What's New file.

  • oteotd
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2008
      Hello;

      I have been using Xenu for some time.

      I am a person that does not just update to a newer version of a
      program just because it is available.

      Sometimes the newer versions add too much or take away something I
      used so I have to go back to the older version.

      That said I currently use Xenu 1.2e. Today I downloaded the latest
      to find out it supplied as an installer instead of a zip file where
      you can just place the program where you want.

      There is no What's new file inside the zip file. I am guessing you
      can not see that until after the install. I would like to see a copy
      of this file before I decide to install the newest version of the
      program.

      It would be great if that file was included in the zip file or if
      there were two downloads availale one in manual install format and
      one with a setup file.

      If anyone can point me to a place I can read the What's new file
      that would be great.

      Thanks
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2008
        On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 12:15:50 -0000, oteotd wrote:

        >Hello;
        >
        >I have been using Xenu for some time.
        >
        >I am a person that does not just update to a newer version of a
        >program just because it is available.
        >
        >Sometimes the newer versions add too much or take away something I
        >used so I have to go back to the older version.
        >
        >That said I currently use Xenu 1.2e. Today I downloaded the latest
        >to find out it supplied as an installer instead of a zip file where
        >you can just place the program where you want.

        Same can be done with the installer. You can install Xenu wherever you
        want. Many people asked for an installer, claimed that the old solution
        was unprofessional, etc.

        >There is no What's new file inside the zip file. I am guessing you
        >can not see that until after the install. I would like to see a copy
        >of this file before I decide to install the newest version of the
        >program.

        It is in the mailing list:

        But yes, I should add the whatsnew.txt file to the ZIP file.

        Tilman

        >It would be great if that file was included in the zip file or if
        >there were two downloads availale one in manual install format and
        >one with a setup file.
        >
        >If anyone can point me to a place I can read the What's new file
        >that would be great.
        >
        >Thanks

      • oteotd
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2008
          Thanks for the reply, I will read the whats new and see if I need to
          update or not. I have been happy with the version that I have. I
          have even figured out a way to check my links that are in Java
          Script without a lot of trouble. It is not perfect but will tell me
          if something is missing from my site.

          Here is my work around if you are interested in posting it somewhere
          for others to read that is ok with me.

          What I do is create a page I call a diagnostic page. I then place a
          text link on that page to every item that is not available from my
          text or image links. For example I use a java menu. I also have a
          site map on my website to every page of the site. However the site
          map don't point to things such as the js files required for the menu
          and rollover images for the menu.

          So I place the links to those things in my diagnostic page and then
          link to the diagnostic page with a small background color matching
          image on my site map, if someone finds the link no big deal. Or I
          simply have the home page link on my diagnostic page and start my
          link checking from there.

          This will at least tell me if one of my images or js files is
          missing. In my diagnostic page I set it with a robots txt line for
          noindex nofollow and since Xenu does not honor robots txt it follows
          it anyway where most web serach bots won't.

          Have a good day.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 15, 2008
            Alternatively, just create the pages so that people who have disabled JS
            or plugins have an alternative, e.g. by using <NOSCRIPT> and <NOAPPLET>.

            Tilman