Re: Xenu version supporting filename wildcards

  • maizegoblue
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 15, 2007
      Tilman,

      This time I put "http://dustyfeet.com" in a text file and got the same
      result: 9 URLs found.

      If I use "Check URL" for "http://dustyfeet.com" I get 178 URLs.

      > On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 03:27:06 -0000, maizegoblue wrote:
      >
      > >Tilman,
      > >
      > >I hope you don't delete the "Check URL list function"--I love it! It
      > >works fine in the release version. It's just not working right in the
      > >beta version.
      >
      > This hasn't changed for years...
      >

      > >If you scan the following site with the beta, then try doing it from a
      > >text file, you should see a big difference.
      > >http://dustyfeet.com/index.html
      > >
      > >If I use "Check URL," Xenu beta finds 178 URLs. If I put that URL in a
      > >file and use "Check URL list," Xenu only finds 9 URLs.
      >
      > Yes - as I said, it will spider only URls that start with
      > "http://dustyfeet.com/index.html".
      >
      > So an URL with "http://dustyfeet.com/toys.html" would not be spidered,
      > it is considered as "external".
      >
      > Solution: put
      >
      > "http://dustyfeet.com" in the txt file instead
      >
      > Tilman
      >

      > >Again, the release version works fine, and I really like this feature.
      > >I would go back to the release version, but I would like to use the
      > >wildcard functionality.
      > >

      > >--- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> The "Check URL list" has many logic problems, i.e. the behaviour
      is hard
      > >> to describe/understand, which is why I hate it. I should delete it.
      > >>
      > >> Check URL list is normally for domains only. It spiders all the URLs,
      > >> but accepts only URLs that start with the ones in the txt file.
      I.e. all
      > >> URls are added to the include list.
      > >>
      > >> The best would be to send me
      > >> 1) the html file
      > >> 2) the txt file
      > >> 3) a few URLs that you claim are not checked with that list feature
      > >>
      > >> Tilman

      > >have the
      > >new name,

      Xenu that

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 15, 2007
        I see now what happened:

        As I said, the the URLs in "Check URL list" are used as an include list.

        Now remember that in the wildcard version, it is important always to add
        "*" at the beginning and end - unless you "want" this to be the
        beginning or end.

        The root URL in the "Check URL list" version is
        file:///c:/dokumente und einstellungen/......../test.txt

        So only URLs that start with this, or that "match" whats in the wildcard
        list, are internal (and spidered).

        What we learn:
        Don't use use "Check URL list" with the wildcard version.

        Alternatively, I could simply add "*" at the end of every entry for the
        include table when using that feature, and it might work.

        Tilman

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 15, 2007
          Do you need BOTH the wildcard feature, and the "Check URL list" feature?
          If yes, I'll upload the corrected version. This quasi-bug has now been
          fixed.

          Tilman

          ====================

        • maizegoblue
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 15, 2007
            Tilman,

            Yes, I would very much like to use both of those features at the same
            time! I check a lot of sites, but there are some URLs that I need to
            exclude using wildcards. Thanks a lot for your hard work!

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 15, 2007
              Get it here:

              http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/xenuwild2.zip

              Tilman

              On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:16:27 -0000, maizegoblue wrote:

              >Tilman,
              >
              >Yes, I would very much like to use both of those features at the same
              >time! I check a lot of sites, but there are some URLs that I need to
              >exclude using wildcards. Thanks a lot for your hard work!
              >
              >--- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Do you need BOTH the wildcard feature, and the "Check URL list" feature?
              >> If yes, I'll upload the corrected version. This quasi-bug has now been
              >> fixed.

            • keethrn
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 15, 2007
                Please, please, please don't delete this feature. I use it a lot in
                addition to Xenu's normal function of checking links on a website.

                I have found it very helpful when I need to generate a list of links
                from a group of specific web pages on a site, but I don't want to
                spider all of the pages. I set the maximum level in options to 1 and
                then create a list of files I'm interested in. When I run Xenu on the
                list of files I get the list of links that I need.

                Thanks for a great program. I have been using it for a number of years
                now. It does exactly what it claims to do, and what I need. I
                appreciate it not having a lot of "bells and whistles" that add
                complexity and overhead with little, if any, benefit.
              • maizegoblue
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 15, 2007
                  Tilman,

                  Thanks a lot!! That fixed it. It's beautiful now.

                  One last question: can I put my "exclusion list" of URLs to not check
                  in the .ini file?

                  Thanks again.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 15, 2007
                    On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 20:40:47 -0000, maizegoblue wrote:

                    >Tilman,
                    >
                    >Thanks a lot!! That fixed it. It's beautiful now.
                    >
                    >One last question: can I put my "exclusion list" of URLs to not check
                    >in the .ini file?

                    It is already done. (Not in the check URL feature) Look into the INI
                    file and you'll see it.

                    Tilman

                    >Thanks again.
                    >
                    >--- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Get it here:
                    >>
                    >> http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/xenuwild2.zip
                    >>

                    >> Tilman
                    >>
                    >> On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:16:27 -0000, maizegoblue wrote:
                    >>
                    >> >Tilman,
                    >> >
                    >> >Yes, I would very much like to use both of those features at the same
                    >> >time! I check a lot of sites, but there are some URLs that I need to
                    >> >exclude using wildcards. Thanks a lot for your hard work!

                    >feature?
                    >been

                    >> >Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >> >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • maizegoblue
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 17, 2007
                      Tilman,

                      Thanks for the explanation. I was under the impression that having the
                      exclusion list in the .ini file meant that this feature could be used
                      in conjunction with "Check URL List." Is there any way those features
                      could work together?

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 17, 2007
                        On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 14:56:47 -0000, maizegoblue wrote:

                        >Tilman,
                        >
                        >Thanks for the explanation. I was under the impression that having the
                        >exclusion list in the .ini file meant that this feature could be used
                        >in conjunction with "Check URL List." Is there any way those features
                        >could work together?

                        No, the "check URL list" was just a quickie job. It doesn't use an extra
                        include/exclude list.

                        Tilman