Re: Google sitemaps

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 10, 2008
      --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "frank visser" <f.visser3@...>
      wrote:

      > hi tilman,
      >
      > i created a google sitemap of my site www.integralworld.net and noted:
      >
      > 1. external urls are included in this sitemap as well, is this
      > correct? shouldn't it include only urls from the integralworld.net
      > domain?

      When creating sitemaps using Xenu, I'd say the best bet is to create a
      profile that only includes internal URL's. You don't want to be
      including external domains in your sitemap.

      > 2. urls containing an & should be escaped to & to create valid
      > xml. is this something that xenu can/should do as well or should we do
      > this manually?

      Probably something that Xenu *should* do, but then you'll have to ask
      Tilman nicely for this ;)

      I've got a few 'feature requests' I'd like to ask for, but I'm waiting
      for a good day to ask for them. (But then I am a long time user of
      another free Sitemap creation tool whose name I won't repeat here.
      (In fact, in that support group, we often recommend Xenu as a tool to
      verify the site structure BEFORE creating a sitemap).
      I bet Tilman can guess which application it is too ;)

      Chris
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 10, 2008
        On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 22:11:06 -0000, frank visser wrote:

        >hi tilman,
        >
        >i created a google sitemap of my site www.integralworld.net and noted:
        >
        >1. external urls are included in this sitemap as well, is this
        >correct?

        No. I'll investigate this and correct it.

        >2. urls containing an & should be escaped to & to create valid
        >xml. is this something that xenu can/should do as well or should we do
        >this manually?

        Xenu should do it. Do you have an example?

        Tilman

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 11, 2008
          hi tilman,

          1. thanks, glad to be of help.
          2. it wasn't an internal link, but an external link of the type:

          http://wilber.shambhala.com/html/books/boomeritis/wtc/part1.cfm/xid,1
          546927/yid,16750067?CFID=1546927&CFTOKEN=16750067

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 11, 2008
            hi chris,

            good point: i could have unchecked "check external links" before
            running the xenu report on my site.

            then the google sitemap would have included only internal links.

            but tilmann will add a patch for this anyways, as well as for the
            escaping of "&" in the generated xml.

            frank

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 11, 2008
              On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 22:43:43 -0000, Chris wrote:

              >I've got a few 'feature requests' I'd like to ask for, but I'm waiting
              >for a good day to ask for them. (But then I am a long time user of

              There is no such thing as a "good day". Most requests aren't done,
              sadly. Some requests are refused for months and years, and suddenly I
              change my mind without really knowing why (UTF-8, and recently google
              sitemaps).

              Stuff that I don't like to do:
              - pure SEO related requests (e.g. counting keywords etc)
              - complicated features that are hard to understand
              - stuff that would cost many hours of programming so that you save 30sec
              every week

              Stuff that I sometimes do:
              - small improvements that make existing features easier/nicer/more
              powerful/more elegant

              But you should still ask. I also don't mind people mentioning features
              of other software, this is not a "face loss" for me.

              >another free Sitemap creation tool whose name I won't repeat here.
              >(In fact, in that support group, we often recommend Xenu as a tool to
              >verify the site structure BEFORE creating a sitemap).
              >I bet Tilman can guess which application it is too ;)

              No ... tell us :)

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 11, 2008
                New version is here:

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 16, 2008
                  On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 13:38:00 -0000, Kevin & Kathaya wrote:

                  >I do seem to still have one problem with Xenu, I still dont see tips at
                  >startup, all I see is an empty box, this has happened for me since you first
                  >added tips which was some time ago. The first tip is always an empty box,
                  >if I click next then I see a tip. Are there any known problems with tips
                  >being displayed?

                  Check whether the file "tips.txt" does have an empty line at the
                  beginning

                  Check whether your XENU.INI file is larger than 32K

                  Check whether, after you look at an actual tip, the entry with [Tip] in
                  Xenu.ini changes or not.

                  Contact me at tilman AT snafu DOT de if it still doesn't work.

                  Tilman