Re: [xenu-usergroup] Xenu will be confused by encrypted eMail-addresses

  • Rick Beton
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 28, 2007
      Not sure I'd lay claim to being an HTML expert, but you do need a semicolon at the end of every '&...;' entity sequence.

      As it happens, Internet Explorer seems to tolerate incorrectly-formed entities, but other browsers like Firefox respect the standard and detect the error, so such malformed entities fail to appear correctly.

      For reference, the XML normative definition of entity references is here:
          http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/#sec-references
      The important statement is
      [ Definition: References to parsed general entities use ampersand (&) and semicolon (; ) as delimiters.]

      Rick
      --
      Big Bee Consultants Limited : Registered in England & Wales No. 6397941
      Registered Office: 71 The Hundred, Romsey, Hampshire, SO51 8BZ
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 29, 2007
        Get the new version (that "decodes" these mailto URLs) here:

        Btw, I don't think this is great help against spambots. If I can decode
        it, so can they. The best solution for this is either to use the mail as
        graphic only, or to have a good junk filter, or to use a form-based
        mail.

        Tilman

        On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:31:21 +0100, Tilman Hausherr wrote:

        >I see what you mean, you want me to decode these. I tried a change,
        >which almost worked. But this page
        >http://www.friedrichsdorf.de/impressum.php
        >
        >is delivering two different contents:
        >
        >sometimes with the text
        >href="mailto:Stadt
        >sometimes with the text
        >href="mailto:%53%74%61%64%74%76%65%72%
        >
        >The first one is incorrect, the second one not. The trouble seems to be
        >that the ";" is missing after "S". (Can any HTML expert confirm
        >this?)
        >
        >Tilman
        >

        >On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 07:25:40 -0000, wpemit wrote:
        >
        >>On www.friedrichsdorf.de each emailaddress will be encrypted.
        >>Either using html-encryption like m for a small 'm' or hexadecimal
        >>%68 for a little ""h".
        >>Both encryption-algorithm cause standard-browsers to open your email-
        >>client an parse the true email-address, unencrypted to it.
        >>Unk´likely som bots - XENU as well will not be able to ignore these
        >>links whill will always start with "m" on www.friedrichsdorf.de
        >>xenu tries about 175 times to resolve "mailto:&" it will cause no error
        >>because mailto:-linkss will be skipped but it is resloved wrong.
        >>Other search-engines like litefinder try to follow these links.
        >>
        >>have a nice x-mas season
        >>Wolfgang
        >>

        >>Yahoo! Groups Links
        >>

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • wpemit
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 14, 2007
          --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Beton" <rick.beton@...>
          wrote:

          > Not sure I'd lay claim to being an HTML expert, but you do need a
          semicolon
          > at the end of every '&...;' entity sequence.
          >
          > As it happens, Internet Explorer seems to tolerate incorrectly-
          formed
          > entities, but other browsers like Firefox respect the standard and
          detect
          > the error, so such malformed entities fail to appear correctly.
          >
          > For reference, the XML normative definition of entity references is
          here:
          > http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/#sec-references
          > The important statement is
          > [Definition: References to parsed general entities use ampersand
          (&) and
          > semicolon (;) as delimiters.]
          >
          > Rick
          > --
          > Big Bee Consultants Limited : Registered in England & Wales No.
          6397941
          > Registered Office: 71 The Hundred, Romsey, Hampshire, SO51 8BZ

          My problem discussed in this thread was similar.
          Reaction of tested browsers (IE, Firefox, Opera) was correct (they
          opened my eMail-Links and showed the correct eMail-addres i tried
          Outlook and thunderbird as eMail-Client) but first when i completed
          each sign with semikolon, robots returned the correct result.

          X-Mas greetings
          Wolfgang
        • wpemit
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 14, 2007
            --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "wpemit" <w.peters@...> wrote:

            > --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Beton" <rick.beton@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Not sure I'd lay claim to being an HTML expert, but you do need a
            > semicolon
            > > at the end of every '&...;' entity sequence.
            > >
            > > As it happens, Internet Explorer seems to tolerate incorrectly-
            > formed
            > > entities, but other browsers like Firefox respect the standard
            and
            > detect
            > > the error, so such malformed entities fail to appear correctly.
            > >
            > > For reference, the XML normative definition of entity references
            is
            > here:
            > > http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/#sec-references
            > > The important statement is
            > > [Definition: References to parsed general entities use ampersand
            > (&) and
            > > semicolon (;) as delimiters.]
            > >
            > > Rick
            > > --
            > > Big Bee Consultants Limited : Registered in England & Wales No.
            > 6397941
            > > Registered Office: 71 The Hundred, Romsey, Hampshire, SO51 8BZ
            > >
            > My problem discussed in this thread was similar.
            > Reaction of tested browsers (IE, Firefox, Opera) was correct (they
            > opened my eMail-Links and showed the correct eMail-addres i tried
            > Outlook and thunderbird as eMail-Client) but first when i completed
            > each sign with semikolon, robots returned the correct result.
            >
            > X-Mas greetings
            > Wolfgang

            Sorry, i didn´t read your post totally, you don´t have a problem you
            do have a solution.