internal named links (href="#target") not checked?

  • Jan Hendrik
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27, 2008
      Hi group,

      I have used Xenu since years and thought I could rely on it, but
      accidentally link checking a single page in Homesite editor
      yesterday I found that the target (<a name="top">) for an internal
      link (href="#top") was missing, and missing in all pages of the site.
      Yet checking again with Xenu 1.2j everything is reported as fine
      while it is not.

      Is this intentional and documented someplace or a bug or just not
      supported or deprecated by some self-declared web authority?
      Searching the web for "xenu linksleuth named anchor" has not
      brought any enlightenment.

      I hope I don't have to check 15K files one by one in Homesite!

      TIA,

      Sean
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 27, 2008
        These are checked, but only at reporting time. Thus, look at the report
        :-)

        (If it isn't found there, send me the URL)

        Tilman

        On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 15:47:38 +0200, Jan Hendrik wrote:

        >Hi group,
        >
        >I have used Xenu since years and thought I could rely on it, but
        >accidentally link checking a single page in Homesite editor
        >yesterday I found that the target (<a name="top">) for an internal
        >link (href="#top") was missing, and missing in all pages of the site.
        > Yet checking again with Xenu 1.2j everything is reported as fine
        >while it is not.
        >
        >Is this intentional and documented someplace or a bug or just not
        >supported or deprecated by some self-declared web authority?
        >Searching the web for "xenu linksleuth named anchor" has not
        >brought any enlightenment.
        >
        >I hope I don't have to check 15K files one by one in Homesite!
        >
        >TIA,
        >
        >Sean

      • Jan Hendrik
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 27, 2008
          Concerning Re: [xenu-usergroup] internal named
          Tilman Hausherr wrote on 27 Sep 2008, 15:51, at least in part:

          > These are checked, but only at reporting time. Thus, look at the
          > report :-)

          Indeed! I had a feeling I had seen these reported in the past, yet
          the current version is not that new that I would have expected
          something having been lost recently. I barely ever load the report
          anymore for a) it takes an awful lot of time to load, even without
          sitemap, and b) I don't like it to run and connect IE to the web
          when I always use Opera for web connections. I suppose it is not
          hardcoded, but using the default browser. Making Opera the
          default in the past had raised issues with Windows, maybe that
          would not be true any longer.

          Anyway, thanks for pointing me to the right thing, glad the
          checking is still there.

          Jan Hendrik
          Freedom quote:

          Only our individual faith in freedom can keep us free.
          -- Dwight D. Eisenhower