Xenu will be confused by encrypted eMail-addresses

  • wpemit
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 27, 2007
      On www.friedrichsdorf.de each emailaddress will be encrypted.
      Either using html-encryption like m for a small 'm' or hexadecimal
      %68 for a little ""h".
      Both encryption-algorithm cause standard-browsers to open your email-
      client an parse the true email-address, unencrypted to it.
      Unk´likely som bots - XENU as well will not be able to ignore these
      links whill will always start with "m" on www.friedrichsdorf.de
      xenu tries about 175 times to resolve "mailto:&" it will cause no error
      because mailto:-linkss will be skipped but it is resloved wrong.
      Other search-engines like litefinder try to follow these links.

      have a nice x-mas season
      Wolfgang
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 28, 2007
        I see what you mean, you want me to decode these. I tried a change,
        which almost worked. But this page
        http://www.friedrichsdorf.de/impressum.php

        is delivering two different contents:

        sometimes with the text
        href="mailto:Stadt
        sometimes with the text
        href="mailto:%53%74%61%64%74%76%65%72%

        The first one is incorrect, the second one not. The trouble seems to be
        that the ";" is missing after "S". (Can any HTML expert confirm
        this?)

        Tilman

        On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 07:25:40 -0000, wpemit wrote:

        >On www.friedrichsdorf.de each emailaddress will be encrypted.
        >Either using html-encryption like m for a small 'm' or hexadecimal
        >%68 for a little ""h".
        >Both encryption-algorithm cause standard-browsers to open your email-
        >client an parse the true email-address, unencrypted to it.
        >Unk´likely som bots - XENU as well will not be able to ignore these
        >links whill will always start with "m" on www.friedrichsdorf.de
        >xenu tries about 175 times to resolve "mailto:&" it will cause no error
        >because mailto:-linkss will be skipped but it is resloved wrong.
        >Other search-engines like litefinder try to follow these links.
        >
        >have a nice x-mas season
        >Wolfgang
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Rick Beton
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 28, 2007
          Not sure I'd lay claim to being an HTML expert, but you do need a semicolon at the end of every '&...;' entity sequence.

          As it happens, Internet Explorer seems to tolerate incorrectly-formed entities, but other browsers like Firefox respect the standard and detect the error, so such malformed entities fail to appear correctly.

          For reference, the XML normative definition of entity references is here:
              http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/#sec-references
          The important statement is
          [ Definition: References to parsed general entities use ampersand (&) and semicolon (; ) as delimiters.]

          Rick
          --
          Big Bee Consultants Limited : Registered in England & Wales No. 6397941
          Registered Office: 71 The Hundred, Romsey, Hampshire, SO51 8BZ
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 28, 2007

            > I see what you mean, you want me to decode these. I tried a change,
            > which almost worked. But this page
            > http://www.friedrichsdorf.de/impressum.php
            >
            > is delivering two different contents:
            >
            > sometimes with the text

            href="mailto:Stad&#
            116
            > sometimes with the text
            > href="mailto:%53%74%61%64%74%76%
            65%72%

            > The first one is incorrect, the second one not. The trouble seems
            to be
            > that the ";" is missing after "S". (Can any HTML expert confirm
            > this?)
            >
            > Tilman

            You are right. I missed the semicolon after each sign.
            But this fact had unlikely no effect on behaviour of 'normal'
            Browsers. So tehy didn´t show me an error.
            I corrected my encryption-syntax and now XENU deosn´t show this
            mailto:& anymore. It was XENU what was correct, not my stuff.
            My script delivers two different contents because we try to confuse
            Spam-Bots a little bit.

            Thx.
            Wolfgang
          • Warren Van Orden
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 29, 2007
              It's hard to stop those spambots.

              I found a script that helped. Only a bit, I am convinced some spammers have
              decrypted it (based on the crap I get to the address compared to many
              others).

              But combined with your encoding, it might add another level of protection.

              Not really a xenu issue, but FYI:

              user = "warrenvo";
              site = "pacbell.net";
              subject = "SoccerAudio Feedback";

              document.write('<a href=\"mailto:' + user + '@' + site + '?subject=' +
              subject + '\">');

              </script>

              > I see what you mean, you want me to decode these. I tried a change,
              > which almost worked. But this page
              > http://www.friedrichsdorf.de/impressum.php
              >
              > is delivering two different contents:
              >
              > sometimes with the text

              href="mailto:Stad&#
              116
              > sometimes with the text
              > href="mailto:%53%74%61%64%74%76%
              65%72%

              > The first one is incorrect, the second one not. The trouble seems
              to be
              > that the ";" is missing after "S". (Can any HTML expert confirm
              > this?)
              >
              > Tilman

              You are right. I missed the semicolon after each sign.
              But this fact had unlikely no effect on behaviour of 'normal'
              Browsers. So tehy didn´t show me an error.
              I corrected my encryption-syntax and now XENU deosn´t show this
              mailto:& anymore. It was XENU what was correct, not my stuff.
              My script delivers two different contents because we try to confuse
              Spam-Bots a little bit.

              Thx.
              Wolfgang

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Nigel Horne
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 29, 2007
                Warren Van Orden wrote:
                > It's hard to stop those spambots.

                That's why I wrote the Apache plug-in "mod_spambot".

                -Nigel

                --
                Nigel Horne. Adjudicator, Arranger, Band Trainer, Conductor, Composer, Tutor.
                NJH Music, Barnsley, UK. ICQ#20252325
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 29, 2007
                  --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Warren Van Orden"
                  <warrenvo@...> wrote:

                  > It's hard to stop those spambots.
                  >
                  > I found a script that helped. Only a bit, I am convinced some
                  spammers have
                  > decrypted it (based on the crap I get to the address compared to
                  many
                  > others).
                  >
                  > But combined with your encoding, it might add another level of
                  protection.

