Re: [xenu-usergroup] Xenu will be confused by encrypted eMail-addresses

  • Rick Beton
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 28 12:43 PM
      Not sure I'd lay claim to being an HTML expert, but you do need a semicolon at the end of every '&...;' entity sequence.

      As it happens, Internet Explorer seems to tolerate incorrectly-formed entities, but other browsers like Firefox respect the standard and detect the error, so such malformed entities fail to appear correctly.

      For reference, the XML normative definition of entity references is here:
          http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/#sec-references
      The important statement is
      [ Definition: References to parsed general entities use ampersand (&) and semicolon (; ) as delimiters.]

      Rick
      --
      Big Bee Consultants Limited : Registered in England & Wales No. 6397941
      Registered Office: 71 The Hundred, Romsey, Hampshire, SO51 8BZ
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 29 12:59 AM
        It's hard to stop those spambots.

        I found a script that helped. Only a bit, I am convinced some spammers have
        decrypted it (based on the crap I get to the address compared to many
        others).

        But combined with your encoding, it might add another level of protection.

        Not really a xenu issue, but FYI:

        user = "warrenvo";
        site = "pacbell.net";
        subject = "SoccerAudio Feedback";

        document.write('<a href=\"mailto:' + user + '@' + site + '?subject=' +
        subject + '\">');

        </script>

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 29 1:01 AM
          Warren Van Orden wrote:
          > It's hard to stop those spambots.

          That's why I wrote the Apache plug-in "mod_spambot".

          -Nigel

          --
          Nigel Horne. Adjudicator, Arranger, Band Trainer, Conductor, Composer, Tutor.
          NJH Music, Barnsley, UK. ICQ#20252325
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 29 1:05 AM
            --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Warren Van Orden"
            <warrenvo@...> wrote:

            > It's hard to stop those spambots.
            >
            > I found a script that helped. Only a bit, I am convinced some
            spammers have
            > decrypted it (based on the crap I get to the address compared to
            many
            > others).
            >
            > But combined with your encoding, it might add another level of
            protection.

            > Not really a xenu issue, but FYI:

            > user = "warrenvo";
            > site = "pacbell.net";
            > subject = "SoccerAudio Feedback";
            >

            > document.write('<a href=\"mailto:' + user + '@' + site + '?
            subject=' +
            > subject + '\">');
            >
            > </script>

            Thx for your Idea.
            But decrypting eMail-Addresses using Javascript does not correspond
            to requirement of "Borderfree Internet" (in german Barrierefreie
            Websites). This is an official website of a german township. They are
            pleased to have a broderfree-website (in context of human handicaps).
            Next escalation step will be to hide eMail-Addresses totally and
            replace their appearing by a link to a standarded eMail-Formula.

            Greeting from foggy Taunus(germany, near Frankfurt)
            Wolfgang
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 29 11:03 AM
              Get the new version (that "decodes" these mailto URLs) here:

              Btw, I don't think this is great help against spambots. If I can decode
              it, so can they. The best solution for this is either to use the mail as
              graphic only, or to have a good junk filter, or to use a form-based
              mail.

              Tilman

              On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:31:21 +0100, Tilman Hausherr wrote:

              >I see what you mean, you want me to decode these. I tried a change,
              >which almost worked. But this page
              >http://www.friedrichsdorf.de/impressum.php
              >
              >is delivering two different contents:
              >
              >sometimes with the text
              >href="mailto:Stadt
              >sometimes with the text
              >href="mailto:%53%74%61%64%74%76%65%72%
              >
              >The first one is incorrect, the second one not. The trouble seems to be
              >that the ";" is missing after "S". (Can any HTML expert confirm
              >this?)
              >
              >Tilman
              >

              >On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 07:25:40 -0000, wpemit wrote:
              >
              >>On www.friedrichsdorf.de each emailaddress will be encrypted.
              >>Either using html-encryption like m for a small 'm' or hexadecimal
              >>%68 for a little ""h".
              >>Both encryption-algorithm cause standard-browsers to open your email-
              >>client an parse the true email-address, unencrypted to it.
              >>Unk´likely som bots - XENU as well will not be able to ignore these
              >>links whill will always start with "m" on www.friedrichsdorf.de
              >>xenu tries about 175 times to resolve "mailto:&" it will cause no error
              >>because mailto:-linkss will be skipped but it is resloved wrong.
              >>Other search-engines like litefinder try to follow these links.
              >>
              >>have a nice x-mas season
              >>Wolfgang
              >>

              >>Yahoo! Groups Links
              >>

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • wpemit
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 14, 2007
                --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Beton" <rick.beton@...>
                wrote:

                > Not sure I'd lay claim to being an HTML expert, but you do need a
                semicolon
                > at the end of every '&...;' entity sequence.
                >
                > As it happens, Internet Explorer seems to tolerate incorrectly-
                formed
                > entities, but other browsers like Firefox respect the standard and
                detect
                > the error, so such malformed entities fail to appear correctly.
                >
                > For reference, the XML normative definition of entity references is
                here:
                > http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/#sec-references
                > The important statement is
                > [Definition: References to parsed general entities use ampersand
                (&) and
                > semicolon (;) as delimiters.]
                >
                > Rick
                > --
                > Big Bee Consultants Limited : Registered in England & Wales No.
                6397941
                > Registered Office: 71 The Hundred, Romsey, Hampshire, SO51 8BZ

                My problem discussed in this thread was similar.
                Reaction of tested browsers (IE, Firefox, Opera) was correct (they
                opened my eMail-Links and showed the correct eMail-addres i tried
                Outlook and thunderbird as eMail-Client) but first when i completed
                each sign with semikolon, robots returned the correct result.

                X-Mas greetings
                Wolfgang
              • wpemit
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 14, 2007
                  --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "wpemit" <w.peters@...> wrote:

                  > --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Beton" <rick.beton@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Not sure I'd lay claim to being an HTML expert, but you do need a
                  > semicolon
                  > > at the end of every '&...;' entity sequence.
                  > >
                  > > As it happens, Internet Explorer seems to tolerate incorrectly-
                  > formed
                  > > entities, but other browsers like Firefox respect the standard
                  and
                  > detect
                  > > the error, so such malformed entities fail to appear correctly.
                  > >
                  > > For reference, the XML normative definition of entity references
                  is
                  > here:
                  > > http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/#sec-references
                  > > The important statement is
                  > > [Definition: References to parsed general entities use ampersand
                  > (&) and
                  > > semicolon (;) as delimiters.]
                  > >
                  > > Rick
                  > > --
                  > > Big Bee Consultants Limited : Registered in England & Wales No.
                  > 6397941
                  > > Registered Office: 71 The Hundred, Romsey, Hampshire, SO51 8BZ
                  > >
                  > My problem discussed in this thread was similar.
                  > Reaction of tested browsers (IE, Firefox, Opera) was correct (they
                  > opened my eMail-Links and showed the correct eMail-addres i tried
                  > Outlook and thunderbird as eMail-Client) but first when i completed
                  > each sign with semikolon, robots returned the correct result.
                  >
                  > X-Mas greetings
                  > Wolfgang

                  Sorry, i didn´t read your post totally, you don´t have a problem you
                  do have a solution.