Re: Xenu version supporting filename wildcards

  • maizegoblue
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 14, 2007
      Thanks a lot, Tilman.

      I have a problem with the new version of Xenu, though. It seems that
      when I check a number of sites (or even just one) using the "Check URL
      list" function, many links do not get checked.

      I uninstalled the old version and installed the version that supports
      wildcards. I did NOT try that feature yet.

      The problem seems to be the way Xenu handles "Check URL list" function
      in the new version. If I check a single site using the "Check URL"
      dialog, I get 75 links checked. If I put that site by itself in a text
      file and use "Check URL list," Xenu only finds 45 links. In the latter
      case, Xenu doesn't check some images that appear even on the home page
      of the site (though it does check some of them). Some external links
      also get skipped, yet some still get checked. Something is not quite
      right with that version. I can't determine a pattern, so I'm not sure
      what is happening.

      Thanks for any insight.

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 14, 2007
        The "Check URL list" has many logic problems, i.e. the behaviour is hard
        to describe/understand, which is why I hate it. I should delete it.

        Check URL list is normally for domains only. It spiders all the URLs,
        but accepts only URLs that start with the ones in the txt file. I.e. all
        URls are added to the include list.

        The best would be to send me
        1) the html file
        2) the txt file
        3) a few URLs that you claim are not checked with that list feature

        Tilman

        On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 20:18:21 -0000, maizegoblue wrote:

        >Thanks a lot, Tilman.
        >
        >I have a problem with the new version of Xenu, though. It seems that
        >when I check a number of sites (or even just one) using the "Check URL
        >list" function, many links do not get checked.
        >
        >I uninstalled the old version and installed the version that supports
        >wildcards. I did NOT try that feature yet.
        >
        >The problem seems to be the way Xenu handles "Check URL list" function
        >in the new version. If I check a single site using the "Check URL"
        >dialog, I get 75 links checked. If I put that site by itself in a text
        >file and use "Check URL list," Xenu only finds 45 links. In the latter
        >case, Xenu doesn't check some images that appear even on the home page
        >of the site (though it does check some of them). Some external links
        >also get skipped, yet some still get checked. Something is not quite
        >right with that version. I can't determine a pattern, so I'm not sure
        >what is happening.
        >
        >Thanks for any insight.
        >
        >--- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> That version is now here:
        >> http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/xenuwild1.zip
        >>
        >> The old version/ file name seemed to have a problem, it didn't have the
        >> wildcard feature at all (apparently), so I uploaded it under a new name,
        >> and downloaded it myself to check.
        >>
        >> Tilman
        >>
        >> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:24:34 -0000, maizegoblue wrote:
        >>
        >> >Hi,
        >> >
        >> >First, let me say that Xenu is truly a great program. It's come in
        >> >very handy for me.
        >> >
        >> >Anyway, I read some older posts talking about a version of Xenu that
        >> >supports excluding filenames using wildcards. This would be a
        >> >tremendously helpful feature for me.
        >> >
        >> >For instance, I might wish to exclude all "print friendly" pages on my
        >> >site by excluding the following:
        >> >*display=print*
        >> >
        >> >The link I found to that version was unfortunately dead. Can anyone
        >help?
        >> >
        >> >Thanks a lot!
        >>

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • maizegoblue
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 14, 2007
          Tilman,

          I hope you don't delete the "Check URL list function"--I love it! It
          works fine in the release version. It's just not working right in the
          beta version.

          If you scan the following site with the beta, then try doing it from a
          text file, you should see a big difference.
          http://dustyfeet.com/index.html

          If I use "Check URL," Xenu beta finds 178 URLs. If I put that URL in a
          file and use "Check URL list," Xenu only finds 9 URLs.

          Again, the release version works fine, and I really like this feature.
          I would go back to the release version, but I would like to use the
          wildcard functionality.

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 14, 2007
            On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 03:27:06 -0000, maizegoblue wrote:

            >Tilman,
            >
            >I hope you don't delete the "Check URL list function"--I love it! It
            >works fine in the release version. It's just not working right in the
            >beta version.

            This hasn't changed for years...

            >If you scan the following site with the beta, then try doing it from a
            >text file, you should see a big difference.
            >http://dustyfeet.com/index.html
            >
            >If I use "Check URL," Xenu beta finds 178 URLs. If I put that URL in a
            >file and use "Check URL list," Xenu only finds 9 URLs.

            Yes - as I said, it will spider only URls that start with
            "http://dustyfeet.com/index.html".

            So an URL with "http://dustyfeet.com/toys.html" would not be spidered,
            it is considered as "external".

            Solution: put

            "http://dustyfeet.com" in the txt file instead

            Tilman

            >Again, the release version works fine, and I really like this feature.
            >I would go back to the release version, but I would like to use the
            >wildcard functionality.
            >

