Indeed, since 4/01/03 that page has been viewed 11,691 times. 4,253 were referrals from snafu.de...  Many of those 11k were no doubt return visits by those you referred.  In that same time the entire site received 161,566 visitors.  The usual visitor count caveats apply.  :)

          Those 161 k visitors were spared the disappointment of clicking on 809 dead links.  For this I owe you a debt of gratitude Tillman.

          Andi
          On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:32:59 -0700, andi wrote:

          >Frank, where were you with your manual 18 months ago when I needed you!  :)   I am going to add links to your manual and this group on the page I mentioned in my last message.  This Link Checking page actually is the second most popular on my site

          This is because I link to you :-)

          I am now linking to Frank's manual too.

          Tilman

          >and gets quite a bit of traffic from Google as well as the Xenu site so this should send you some visitors.  I'll have those links online in an hour or so.
          >
          >I will read your manual more carefully in the coming days but the only suggestion I can make now is that you should mention that in addition to exporting the results to Excel the data can also go to MS Access or any database program.   Lotus 123 will also accept tab delimited files, so maybe just adding "or any spreadsheet or database" would be sufficient.  I mention this because I'm sure there are others like myself who use the Lotus spreadsheet and other databases.  I export Xenu data to Access because I just use the database more than Lotus 123.

        • Frank Visser
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 29, 2004

            Hi andi,

            Thats a very nice thing to hear from a linkcheck colleague.

            I’ve been spending the last 5 years with quality assurance of Intel’s European websites, so that’s about 3000 pages (was even 8000 in the past) and a lot of links!

            Xenu just did the job for me, even in a CMS environment that multiplied all links by 5 due to redirects.

            Can you explan why you export the reports to a database? I read something on your page about retrying and reviving dead links, will investigate that more.

            Frank Visser, Waterpoortweg 279, 1051 pv, Amsterdam

            Author of: Ken Wilber: Thought as Passion SUNY 2003

            Read all about Ken Wilber : http://www.integralworld.net

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 29, 2004
              Hi Frank,

              >>Can you explan why you export the reports to a database?

              Yes.  All my links and their associated comments, descriptions, categories etc. reside in a local MS Access database and I assemble the static pages with (mostly) VB and (some) Perl scripts.  This provides me with maximum flexibility and scalability when redesigning the pages and reconfiguring the categories.  It also is a precursor to a MySQL dynamic presentation.  So when I delete dead links I remove them first from the database with Xenu and then reassemble and upload the pages.  The easiest way I have found to match the Xenu results to the database is to copy the link titles of the dead links in the exported Xenu report (I keep the dead link titles and discard the rest).  I match them with a simple query and then delete the dead records after copying them to the "dead table."

              As for resurrecting old links, I was doing that for a time, but I have since purchased a spider allows me to move so quickly on the web that it doesn't pay to dig through the dregs.  Though I still do keep them, it wouldn't take long to find any residual good ones with Xenu and I may eventually get back to that.

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 14, 2004
                A user had trouble accessing her FTP site to check for orphans because
                she was running Zonealarm. While I wasn't able to find out a workable
                setting for Zonealarm, I was able to modify Xenu so that it used passive
                mode for FTP.

                I'm wondering if I should set this by default, or does it have any
                unwelcome side effects?

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 15, 2004
                  I wonder if I should change Xenu so that it delivers a proper REFERER,
                  or at least making it an option. Anyone interested in testing a version?
                • Eugeny.Sattler@RU.NESTLE.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 15, 2004
                    > I wonder if I should change Xenu so that it delivers a proper REFERER,
                    > or at least making it an option. Anyone interested in testing a version?
                    Yes! Yes! Yes!
                    I am interested!

                    Also, I suggest to add possibility to deliver base URL as referer.
                    For example, if I check http://somesite.com/dir/subdir/file.ext
                    referer should automatically be set to:
                    option1) http://somesite.com/
                    option2) http://somesite.com/dir/subdir/