Re: [xenu-usergroup] Re: Xenu version supporting filename wildcards

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 15, 2007
      Do you need BOTH the wildcard feature, and the "Check URL list" feature?
      If yes, I'll upload the corrected version. This quasi-bug has now been
      fixed.

      Tilman

      ====================

      I see now what happened:

      As I said, the the URLs in "Check URL list" are used as an include list.

      Now remember that in the wildcard version, it is important always to add
      "*" at the beginning and end - unless you "want" this to be the
      beginning or end.

      The root URL in the "Check URL list" version is
      file:///c:/dokumente und einstellungen/......../test.txt

      So only URLs that start with this, or that "match" whats in the wildcard
      list, are internal (and spidered).

      What we learn:
      Don't use use "Check URL list" with the wildcard version.

      Alternatively, I could simply add "*" at the end of every entry for the
      include table when using that feature, and it might work.

      Tilman

    • maizegoblue
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 15, 2007
        Tilman,

        Yes, I would very much like to use both of those features at the same
        time! I check a lot of sites, but there are some URLs that I need to
        exclude using wildcards. Thanks a lot for your hard work!

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 15, 2007
          Get it here:

          http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/xenuwild2.zip

          Tilman

          On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:16:27 -0000, maizegoblue wrote:

          >Tilman,
          >
          >Yes, I would very much like to use both of those features at the same
          >time! I check a lot of sites, but there are some URLs that I need to
          >exclude using wildcards. Thanks a lot for your hard work!
          >
          >--- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Do you need BOTH the wildcard feature, and the "Check URL list" feature?
          >> If yes, I'll upload the corrected version. This quasi-bug has now been
          >> fixed.

        • keethrn
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 15, 2007
            Please, please, please don't delete this feature. I use it a lot in
            addition to Xenu's normal function of checking links on a website.

            I have found it very helpful when I need to generate a list of links
            from a group of specific web pages on a site, but I don't want to
            spider all of the pages. I set the maximum level in options to 1 and
            then create a list of files I'm interested in. When I run Xenu on the
            list of files I get the list of links that I need.

            Thanks for a great program. I have been using it for a number of years
            now. It does exactly what it claims to do, and what I need. I
            appreciate it not having a lot of "bells and whistles" that add
            complexity and overhead with little, if any, benefit.
          • maizegoblue
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 15, 2007
              Tilman,

              Thanks a lot!! That fixed it. It's beautiful now.

              One last question: can I put my "exclusion list" of URLs to not check
              in the .ini file?

              Thanks again.

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 15, 2007
                On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 20:40:47 -0000, maizegoblue wrote:

                >Tilman,
                >
                >Thanks a lot!! That fixed it. It's beautiful now.
                >
                >One last question: can I put my "exclusion list" of URLs to not check
                >in the .ini file?

                It is already done. (Not in the check URL feature) Look into the INI
                file and you'll see it.

                Tilman

                >Thanks again.
                >
                >--- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Get it here:
                >>
                >> http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/xenuwild2.zip
                >>

                >> Tilman
                >>
                >> On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:16:27 -0000, maizegoblue wrote:
                >>
                >> >Tilman,
                >> >
                >> >Yes, I would very much like to use both of those features at the same
                >> >time! I check a lot of sites, but there are some URLs that I need to
                >> >exclude using wildcards. Thanks a lot for your hard work!

                >feature?
                >been

                >> >Yahoo! Groups Links
                >> >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • maizegoblue
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 17, 2007
                  Tilman,

                  Thanks for the explanation. I was under the impression that having the
                  exclusion list in the .ini file meant that this feature could be used
                  in conjunction with "Check URL List." Is there any way those features
                  could work together?

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 17, 2007
                    On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 14:56:47 -0000, maizegoblue wrote:

                    >Tilman,
                    >
                    >Thanks for the explanation. I was under the impression that having the
                    >exclusion list in the .ini file meant that this feature could be used
                    >in conjunction with "Check URL List." Is there any way those features
                    >could work together?

                    No, the "check URL list" was just a quickie job. It doesn't use an extra
                    include/exclude list.

                    Tilman