Re: [xenu-usergroup] Re: Google sitemaps

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
      On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 10:35:59 -0000, Jean-Pierre ESTAS wrote:

      >Hello,
      >
      >I downloaded the version 1.2k beta version but I don't find any
      >Sitmap generator in the "File" menu !
      >Where can I find it exactely ? Or what did I wrong ?

      It is below "Export Page Map". Of course it appears only if you have
      already a window open.

      Tilman

      >Best regards,
      >
      >Jean-Pierre Estas.
      >

      >--- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@...>
      >wrote:
      >>
      >> You may have heard about Google Sitemaps:
      >> https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/
      >> https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/docs/en/protocol.html
      >> http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=34657
      >>
      >> One Xenu user likes it:
      >> http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=17891
      >>
      >> So I made an attempt at creating such a site map. It is in
      >the "File"
      >> menu. Download a new Xenu version here:
      >> http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/xenubeta.zip

    • Jean-Pierre ESTAS
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
        Right ! Thanks a lot.

        Jean-Pierre.

        > On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 10:35:59 -0000, Jean-Pierre ESTAS wrote:
        >
        > >Hello,
        > >
        > >I downloaded the version 1.2k beta version but I don't find any
        > >Sitmap generator in the "File" menu !
        > >Where can I find it exactely ? Or what did I wrong ?
        >
        > It is below "Export Page Map". Of course it appears only if you
        have
        > already a window open.
        >
        > Tilman
        >
        > >Best regards,
        > >
        > >Jean-Pierre Estas.
        > >

        > >--- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@>
        > >wrote:
        > >>
        > >> You may have heard about Google Sitemaps:
        > >> https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/
        > >> https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/docs/en/protocol.html
        > >> http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?
        answer=34657

        > >> One Xenu user likes it:
        > >> http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=17891
        > >>
        > >> So I made an attempt at creating such a site map. It is in
        > >the "File"
        > >> menu. Download a new Xenu version here:
        > >> http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/xenubeta.zip
        > >>
        > >> Tilman
        > >>

        > >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Andy Mabbett
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
          In message <8n7is3ddbrjspaejgn7v61i1hpu3d0u294@...>, Tilman Hausherr
          <tilman@...> writes

          >You may have heard about Google Sitemaps

          >So I made an attempt at creating such a site map.

          Thank you! I joined this list last week, just so that I could ask you to
          do that. You must be telepathic!

          --
          Andy Mabbett
        • Kevin & Kathaya
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
            Looks to work great, saved me some work in the future not having to create sitemaps from scratch.  Xenu just keeps getting better and better!  Well done Tilman :-)

            I do seem to still have one problem with Xenu, I still dont see tips at startup, all I see is an empty box, this has happened for me since you first added tips which was some time ago.  The first tip is always an empty box, if I click next then I see a tip.  Are there any known problems with tips being displayed?

            Many thanks

            Kevin

            !
            >Where can I find it exactely ? Or what did I wrong ?

            It is below "Export Page Map". Of course it appears only if you have
            already a window open.

            Tilman

            >Best regards,
            >
            >Jean-Pierre
            Estas.

            href="mailto:xenu-usergroup%40yahoogroups.com">xenu-usergroup@ yahoogroups. com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@...>

            href="https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/">https://www. google.com/ webmasters/ sitemaps/

            href="http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=17891">http://forums. digitalpoint. com/showthread. php?t=17891

            >> So I made an attempt at creating such a site map. It is in
            >the "File"
            >> menu. Download a new Xenu version
            here:

            href="http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/xenubeta.zip">http://home. snafu.de/ tilman/tmp/ xenubeta. zip

            Checked by AVG.

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 10, 2008
              hi tilman,

              i created a google sitemap of my site www.integralworld.net and noted:

              1. external urls are included in this sitemap as well, is this
              correct? shouldn't it include only urls from the integralworld.net
              domain?

