checking links in javascript

    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 23, 2004
      hi tilman,

      what would it take to let Xenu recognize and scan (some) links
      embedded in javascript?

      i have many links of this type:

      javascript:openJump
      ('/business/enterprise/emea/fra/pdf/TBOwp012601_sum.pdf');

      javascript:openSite('http://mobilizedsoftware.com/enterprise/');
      javascript:openSpecial
      ('http://www.intel.com/ebusiness/notebook/intel_offwar.swf','685','514
      ','auto','no','no','yes','5','5','win');

      javascript:openWin
      ('http://www.intel.com/personal/computing/emea/fra/glossary/index.htm?
      enh_int_spe','540','420','no','no','no','no','200','200','glossary');

      javascript:popup('http://www.altiris.com');

      javascript:popup
      ('ftp://ftp.webseminarslive.com/pub/webseminarslive/12-05-02.pdf');

      so basically:

      javascript:function('URL');

      with some URLs having ?parameters and some having popup size
      parameters. i include the first, but ignore the second.

      even then, these are the steps i have to take:

      - run xenu on the site
      - export the list of URLs to txt
      - import in Excel
      - sort by status
      - select skip type URLs
      - copy to txt
      - run regular expression*
      - fine tune list of URLs
      - run xenu on this list
      - identify broken links
      - locate the source pages of these broken links in the 1st report

      *i use a regular expression now to catch the URL out of this code:
      javascript:*\('(f|h|/)*'* (using Funduc's Search and Replace)

      Xenu now "skips" these javascript links, but apparently is able to
      locate them and give them a "skip type" status in the report.

      What is needed to let Xenu run this regex and check the URL directly?

      i know there are more types of javascript links, i.e. when they are
      present in functions etc. but thats a different story i think.

      when they are coded directly in a href link, it should be possible to
      extract them relatively easily.

      would save me a lot of time! it would also preserve the connection
      with the source page, which is now lost since i am running these
      links in a second report, while the page they originally lived on are
      in the first report.

      let me know what you think.

      Message 35 of 35 , Sep 18, 2010
        Did anyone try to run Xenu with Sandboxie? Does it work? I'm thinking
        about mentioning it on my web page so that paranoid people can use Xenu
        too :)