Checking for Protected pages

  • dsganesh78
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 18, 2008
      I am a newbie of this tool and impressed with its capabilities.

      Had few probelms, which is blocking me from recommending this tool
      further.

      Note: I am running this tool against my test environment.

      1. For Protected pages - pages that requires authentication.
      I followed the steps, opened IE, logged in, then started Xenu,
      enabled Cookies, provided the URL (URL of default page once logged
      in). But Xenu checked only two links, same as without cookies
      disabled.

      Then I tried with enabling the option 'Ask for password or
      certificate when needed', it did not ask for any password or
      certifcate and ended up again checking only 2 links.

      Please help me to get over this, for checking pages beyond login
      required.

      Thanks
      dsganesh
    • narender.gbpec@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 18, 2008
        I had a same problem with Xenu. It cant navigate further once authentication page appeared.
        I tried all the solution enabled cookies, checked ask for password options but couldnt help.
        since then i stopped using xenu, just waiting some one has answer of this question.

        Hi,

        --
        Regards,

        Narender
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 18, 2008
          On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:33:04 -0000, dsganesh78 wrote:

          >Note: I am running this tool against my test environment.
          >
          >1. For Protected pages - pages that requires authentication.
          >I followed the steps, opened IE, logged in, then started Xenu,
          >enabled Cookies, provided the URL (URL of default page once logged
          >in). But Xenu checked only two links, same as without cookies
          >disabled.
          >
          >Then I tried with enabling the option 'Ask for password or
          >certificate when needed', it did not ask for any password or
          >certifcate and ended up again checking only 2 links.

          That option isn't related to a web based login.

          >Please help me to get over this, for checking pages beyond login
          >required.

          If this "test environment" is not in your intranet, I would love to test
          Xenu on it Re: that login problem.

          Tilman
        • Shankar Ganesh
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 19, 2008
            Unfortunately, this is on our protected network. Do
            you see/know a way to work around this?

            Regards
            Sankar
            --- Tilman Hausherr <tilman@...> wrote:

            > On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:33:04 -0000, dsganesh78
            > wrote:
            >
            > >Note: I am running this tool against my test
            > environment.
            > >
            > >1. For Protected pages - pages that requires
            > authentication.
            > >I followed the steps, opened IE, logged in, then
            > started Xenu,
            > >enabled Cookies, provided the URL (URL of default
            > page once logged
            > >in). But Xenu checked only two links, same as
            > without cookies
            > >disabled.
            > >
            > >Then I tried with enabling the option 'Ask for
            > password or
            > >certificate when needed', it did not ask for any
            > password or
            > >certifcate and ended up again checking only 2
            > links.
            >
            > That option isn't related to a web based login.
            >

            > >Please help me to get over this, for checking pages
            > beyond login
            > >required.
            >
            > If this "test environment" is not in your intranet,
            > I would love to test
            > Xenu on it Re: that login problem.
            >
            > Tilman

            Bollywood, fun, friendship, sports and more. You name it, we have it on http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/bestofyahoo/
          • Shankar Ganesh
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 19, 2008
              Hi Tilman,

              I tried with yahoo mail
              (https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?&.src=ym);
              The results are the same, it does not check for links
              on pages beyond login.

              Apart from enabling cookies, is there any browser
              setting that I should enable/disable for the tool to
              recognise cookies and consider logged in pages?

              Appreciate your inputs.

              Thanks in advance
              Sankar D.

              Explore your hobbies and interests. Go to http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 19, 2008
                I just made a test with
                http://de.groups.yahoo.com/
                and logged in with IE.
                Then I started Xenu, enabled the cookies, started the check, and the
                links did include the groups that I am subscribed to.

                So it obviously the trick works for SOME sites.

                Tilman