Need Help Interpreting Xenu Report

  • Cold_Ethyl
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 16, 2008
      Good Day!

      I need to write a report for management and am having difficulty
      interpreting the results of the Xenu.

      Could someone please clarify...?

      For instance, the section summary report totals the broken links of
      one of our user groups to be "5450" - but the statistics table at the
      bottom states only 99 are actually "not found."

      I note that many of the broken URLS appear on multiple pages...so does
      the report section summary total up all of the instances and the
      summary table at the bottom of the report only report the unique
      instances of broken links?

      Also: the report has picked up thousands of "time out" errors...and I
      am wondering if there is a way to avoid those on the report?

      Further, in the statistics table at the bottom of the report, what are
      "pending" URLS? Are these URLS which have not yet been checked?

      A large number of reportedly broken URLS are not actually
      broken...they are links into an internal (public) database... how can
      we alleviate receiving these false positives from showing up on the
      report?

      Finally, we are also seeing a large number of "403" forbidden links
      when using a "canned search" of Google's Image database. Is there any
      way to avoid this?

      Thanks in advance,

      Kelly
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 16, 2008
        On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 13:39:16 -0000, Cold_Ethyl wrote:

        >Good Day!
        >
        >I need to write a report for management and am having difficulty
        >interpreting the results of the Xenu.
        >
        >Could someone please clarify...?
        >
        >For instance, the section summary report totals the broken links of
        >one of our user groups to be "5450" - but the statistics table at the
        >bottom states only 99 are actually "not found."
        >
        >I note that many of the broken URLS appear on multiple pages...so does
        >the report section summary total up all of the instances and the
        >summary table at the bottom of the report only report the unique
        >instances of broken links?

        Don't know... I would have to get all the details. (.XEN file)

        >Also: the report has picked up thousands of "time out" errors...and I
        >am wondering if there is a way to avoid those on the report?

        Yes, press CTRL-R in the Xenu window.

        >Further, in the statistics table at the bottom of the report, what are
        >"pending" URLS? Are these URLS which have not yet been checked?

        Yes

        >A large number of reportedly broken URLS are not actually
        >broken...they are links into an internal (public) database... how can
        >we alleviate receiving these false positives from showing up on the
        >report?

        Talk with the webmaster that he properly configures his system. Or
        exclude them in the initial dialogbox.

        >Finally, we are also seeing a large number of "403" forbidden links
        >when using a "canned search" of Google's Image database. Is there any
        >way to avoid this?

        Yes, exclude links to google in the initial dialogbox.

        Tilman

        >Thanks in advance,
        >
        >Kelly

      • Vince Thacker
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 17, 2008
          Surely part of the answer to this is that not all broken links are 'file not
          found' errors. I get reports of server errors (error no. 500), site too busy
          (503) and very often forbidden enquiry (403) amongst others. I'd have a
          careful look at the reasons for the broken link messages, which are as clear
          as the web sites make them. Seems fair enough to total up errors even if
          they are duplicates on different pages - they're still broken links. Some
          web sites seem to give out misleading erros, though - sometimes I get a 404
          file not found, but then go to the site manually without any problems.

          Vince.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 17, 2008
            Yes, there are false positives sometimes... this happens with some
            webservers :-(

            Tilman