Web subfolder that is not scanned

  • Marisa Ciceran
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 15, 2008

      You may have covered this topic already and I apologize to everyone if
      so. I've been using XENU for years and am very appreciative of what it does.

      Last year, I created a "redirection" of one of my domains to a subfolder
      of my main domain, thinking that this would not affect the XENU link
      program. I've just discovered that it does the following (I will use the
      real URLs)

      Main domain (#1): http://istrianet.org/
      Secondary domain (#2): http://istro-romanian.com/ - this is redirected
      to http://istrianet.org/istria/linguistics/istrorumeno/ (#3) which has a
      number of subfolders

      If I try to do a XENU scan of #1, I do not know if it checks the
      folders that are linked to either the existing or redirected path of # 2..

      If check on # 2, the XENU report tells me that only 7 files out of the
      71 in that folder have been scanned, and none of the subfolders are
      scanned at all.

      If check # 3, I get the same results as with # 1. I have also tried
      using the "treat as internal" feature with no difference in any results.
      However, If I do a XENU check of the individual subfolders of #3, then
      there XENU gives the correct results for each scan, but that does not
      solve the problem. domain scan.

      Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to correct this problem? I am
      not technically trained so cannot do any sort of scriipting on my own.

      Thanks,

      Marisa
    • Marisa Ciceran
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 15, 2008
        Sorry, I meant to say that scanning # 3 gives the same results as # 2.

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 15, 2008
          http://istrianet.org/
          links to
          http://istro-romanian.com/index.html
          which is NOT a redirection, but an ordinary page, and it links back to
          the main domain. However
          http://istro-romanian.com/index.html
          is not downloaded, only checked for existance if you do #1. Solution:
          "include" http://istro-romanian.com in scan #1.

          However all this isn't even needed, because a scan to
          http://istrianet.org/
          does reach
          http://istrianet.org/istria/linguistics/istrorumeno/ anyway, i.e.
          without the "include".

          Tilman

          On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 20:24:56 -0400, Marisa Ciceran wrote:

          >Sorry, I meant to say that scanning # 3 gives the same results as # 2.
          >
          >Marisa Ciceran wrote:
          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> You may have covered this topic already and I apologize to everyone if
          >> so. I've been using XENU for years and am very appreciative of what it does.
          >>
          >> Last year, I created a "redirection" of one of my domains to a subfolder
          >> of my main domain, thinking that this would not affect the XENU link
          >> program. I've just discovered that it does the following (I will use the
          >> real URLs)
          >>
          >> Main domain (#1): http://istrianet.org/
          >> Secondary domain (#2): http://istro-romanian.com/ - this is redirected
          >> to http://istrianet.org/istria/linguistics/istrorumeno/ (#3) which has a
          >> number of subfolders
          >>
          >> If I try to do a XENU scan of #1, I do not know if it checks the
          >> folders that are linked to either the existing or redirected path of # 2..
          >>
          >> If check on # 2, the XENU report tells me that only 7 files out of the
          >> 71 in that folder have been scanned, and none of the subfolders are
          >> scanned at all.
          >>
          >> If check # 3, I get the same results as with # 1. I have also tried
          >> using the "treat as internal" feature with no difference in any results.
          >> However, If I do a XENU check of the individual subfolders of #3, then
          >> there XENU gives the correct results for each scan, but that does not
          >> solve the problem. domain scan.
          >>
          >> Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to correct this problem? I am
          >> not technically trained so cannot do any sort of scriipting on my own.
          >>
          >> Thanks,
          >>
          >> Marisa

        • Marisa Ciceran
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 16, 2008
            Hi Tilman,

            Tilman Hausherr wrote:
            http://istrianet.org/
            links to
            http://istro-romanian.com/index.html
            which is NOT a redirection, but an ordinary page, and it links back to
            the main domain.
            By redirection, I mean that when I type "http://istro-romanian.com" in the command line, it redirects to the folder "http://istrianet.org/istria/linguistics/istrorumeno/"
            However
            http://istro-romanian.com/index.html
            is not downloaded, only checked for existance if you do #1. Solution:
            "include" http://istro-romanian.com in scan #1.

            I have done that, but must be missing something..
            However all this isn't even needed, because a scan to
            http://istrianet.org/
            does reach
            http://istrianet.org/istria/linguistics/istrorumeno/ anyway, i.e.
            without the "include".

            I appreciate your response, but I am still confused.

            What I would like to do is use XENU on the individual subfolder just named, just as I am able to do on all the other subfolders on my site. Yes, the scan reaches the folder, but unlike other folders which give a complete report, it reads only 7 out of 71 files in that folder and ignores all its subfolders even when I use the "include" feature.  I know there is something I must am doing wrong here. I have used the "include" feature in all the scenarios I previously mentioned and it makes no difference in the results. Do you have any other suggestions?

            Thanks,

            Marisa

            Tilman

            On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 20:24:56 -0400, Marisa Ciceran wrote:

            Sorry, I meant to say that scanning # 3 gives the same results as # 2.

            Marisa Ciceran wrote:

            Hi,

[...]

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:xenu-usergroup-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:xenu-usergroup-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 16, 2008
              On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 16:08:48 -0400, Marisa Ciceran wrote:

              >I have done that, but must be missing something..
              >

              >However all this isn't even needed, because a scan to
              >http://istrianet.org/
              >does reach
              >http://istrianet.org/istria/linguistics/istrorumeno/ anyway, i.e.
              >without the "include".
              > I appreciate your response, but I am still confused.
              >

              >What I would like to do is use XENU on the individual subfolder just named, just as I am able to do on all the other subfolders on my site. Yes, the scan reaches the folder, but unlike other folders which give a complete report, it reads only 7 out of 71 files in that folder and ignores all its subfolders even when I use the "include" feature. I know there is something I must am doing wrong here. I have used the "include" feature in all the scenarios I previously mentioned and it makes no difference in the results. Do you have any other suggestions?

              If you scan http://istro-romanian.com/ then it will check only URLs that
              starts with http://istro-romanian.com/ , not URLs that start with
              http://istrianet.org/ , or http://www.xenu.net or whatever. Unless you
              include http://istrianet.org/ so that it gets checked as well.

              Anyway, the truth is that you don't have a problem at all. Just scan
              http://istrianet.org/ and it checks all your stuff including
              http://istrianet.org/istria/linguistics/istrorumeno/ .

              That http://istro-romanian.com has only 7 links is sortof true, because
              the links all go to an external site.

              Tilman
            • Marisa Ciceran
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 16, 2008
                Hi Tilman,

                Tilman Hausherr wrote:
[...]

                I solved my problem by using internal links instead of external ones on that folder's index page!

                Thanks for your clues, :-)