Re: [xenu-usergroup] Web subfolder that is not scanned

  • Marisa Ciceran
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 15, 2008
      Sorry, I meant to say that scanning # 3 gives the same results as # 2.

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 15, 2008
        http://istrianet.org/
        links to
        http://istro-romanian.com/index.html
        which is NOT a redirection, but an ordinary page, and it links back to
        the main domain. However
        http://istro-romanian.com/index.html
        is not downloaded, only checked for existance if you do #1. Solution:
        "include" http://istro-romanian.com in scan #1.

        However all this isn't even needed, because a scan to
        http://istrianet.org/
        does reach
        http://istrianet.org/istria/linguistics/istrorumeno/ anyway, i.e.
        without the "include".

        Tilman

        On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 20:24:56 -0400, Marisa Ciceran wrote:

        >Sorry, I meant to say that scanning # 3 gives the same results as # 2.
        >
        >Marisa Ciceran wrote:
        >> Hi,
        >>
        >> You may have covered this topic already and I apologize to everyone if
        >> so. I've been using XENU for years and am very appreciative of what it does.
        >>
        >> Last year, I created a "redirection" of one of my domains to a subfolder
        >> of my main domain, thinking that this would not affect the XENU link
        >> program. I've just discovered that it does the following (I will use the
        >> real URLs)
        >>
        >> Main domain (#1): http://istrianet.org/
        >> Secondary domain (#2): http://istro-romanian.com/ - this is redirected
        >> to http://istrianet.org/istria/linguistics/istrorumeno/ (#3) which has a
        >> number of subfolders
        >>
        >> If I try to do a XENU scan of #1, I do not know if it checks the
        >> folders that are linked to either the existing or redirected path of # 2..
        >>
        >> If check on # 2, the XENU report tells me that only 7 files out of the
        >> 71 in that folder have been scanned, and none of the subfolders are
        >> scanned at all.
        >>
        >> If check # 3, I get the same results as with # 1. I have also tried
        >> using the "treat as internal" feature with no difference in any results.
        >> However, If I do a XENU check of the individual subfolders of #3, then
        >> there XENU gives the correct results for each scan, but that does not
        >> solve the problem. domain scan.
        >>
        >> Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to correct this problem? I am
        >> not technically trained so cannot do any sort of scriipting on my own.
        >>
        >> Thanks,
        >>
        >> Marisa

      • Marisa Ciceran
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 16, 2008
          Hi Tilman,

          Tilman Hausherr wrote:
          http://istrianet.org/
          links to
          http://istro-romanian.com/index.html
          which is NOT a redirection, but an ordinary page, and it links back to
          the main domain.
          By redirection, I mean that when I type "http://istro-romanian.com" in the command line, it redirects to the folder "http://istrianet.org/istria/linguistics/istrorumeno/"
          However
          http://istro-romanian.com/index.html
          is not downloaded, only checked for existance if you do #1. Solution:
          "include" http://istro-romanian.com in scan #1.

          I have done that, but must be missing something..
          However all this isn't even needed, because a scan to
          http://istrianet.org/
          does reach
          http://istrianet.org/istria/linguistics/istrorumeno/ anyway, i.e.
          without the "include".

          I appreciate your response, but I am still confused.

          What I would like to do is use XENU on the individual subfolder just named, just as I am able to do on all the other subfolders on my site. Yes, the scan reaches the folder, but unlike other folders which give a complete report, it reads only 7 out of 71 files in that folder and ignores all its subfolders even when I use the "include" feature.  I know there is something I must am doing wrong here. I have used the "include" feature in all the scenarios I previously mentioned and it makes no difference in the results. Do you have any other suggestions?

          Thanks,

          Marisa

          Marisa Ciceran wrote:

[...]

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:xenu-usergroup-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:xenu-usergroup-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 16, 2008
            On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 16:08:48 -0400, Marisa Ciceran wrote:

            >I have done that, but must be missing something..
            >

            >However all this isn't even needed, because a scan to
            >http://istrianet.org/
            >does reach
            >http://istrianet.org/istria/linguistics/istrorumeno/ anyway, i.e.
            >without the "include".
            > I appreciate your response, but I am still confused.
            >

            >What I would like to do is use XENU on the individual subfolder just named, just as I am able to do on all the other subfolders on my site. Yes, the scan reaches the folder, but unlike other folders which give a complete report, it reads only 7 out of 71 files in that folder and ignores all its subfolders even when I use the "include" feature. I know there is something I must am doing wrong here. I have used the "include" feature in all the scenarios I previously mentioned and it makes no difference in the results. Do you have any other suggestions?

            If you scan http://istro-romanian.com/ then it will check only URLs that
            starts with http://istro-romanian.com/ , not URLs that start with
            http://istrianet.org/ , or http://www.xenu.net or whatever. Unless you
            include http://istrianet.org/ so that it gets checked as well.

            Anyway, the truth is that you don't have a problem at all. Just scan
            http://istrianet.org/ and it checks all your stuff including
            http://istrianet.org/istria/linguistics/istrorumeno/ .

            That http://istro-romanian.com has only 7 links is sortof true, because
            the links all go to an external site.

            Tilman
          • Marisa Ciceran
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 16, 2008
              Hi Tilman,

              Tilman Hausherr wrote:
[...]

              I solved my problem by using internal links instead of external ones on that folder's index page!

              Thanks for your clues, :-)