Re: New ...

  • wernerapnj
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 15, 2008
      I think we are misunderstanding each other.

      My issue that I scan the site using:

      http://cityofasburypark.com/

      I ASSUME that the entire site will the spidered and reported on
      is that not correct?

      Clearly some PAGES on that site have problems,( I posted a few
      previously) those are not reported by the scan.

      Am I not understanding what xenu should do? I thought it should start
      at the root and work through all the branches and report.

      (BTW - I never said is showed only one link, kindly re-read my posts,
      I've already pointed out some of the issues)

      Thanks Werner

      > What I have been saying is that
      >
      > 1) One of the URLs http://www.cityasburypark.com does indeed not exist.
      > 2) The other URL http://www.cityofasburypark.com does exist and shows
      > 109 links. (You said it would show only one).
      > 3) Other URLs you said that didn't work do work.
      >
      > What I suggest is this:
      > 0) Get the latest version.
      > 1) Correct the broken link, i.e. the one that links to
      > cityasburypark.com (without the "of").
      > 2) Scan the site again from the beginning. Save your work in a .XEN
      file.
      > 3) e-mail me to tilman at snafu dot de, with the .XEN file and with
      > a) the URLs that you don't find there although they should be there, and
      > with the URLs of the page where they are
      > b) the URLs that are reported wrongly as broken
      > c) the URLs that are reported wrongly as correct although they are
      broken.

    • wernerapnj
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 15, 2008
        For anyone else reading this group....

        Tilman has informed me that xenu does not parse Java Script embedded
        links. That is the cause on my difficulties.

        Regards - Werner
      • Stephen Gazard
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 15, 2008
          If I may suggest something.  your links in your events section are of the format <a onclick="window.open(.....)" href="#">text></a>

          Having your links in this format is not friendly to search engines/xenu which parse text, and don't interpret the JavaScript.  So for that reason alone you would want to generate links where you include the
          href="http://some.link.here" so that the links can be spidered/parsed.  If you've been having problems with the pop-up window opening and the page from which the link was opened also going to that link, simply alter your onclick statement to:  onclick="window.open(.....);return false;"  <-- the return false makes all the difference stopping the browser from following the link, while only executing the code which opens a new window.  So now your pop-up windows work fine, and the site can be spidered.   Both of which are a benefit to you.

          Apologies if you receive this in HTML and prefer text; I was trying to be clearer, and have sent in both formats
          Stephen