403 error (forbidden request)

  • Preston Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 25, 2007
      My Xenu broken-link report has two 403 errors. Here is one:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_programming
      error code: 403 (forbidden request), linked from page(s):
               http://flexibledevelopment.com/flexibility.htm
      Both broken links are to Wikipedia, but Wikipedia tells me that there is nothing "forbidden" about linking to it. The "broken" link works perfectly when copied into my browser.

      Any solution or explanation?
    • AL Guevara
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 25, 2007
        RE: [xenu-usergroup] 403 error (forbidden request)

        403 can happen when you link to a DIR, but not to a file

        http://tinyurl.com/yqeds8

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 25, 2007
          Wikipedia most probably doesn't want Xenu to access its URLs, that is
          the reason.

          Tilman

          On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 16:03:56 -0700, Preston Smith wrote:

          >My Xenu broken-link report has two 403 errors. Here is one:
          >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_programming
          >error code: 403 (forbidden request), linked from page(s):
          > http://flexibledevelopment.com/flexibility.htm
          >Both broken links are to Wikipedia, but Wikipedia tells me that there
          >is nothing "forbidden" about linking to it. The "broken" link works
          >perfectly when copied into my browser.
          >
          >Any solution or explanation?
        • Vince Thacker
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 26, 2007
            to happen with a lot of dynamically updated stuff, such as Google News.
            It's not a big problem. I just don't worry about these sites I know always
            produce a 403.

            Vince.
            seeSm
            > Wikipedia most probably doesn't want Xenu to access its URLs, that is
            > the reason.
            >
            > Tilman
            >
            > On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 16:03:56 -0700, Preston Smith wrote:
            >
            >>My Xenu broken-link report has two 403 errors. Here is one:
            >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_programming
            >>error code: 403 (forbidden request), linked from page(s):
            >> http://flexibledevelopment.com/flexibility.htm
            >>Both broken links are to Wikipedia, but Wikipedia tells me that there
            >>is nothing "forbidden" about linking to it. The "broken" link works
            >>perfectly when copied into my browser.
            >>
            >>Any solution or explanation?
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            > --