Xenu and click fraud at Google

    Message 1 of 4 , May 16, 2007
      this member asked a question when joining the Xenu user group, but i
      post it here for it is relevant for other members as well. I will also
      (try to) answer the question.

      frank

      Comment from user:
      I am worried that
      checking the links with Xenu might be seen as click fraud by google
      because Xenu presumably checks the google adsense links as well as
      other ones.
      Trevor
      Message 2 of 4 , May 16, 2007
        On Wed, 16 May 2007 18:15:20 -0000, frank visser wrote:

        >this member asked a question when joining the Xenu user group, but i
        >post it here for it is relevant for other members as well. I will also
        >(try to) answer the question.
        >
        >frank
        >
        >Comment from user:
        >I am worried that
        >checking the links with Xenu might be seen as click fraud by google
        >because Xenu presumably checks the google adsense links as well as
        >other ones.

        Xenu always uses the Xenu user agent, so google (if smart enough) will
        know that this isn't a real click.

        Second - aren't google ads part of some javascript or so? I'd like to
        see a page with google ads to see.

        Tilman

        >Trevor
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ignacio Seron Holley
        Message 3 of 4 , May 16, 2007
          I work with Google Adwords   and also with a certification as Google Advertiser I must say that it is not an issue to worry about.

          The  attempts made by automated  robots  are filtered for several reasons. Clicking  the ads in a sequence shows immediately some kind of robot process or "fraud" so are not even counted  by the system.

          Also this article clarify a lot how google wants to tackle down  this issues due to Adwords means the 100% of their income... so they must behave PRO on this or die.

          http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2006/12/google-click-fraud-rate-two-percent.html

          Hope this will help everyone.

          Regards.
          Ignacio.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 16, 2007
            and here's my answer:

            Google Adsense code looks like this:

            <script type="text/javascript"
            src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
            </script>

            so xenu will not even be able to "see" the ads/link genergated by this
            js file.

            you can try it on a page with Adsense ads, the links on those ads will
            not show up in your list of links spidered.

            it does see the js link, though, and gives it an "ok":
            http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js

            so no worries!

            frank

            --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "frank visser" <f.visser3@...>