Finding orphans with http

  • Steve Bottorff
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 24, 2008
      Is it possible to find orphans using http. My ISP only allows http
      access to its personal website server.

      Steve
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 24, 2008
        On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:32:12 -0000, Steve Bottorff wrote:

        >Is it possible to find orphans using http. My ISP only allows http
        >access to its personal website server.

        No. You wouldn't be able to get a standardized directory list with http.

        Tilman

        >Steve
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Steve Bottorff
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 24, 2008

          > No. You wouldn't be able to get a standardized directory list with http.
          >
          > Tilman

          AH, but I can! When I enter the URL
          http://publish.ameritech.net/pubsys.cgi?uploadList
          then my username and password I get s list like this:

          Upload files
          You currently have 6.43 megabytes (MB) of available disk space

          File Name File Size Upload Date
          00knives.html 8k 01/24/2008
          01.jpg 44k 11/30/2004
          02.jpg 48k 11/30/2004
          04.jpg 48k 11/30/2004
          05.jpg 44k 11/30/2004
          07.jpg 76k 11/30/2004
          12a.jpg 56k 11/30/2004
          13a.jpg 64k 11/30/2004
          14.jpg 68k 11/30/2004
          16c.jpg 44k 11/30/2004
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 24, 2008
            That is why I said "standardized", because I expected your answer :)
            Yes, such ISPs do have WWW based dirlists. But each ISP has a different
            type of login.

            Tilman

            On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 17:42:46 -0000, Steve Bottorff wrote:

            >--- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> No. You wouldn't be able to get a standardized directory list with http.
            >>
            >> Tilman
            >>

            >AH, but I can! When I enter the URL
            >http://publish.ameritech.net/pubsys.cgi?uploadList
            >then my username and password I get s list like this:
            >
            >Upload files
            >You currently have 6.43 megabytes (MB) of available disk space
            >
            > File Name File Size Upload Date
            > 00knives.html 8k 01/24/2008
            > 01.jpg 44k 11/30/2004
            > 02.jpg 48k 11/30/2004
            > 04.jpg 48k 11/30/2004
            > 05.jpg 44k 11/30/2004
            > 07.jpg 76k 11/30/2004
            > 12a.jpg 56k 11/30/2004
            > 13a.jpg 64k 11/30/2004
            > 14.jpg 68k 11/30/2004
            > 16c.jpg 44k 11/30/2004
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Steve B.
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 24, 2008
              If I downloaded the list and "standardized" it myself, could Xenu check
              it against my links to find any orphans?

              Or could I upload the list to an FTP server and have Xenu check it there?

              --
              Sharpening Made Easy: A Primer on Sharpening Knives and Other Edged
              Tools by Steve Bottorff
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 24, 2008
                On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:42:35 -0500, Steve B. wrote:

                >If I downloaded the list and "standardized" it myself, could Xenu check
                >it against my links to find any orphans?

                No, since there could be subdirectories. It isn't so easy.

                You could as well ask me to please make it possible to have your BMW car
                run with a Mercedes engine.

                >Or could I upload the list to an FTP server and have Xenu check it there?

                Well, you could upload all your files to an ftp server, of course in the
                same subdirectory tree structure. That would work too.

                Tilman
              • Steve B.
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 24, 2008
                  It was only about 80 pages so I just went through them by hand.

                  Thanks,
                  Steve