Re: [xenu-usergroup] New User Question

  • Brooke Clarke
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 12, 2008
      Hi Tilman:

      I added the RegEdit timeout value of 2 minutes and am now getting 20% timeouts,
      which is a substantial improvement.

      In XENU.INI version 1.2J there is no variable called FailSimilarHosts.

      I'll explicitly allow Xenu and see if that helps.

      Have Fun,

      Brooke Clarke
      http://www.prc68.com/P/Prod.html Products I make and sell
      http://www.prc68.com/Alpha.shtml All my web pages listed based on html name
      http://www.PRC68.com
      http://www.precisionclock.com
      http://www.prc68.com/I/WebCam2.shtml 24/7 Sky-Weather-Astronomy Web Cam

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 12, 2008
        On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 09:32:12 -0700, Brooke Clarke wrote:

        >Hi Tilman:
        >
        >I added the RegEdit timeout value of 2 minutes and am now getting 20% timeouts,
        >which is a substantial improvement.
        >
        >In XENU.INI version 1.2J there is no variable called FailSimilarHosts.

        You can add it in the ini file. Or download the current beta, where you
        can configure it in the options.

        >I'll explicitly allow Xenu and see if that helps.

        You may need to temporarly disable "stateful packet inspection" (SPI) if
        it is there.

        Tilman

        >Have Fun,
        >
        >Brooke Clarke
        >http://www.prc68.com/P/Prod.html Products I make and sell
        >http://www.prc68.com/Alpha.shtml All my web pages listed based on html name
        >http://www.PRC68.com
        >http://www.precisionclock.com
        >http://www.prc68.com/I/WebCam2.shtml 24/7 Sky-Weather-Astronomy Web Cam
        >
        >Tilman Hausherr wrote:
        >> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 22:47:46 -0700, Brooke Clarke wrote:
        >>

        >>>Hi Telman:
        >>>
        >>>I already have both the HTTP 1.1 boxes checked.
        >>

        >> But have you tried the other tips in the FAQ? Especially the firewall
        >> settings. This is something I experienced myself after buying a new
        >> firewall box. Some firewalls may consider Xenu to be a DoS tool.
        >>
        >> Tilman
        >>

        >>>Have Fun,
        >>>
        >>>Brooke Clarke
        >>>http://www.prc68.com/P/Prod.html Products I make and sell
        >>>http://www.prc68.com/Alpha.shtml All my web pages listed based on html name
        >>>http://www.PRC68.com
        >>>http://www.precisionclock.com
        >>>http://www.prc68.com/I/WebCam2.shtml 24/7 Sky-Weather-Astronomy Web Cam

        >>>Yahoo! Groups Links
        >>>

        >> Yahoo! Groups Links
        >>

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Brooke Clarke
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 12, 2008
          Hi:

          After explicitly adding Xneu to Windows firewall there were no more timeouts.
          Perfect operation.

          BUT, then tried a different web page and now get no connection and when reset
          entry is used they come out OK. How does no connection differ from timeout?

          On that page, http://www.prc68.com/I/FlashlightPat.shtml, there are many photos
          but the linked photo has not been uploaded (not enough disk space) so some sort
          of error is expected. Most show up as object permanently moved, but one showed
          up as not found. I'm not concerned since it's a 1 in 1000 type of thing.

          Adding the FailSimilarHosts=0 to Xneu.ini helped the above no connection
          problem, but did not completely solve it. Now there are about a dozen no
          connections. Maybe increase the RegEdit entry to 3 minutes?

          Overall I think it's now very workable and need to spend some operating time to
          get a feel. Thanks very much for helping.

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 12, 2008
            On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 12:26:19 -0700, Brooke Clarke wrote:

            >Hi:
            >
            >After explicitly adding Xneu to Windows firewall there were no more timeouts.
            >Perfect operation.
            >
            >BUT, then tried a different web page and now get no connection and when reset
            >entry is used they come out OK. How does no connection differ from timeout?

            Could be that the webserver went down temporarly.

            >On that page, http://www.prc68.com/I/FlashlightPat.shtml, there are many photos
            >but the linked photo has not been uploaded (not enough disk space) so some sort
            >of error is expected. Most show up as object permanently moved, but one showed
            >up as not found. I'm not concerned since it's a 1 in 1000 type of thing.
            >
            >Adding the FailSimilarHosts=0 to Xneu.ini helped the above no connection
            >problem, but did not completely solve it. Now there are about a dozen no
            >connections. Maybe increase the RegEdit entry to 3 minutes?

            Don't bother. Just press CTRL-R when its done, or increase the "retries"
            value in the option window.

            Tilman