Re: [xenu-usergroup] Backslashes in URLs not detected in Xenu

    Message 1 of 3 , May 21, 2007
      On Mon, 21 May 2007 15:10:20 -0000, xamaxdc wrote:

      >is there someway for Xenu to detect a backslash in a URL
      >and mark it as a (possible) broken link ?
      >
      >we discovered on our site a number of links that
      >had backslashes in them http://example.com\xyz\pdq.etc
      >
      >these links work fine in IE, but do not work in other browsers
      >(firefox).
      >
      >Xenu passes over them and is happy.

      Yes, this is true.... probably because I use IE to parse URLs. :-(

      Tilman
    • sgakagiz
      Message 2 of 3 , May 21, 2007
        --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "xamaxdc"
        <MichaelCharbonneau@...> wrote:

        > is there someway for Xenu to detect a backslash in a URL
        > and mark it as a (possible) broken link ?
        Don't know; Tilman needs to answer that one

        > we discovered on our site a number of links that
        > had backslashes in them http://example.com\xyz\pdq.etc
        yep. Those are wrongly formed

        > these links work fine in IE, but do not work in other browsers
        > (firefox).
        >
        > Xenu passes over them and is happy.

        I believe Xenu uses IE's rendering agent, since it can be reliably
        found on a windows installation. This means that Xenu will function
        like IE will. If Tilman could add the option to use the Gecko
        (Firefox, Netscape, etc.) agent, then we'd have better support for
        standards. If he could *embed* it, it would be even better, but I'm
        betting that's a much harder prospect than simply changing a few lines
        of code.

        Stephen