Re: [xenu-usergroup] Xenu will be confused by encrypted eMail-addresses

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 28, 2007
      I see what you mean, you want me to decode these. I tried a change,
      which almost worked. But this page
      http://www.friedrichsdorf.de/impressum.php

      is delivering two different contents:

      sometimes with the text
      href="mailto:Stadt
      sometimes with the text
      href="mailto:%53%74%61%64%74%76%65%72%

      The first one is incorrect, the second one not. The trouble seems to be
      that the ";" is missing after "S". (Can any HTML expert confirm
      this?)

      Tilman

      On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 07:25:40 -0000, wpemit wrote:

      >On www.friedrichsdorf.de each emailaddress will be encrypted.
      >Either using html-encryption like m for a small 'm' or hexadecimal
      >%68 for a little ""h".
      >Both encryption-algorithm cause standard-browsers to open your email-
      >client an parse the true email-address, unencrypted to it.
      >Unk´likely som bots - XENU as well will not be able to ignore these
      >links whill will always start with "m" on www.friedrichsdorf.de
      >xenu tries about 175 times to resolve "mailto:&" it will cause no error
      >because mailto:-linkss will be skipped but it is resloved wrong.
      >Other search-engines like litefinder try to follow these links.
      >
      >have a nice x-mas season
      >Wolfgang
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Rick Beton
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 28, 2007
        Not sure I'd lay claim to being an HTML expert, but you do need a semicolon at the end of every '&...;' entity sequence.

        As it happens, Internet Explorer seems to tolerate incorrectly-formed entities, but other browsers like Firefox respect the standard and detect the error, so such malformed entities fail to appear correctly.

        For reference, the XML normative definition of entity references is here:
            http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/#sec-references
        The important statement is
        [ Definition: References to parsed general entities use ampersand (&) and semicolon (; ) as delimiters.]

        Rick
        --
        Big Bee Consultants Limited : Registered in England & Wales No. 6397941
        Registered Office: 71 The Hundred, Romsey, Hampshire, SO51 8BZ
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 28, 2007

          > I see what you mean, you want me to decode these. I tried a change,
          > which almost worked. But this page
          > http://www.friedrichsdorf.de/impressum.php
          >
          > is delivering two different contents:
          >
          > sometimes with the text

          href="mailto:Stad&#
          116
          > sometimes with the text
          > href="mailto:%53%74%61%64%74%76%
          65%72%

          > The first one is incorrect, the second one not. The trouble seems
          to be
          > that the ";" is missing after "S". (Can any HTML expert confirm
          > this?)
          >
          > Tilman

          You are right. I missed the semicolon after each sign.
          But this fact had unlikely no effect on behaviour of 'normal'
          Browsers. So tehy didn´t show me an error.
          I corrected my encryption-syntax and now XENU deosn´t show this
          mailto:& anymore. It was XENU what was correct, not my stuff.
          My script delivers two different contents because we try to confuse
          Spam-Bots a little bit.

          Thx.
          Wolfgang
        • Warren Van Orden
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 29, 2007
            It's hard to stop those spambots.

            I found a script that helped. Only a bit, I am convinced some spammers have
            decrypted it (based on the crap I get to the address compared to many
            others).

            But combined with your encoding, it might add another level of protection.

            Not really a xenu issue, but FYI:

            user = "warrenvo";
            site = "pacbell.net";
            subject = "SoccerAudio Feedback";

            document.write('<a href=\"mailto:' + user + '@' + site + '?subject=' +
            subject + '\">');

            </script>

            > I see what you mean, you want me to decode these. I tried a change,
            > which almost worked. But this page
            > http://www.friedrichsdorf.de/impressum.php
            >
            > is delivering two different contents:
            >
            > sometimes with the text

            href="mailto:Stad&#
            116
            > sometimes with the text
            > href="mailto:%53%74%61%64%74%76%
            65%72%

            > The first one is incorrect, the second one not. The trouble seems
            to be
            > that the ";" is missing after "S". (Can any HTML expert confirm
            > this?)
            >
            > Tilman

            You are right. I missed the semicolon after each sign.
            But this fact had unlikely no effect on behaviour of 'normal'
            Browsers. So tehy didn´t show me an error.
            I corrected my encryption-syntax and now XENU deosn´t show this
            mailto:& anymore. It was XENU what was correct, not my stuff.
            My script delivers two different contents because we try to confuse
            Spam-Bots a little bit.

            Thx.
            Wolfgang

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Nigel Horne
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 29, 2007
              Warren Van Orden wrote:
              > It's hard to stop those spambots.

              That's why I wrote the Apache plug-in "mod_spambot".

              -Nigel

              --
              Nigel Horne. Adjudicator, Arranger, Band Trainer, Conductor, Composer, Tutor.
              NJH Music, Barnsley, UK. ICQ#20252325
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 29, 2007
                --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Warren Van Orden"
                <warrenvo@...> wrote:

                > It's hard to stop those spambots.
                >
                > I found a script that helped. Only a bit, I am convinced some
                spammers have
                > decrypted it (based on the crap I get to the address compared to
                many
                > others).
                >
                > But combined with your encoding, it might add another level of
                protection.