                  > Not really a xenu issue, but FYI:

                  > user = "warrenvo";
                  > site = "pacbell.net";
                  > subject = "SoccerAudio Feedback";
                  >

                  > document.write('<a href=\"mailto:' + user + '@' + site + '?
                  subject=' +
                  > subject + '\">');
                  >
                  > </script>

                  Thx for your Idea.
                  But decrypting eMail-Addresses using Javascript does not correspond
                  to requirement of "Borderfree Internet" (in german Barrierefreie
                  Websites). This is an official website of a german township. They are
                  pleased to have a broderfree-website (in context of human handicaps).
                  Next escalation step will be to hide eMail-Addresses totally and
                  replace their appearing by a link to a standarded eMail-Formula.

                  Greeting from foggy Taunus(germany, near Frankfurt)
                  Wolfgang
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 29, 2007
                    Get the new version (that "decodes" these mailto URLs) here:

                    Btw, I don't think this is great help against spambots. If I can decode
                    it, so can they. The best solution for this is either to use the mail as
                    graphic only, or to have a good junk filter, or to use a form-based
                    mail.

                    Tilman

                    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:31:21 +0100, Tilman Hausherr wrote:

                    >I see what you mean, you want me to decode these. I tried a change,
                    >which almost worked. But this page
                    >http://www.friedrichsdorf.de/impressum.php
                    >
                    >is delivering two different contents:
                    >
                    >sometimes with the text
                    >href="mailto:Stadt
                    >sometimes with the text
                    >href="mailto:%53%74%61%64%74%76%65%72%
                    >
                    >The first one is incorrect, the second one not. The trouble seems to be
                    >that the ";" is missing after "S". (Can any HTML expert confirm
                    >this?)
                    >
                    >Tilman
                    >

                    >On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 07:25:40 -0000, wpemit wrote:
                    >
                    >>On www.friedrichsdorf.de each emailaddress will be encrypted.
                    >>Either using html-encryption like m for a small 'm' or hexadecimal
                    >>%68 for a little ""h".
                    >>Both encryption-algorithm cause standard-browsers to open your email-
                    >>client an parse the true email-address, unencrypted to it.
                    >>Unk´likely som bots - XENU as well will not be able to ignore these
                    >>links whill will always start with "m" on www.friedrichsdorf.de
                    >>xenu tries about 175 times to resolve "mailto:&" it will cause no error
                    >>because mailto:-linkss will be skipped but it is resloved wrong.
                    >>Other search-engines like litefinder try to follow these links.
                    >>
                    >>have a nice x-mas season
                    >>Wolfgang
                    >>

                    >>Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >>

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • wpemit
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 14, 2007
                      --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Beton" <rick.beton@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Not sure I'd lay claim to being an HTML expert, but you do need a
                      semicolon
                      > at the end of every '&...;' entity sequence.
                      >
                      > As it happens, Internet Explorer seems to tolerate incorrectly-
                      formed
                      > entities, but other browsers like Firefox respect the standard and
                      detect
                      > the error, so such malformed entities fail to appear correctly.
                      >
                      > For reference, the XML normative definition of entity references is
                      here:
                      > http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/#sec-references
                      > The important statement is
                      > [Definition: References to parsed general entities use ampersand
                      (&) and
                      > semicolon (;) as delimiters.]
                      >
                      > Rick
                      > --
                      > Big Bee Consultants Limited : Registered in England & Wales No.
                      6397941
                      > Registered Office: 71 The Hundred, Romsey, Hampshire, SO51 8BZ

                      My problem discussed in this thread was similar.
                      Reaction of tested browsers (IE, Firefox, Opera) was correct (they
                      opened my eMail-Links and showed the correct eMail-addres i tried
                      Outlook and thunderbird as eMail-Client) but first when i completed
                      each sign with semikolon, robots returned the correct result.

                      X-Mas greetings
                      Wolfgang
                    • wpemit
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 14, 2007
                        --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "wpemit" <w.peters@...> wrote:

                        > --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Beton" <rick.beton@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Not sure I'd lay claim to being an HTML expert, but you do need a
                        > semicolon
                        > > at the end of every '&...;' entity sequence.
                        > >
                        > > As it happens, Internet Explorer seems to tolerate incorrectly-
                        > formed
                        > > entities, but other browsers like Firefox respect the standard
                        and
                        > detect
                        > > the error, so such malformed entities fail to appear correctly.
                        > >
                        > > For reference, the XML normative definition of entity references
                        is
                        > here:
                        > > http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/#sec-references
                        > > The important statement is
                        > > [Definition: References to parsed general entities use ampersand
                        > (&) and
                        > > semicolon (;) as delimiters.]
                        > >
                        > > Rick
                        > > --
                        > > Big Bee Consultants Limited : Registered in England & Wales No.
                        > 6397941
                        > > Registered Office: 71 The Hundred, Romsey, Hampshire, SO51 8BZ
                        > >
                        > My problem discussed in this thread was similar.
                        > Reaction of tested browsers (IE, Firefox, Opera) was correct (they
                        > opened my eMail-Links and showed the correct eMail-addres i tried
                        > Outlook and thunderbird as eMail-Client) but first when i completed
                        > each sign with semikolon, robots returned the correct result.
                        >
                        > X-Mas greetings
                        > Wolfgang

                        Sorry, i didn´t read your post totally, you don´t have a problem you
                        do have a solution.