              2. urls containing an & should be escaped to & to create valid
              xml. is this something that xenu can/should do as well or should we do
              this manually?

              thanks,

              > You may have heard about Google Sitemaps:
              > https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/
              > https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/docs/en/protocol.html
              > http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=34657
              >
              > One Xenu user likes it:
              > http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=17891
              >
              > So I made an attempt at creating such a site map. It is in the "File"
              > menu. Download a new Xenu version here:
              > http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/xenubeta.zip
              >
              > Tilman

            • Chris
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 10, 2008
                --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "frank visser" <f.visser3@...>
                wrote:

                > hi tilman,
                >
                > i created a google sitemap of my site www.integralworld.net and noted:
                >
                > 1. external urls are included in this sitemap as well, is this
                > correct? shouldn't it include only urls from the integralworld.net
                > domain?

                When creating sitemaps using Xenu, I'd say the best bet is to create a
                profile that only includes internal URL's. You don't want to be
                including external domains in your sitemap.

                > 2. urls containing an & should be escaped to & to create valid
                > xml. is this something that xenu can/should do as well or should we do
                > this manually?

                Probably something that Xenu *should* do, but then you'll have to ask
                Tilman nicely for this ;)

                I've got a few 'feature requests' I'd like to ask for, but I'm waiting
                for a good day to ask for them. (But then I am a long time user of
                another free Sitemap creation tool whose name I won't repeat here.
                (In fact, in that support group, we often recommend Xenu as a tool to
                verify the site structure BEFORE creating a sitemap).
                I bet Tilman can guess which application it is too ;)

                Chris
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 10, 2008
                  On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 22:11:06 -0000, frank visser wrote:

                  >hi tilman,
                  >
                  >i created a google sitemap of my site www.integralworld.net and noted:
                  >
                  >1. external urls are included in this sitemap as well, is this
                  >correct?

                  No. I'll investigate this and correct it.

                  >2. urls containing an & should be escaped to & to create valid
                  >xml. is this something that xenu can/should do as well or should we do
                  >this manually?

                  Xenu should do it. Do you have an example?

                  Tilman

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 11, 2008
                    hi tilman,

                    1. thanks, glad to be of help.
                    2. it wasn't an internal link, but an external link of the type:

                    http://wilber.shambhala.com/html/books/boomeritis/wtc/part1.cfm/xid,1
                    546927/yid,16750067?CFID=1546927&CFTOKEN=16750067

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 11, 2008
                      hi chris,

                      good point: i could have unchecked "check external links" before
                      running the xenu report on my site.

                      then the google sitemap would have included only internal links.

                      but tilmann will add a patch for this anyways, as well as for the
                      escaping of "&" in the generated xml.

                      frank

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 11, 2008
                        On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 22:43:43 -0000, Chris wrote:

                        >I've got a few 'feature requests' I'd like to ask for, but I'm waiting
                        >for a good day to ask for them. (But then I am a long time user of

                        There is no such thing as a "good day". Most requests aren't done,
                        sadly. Some requests are refused for months and years, and suddenly I
                        change my mind without really knowing why (UTF-8, and recently google
                        sitemaps).

                        Stuff that I don't like to do:
                        - pure SEO related requests (e.g. counting keywords etc)
                        - complicated features that are hard to understand
                        - stuff that would cost many hours of programming so that you save 30sec
                        every week

                        Stuff that I sometimes do:
                        - small improvements that make existing features easier/nicer/more
                        powerful/more elegant

                        But you should still ask. I also don't mind people mentioning features
                        of other software, this is not a "face loss" for me.

                        >another free Sitemap creation tool whose name I won't repeat here.
                        >(In fact, in that support group, we often recommend Xenu as a tool to
                        >verify the site structure BEFORE creating a sitemap).
                        >I bet Tilman can guess which application it is too ;)

                        No ... tell us :)

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 11, 2008
                          New version is here:

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 16, 2008
                            On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 13:38:00 -0000, Kevin & Kathaya wrote:

                            >I do seem to still have one problem with Xenu, I still dont see tips at
                            >startup, all I see is an empty box, this has happened for me since you first
                            >added tips which was some time ago. The first tip is always an empty box,
                            >if I click next then I see a tip. Are there any known problems with tips
                            >being displayed?

                            Check whether the file "tips.txt" does have an empty line at the
                            beginning

                            Check whether your XENU.INI file is larger than 32K

                            Check whether, after you look at an actual tip, the entry with [Tip] in
                            Xenu.ini changes or not.

                            Contact me at tilman AT snafu DOT de if it still doesn't work.

                            Tilman