                > Not really a xenu issue, but FYI:

                > user = "warrenvo";
                > site = "pacbell.net";
                > subject = "SoccerAudio Feedback";
                >

                > document.write('<a href=\"mailto:' + user + '@' + site + '?
                subject=' +
                > subject + '\">');
                >
                > </script>

                Thx for your Idea.
                But decrypting eMail-Addresses using Javascript does not correspond
                to requirement of "Borderfree Internet" (in german Barrierefreie
                Websites). This is an official website of a german township. They are
                pleased to have a broderfree-website (in context of human handicaps).
                Next escalation step will be to hide eMail-Addresses totally and
                replace their appearing by a link to a standarded eMail-Formula.

                Greeting from foggy Taunus(germany, near Frankfurt)
                Wolfgang
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 29, 2007
                  Get the new version (that "decodes" these mailto URLs) here:

                  Btw, I don't think this is great help against spambots. If I can decode
                  it, so can they. The best solution for this is either to use the mail as
                  graphic only, or to have a good junk filter, or to use a form-based
                  mail.

                  Tilman

                  On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:31:21 +0100, Tilman Hausherr wrote:

                  >I see what you mean, you want me to decode these. I tried a change,
                  >which almost worked. But this page
                  >http://www.friedrichsdorf.de/impressum.php
                  >
                  >is delivering two different contents:
                  >
                  >sometimes with the text
                  >href="mailto:Stadt
                  >sometimes with the text
                  >href="mailto:%53%74%61%64%74%76%65%72%
                  >
                  >The first one is incorrect, the second one not. The trouble seems to be
                  >that the ";" is missing after "S". (Can any HTML expert confirm
                  >this?)
                  >
                  >Tilman
                  >

                  >On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 07:25:40 -0000, wpemit wrote:
                  >
                  >>On www.friedrichsdorf.de each emailaddress will be encrypted.
                  >>Either using html-encryption like m for a small 'm' or hexadecimal
                  >>%68 for a little ""h".
                  >>Both encryption-algorithm cause standard-browsers to open your email-
                  >>client an parse the true email-address, unencrypted to it.
                  >>Unk´likely som bots - XENU as well will not be able to ignore these
                  >>links whill will always start with "m" on www.friedrichsdorf.de
                  >>xenu tries about 175 times to resolve "mailto:&" it will cause no error
                  >>because mailto:-linkss will be skipped but it is resloved wrong.
                  >>Other search-engines like litefinder try to follow these links.
                  >>
                  >>have a nice x-mas season
                  >>Wolfgang
                  >>

                  >>Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >>

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • wpemit
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 14, 2007
                    --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Beton" <rick.beton@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Not sure I'd lay claim to being an HTML expert, but you do need a
                    semicolon
                    > at the end of every '&...;' entity sequence.
                    >
                    > As it happens, Internet Explorer seems to tolerate incorrectly-
                    formed
                    > entities, but other browsers like Firefox respect the standard and
                    detect
                    > the error, so such malformed entities fail to appear correctly.
                    >
                    > For reference, the XML normative definition of entity references is
                    here:
                    > http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/#sec-references
                    > The important statement is
                    > [Definition: References to parsed general entities use ampersand
                    (&) and
                    > semicolon (;) as delimiters.]
                    >
                    > Rick
                    > --
                    > Big Bee Consultants Limited : Registered in England & Wales No.
                    6397941
                    > Registered Office: 71 The Hundred, Romsey, Hampshire, SO51 8BZ

                    My problem discussed in this thread was similar.
                    Reaction of tested browsers (IE, Firefox, Opera) was correct (they
                    opened my eMail-Links and showed the correct eMail-addres i tried
                    Outlook and thunderbird as eMail-Client) but first when i completed
                    each sign with semikolon, robots returned the correct result.

                    X-Mas greetings
                    Wolfgang
                  • wpemit
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 14, 2007
                      --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "wpemit" <w.peters@...> wrote:

                      > --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Beton" <rick.beton@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Not sure I'd lay claim to being an HTML expert, but you do need a
                      > semicolon
                      > > at the end of every '&...;' entity sequence.
                      > >
                      > > As it happens, Internet Explorer seems to tolerate incorrectly-
                      > formed
                      > > entities, but other browsers like Firefox respect the standard
                      and
                      > detect
                      > > the error, so such malformed entities fail to appear correctly.
                      > >
                      > > For reference, the XML normative definition of entity references
                      is
                      > here:
                      > > http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/#sec-references
                      > > The important statement is
                      > > [Definition: References to parsed general entities use ampersand
                      > (&) and
                      > > semicolon (;) as delimiters.]
                      > >
                      > > Rick
                      > > --
                      > > Big Bee Consultants Limited : Registered in England & Wales No.
                      > 6397941
                      > > Registered Office: 71 The Hundred, Romsey, Hampshire, SO51 8BZ
                      > >
                      > My problem discussed in this thread was similar.
                      > Reaction of tested browsers (IE, Firefox, Opera) was correct (they
                      > opened my eMail-Links and showed the correct eMail-addres i tried
                      > Outlook and thunderbird as eMail-Client) but first when i completed
                      > each sign with semikolon, robots returned the correct result.
                      >
                      > X-Mas greetings
                      > Wolfgang

                      Sorry, i didn´t read your post totally, you don´t have a problem you
                      do have a solution.