            >--- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> The "Check URL list" has many logic problems, i.e. the behaviour is hard
            >> to describe/understand, which is why I hate it. I should delete it.
            >>
            >> Check URL list is normally for domains only. It spiders all the URLs,
            >> but accepts only URLs that start with the ones in the txt file. I.e. all
            >> URls are added to the include list.
            >>
            >> The best would be to send me
            >> 1) the html file
            >> 2) the txt file
            >> 3) a few URLs that you claim are not checked with that list feature
            >>
            >> Tilman
            >>
            >> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 20:18:21 -0000, maizegoblue wrote:
            >>
            >> >Thanks a lot, Tilman.
            >> >
            >> >I have a problem with the new version of Xenu, though. It seems that
            >> >when I check a number of sites (or even just one) using the "Check URL
            >> >list" function, many links do not get checked.
            >> >
            >> >I uninstalled the old version and installed the version that supports
            >> >wildcards. I did NOT try that feature yet.
            >> >
            >> >The problem seems to be the way Xenu handles "Check URL list" function
            >> >in the new version. If I check a single site using the "Check URL"
            >> >dialog, I get 75 links checked. If I put that site by itself in a text
            >> >file and use "Check URL list," Xenu only finds 45 links. In the latter
            >> >case, Xenu doesn't check some images that appear even on the home page
            >> >of the site (though it does check some of them). Some external links
            >> >also get skipped, yet some still get checked. Something is not quite
            >> >right with that version. I can't determine a pattern, so I'm not sure
            >> >what is happening.
            >> >
            >> >Thanks for any insight.

            >have the
            >new name,

            >on my

            >> >help?

            >> >Yahoo! Groups Links
            >> >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • maizegoblue
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 15, 2007
              Tilman,

              This time I put "http://dustyfeet.com" in a text file and got the same
              result: 9 URLs found.

              If I use "Check URL" for "http://dustyfeet.com" I get 178 URLs.

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 15, 2007
                I see now what happened:

                As I said, the the URLs in "Check URL list" are used as an include list.

                Now remember that in the wildcard version, it is important always to add
                "*" at the beginning and end - unless you "want" this to be the
                beginning or end.

                The root URL in the "Check URL list" version is
                file:///c:/dokumente und einstellungen/......../test.txt

                So only URLs that start with this, or that "match" whats in the wildcard
                list, are internal (and spidered).

                What we learn:
                Don't use use "Check URL list" with the wildcard version.

                Alternatively, I could simply add "*" at the end of every entry for the
                include table when using that feature, and it might work.

                Tilman

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 15, 2007
                  Do you need BOTH the wildcard feature, and the "Check URL list" feature?
                  If yes, I'll upload the corrected version. This quasi-bug has now been
                  fixed.

                  Tilman

                  ====================

                • maizegoblue
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 15, 2007
                    Tilman,

                    Yes, I would very much like to use both of those features at the same
                    time! I check a lot of sites, but there are some URLs that I need to
                    exclude using wildcards. Thanks a lot for your hard work!

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 15, 2007
                      Get it here:

                      http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/xenuwild2.zip

                      Tilman

                      On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:16:27 -0000, maizegoblue wrote:

                      >Tilman,
                      >
                      >Yes, I would very much like to use both of those features at the same
                      >time! I check a lot of sites, but there are some URLs that I need to
                      >exclude using wildcards. Thanks a lot for your hard work!
                      >
                      >--- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Do you need BOTH the wildcard feature, and the "Check URL list" feature?
                      >> If yes, I'll upload the corrected version. This quasi-bug has now been
                      >> fixed.

                    • keethrn
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 15, 2007
                        Please, please, please don't delete this feature. I use it a lot in
                        addition to Xenu's normal function of checking links on a website.

                        I have found it very helpful when I need to generate a list of links
                        from a group of specific web pages on a site, but I don't want to
                        spider all of the pages. I set the maximum level in options to 1 and
                        then create a list of files I'm interested in. When I run Xenu on the
                        list of files I get the list of links that I need.

                        Thanks for a great program. I have been using it for a number of years
                        now. It does exactly what it claims to do, and what I need. I
                        appreciate it not having a lot of "bells and whistles" that add
                        complexity and overhead with little, if any, benefit.
                      • maizegoblue
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 15, 2007
                          Tilman,

                          Thanks a lot!! That fixed it. It's beautiful now.

                          One last question: can I put my "exclusion list" of URLs to not check
                          in the .ini file?

                          Thanks again.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 15, 2007
                            On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 20:40:47 -0000, maizegoblue wrote:

                            >Tilman,
                            >
                            >Thanks a lot!! That fixed it. It's beautiful now.
                            >
                            >One last question: can I put my "exclusion list" of URLs to not check
                            >in the .ini file?

                            It is already done. (Not in the check URL feature) Look into the INI
                            file and you'll see it.

                            Tilman

                            >Thanks again.
                            >
                            >--- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> Get it here:
                            >>
                            >> http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/xenuwild2.zip
                            >>

                            >> Tilman
                            >>
                            >> On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:16:27 -0000, maizegoblue wrote:
                            >>
                            >> >Tilman,
                            >> >
                            >> >Yes, I would very much like to use both of those features at the same
                            >> >time! I check a lot of sites, but there are some URLs that I need to
                            >> >exclude using wildcards. Thanks a lot for your hard work!

                            >feature?
                            >been

                            >> >Yahoo! Groups Links
                            >> >

                            >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • maizegoblue
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 17, 2007
                              Tilman,

                              Thanks for the explanation. I was under the impression that having the
                              exclusion list in the .ini file meant that this feature could be used
                              in conjunction with "Check URL List." Is there any way those features
                              could work together?

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 17, 2007
                                On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 14:56:47 -0000, maizegoblue wrote:

                                >Tilman,
                                >
                                >Thanks for the explanation. I was under the impression that having the
                                >exclusion list in the .ini file meant that this feature could be used
                                >in conjunction with "Check URL List." Is there any way those features
                                >could work together?

                                No, the "check URL list" was just a quickie job. It doesn't use an extra
                                include/exclude list.

                                Tilman