Using Xenu to validate links stored in Microsoft Access

  • Smith, David
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2004
      About two weeks ago I asked about ways to get data in Microsoft Access into
      an html format that Xenu could understand.

      Several solutions were offered, so I thought I would share what I eventually
      came up with:

      Step 1 -- Write an Access query that displays just the link data from your
      hyperlink field. Select-all and copy this to your clipboard.

      Step 2 -- Go to http://www.newbiehangout.com/convert/Mt2h.cgi, paste your
      clipboard contents into the form, and use the online form to convert the
      text to html.

      Step 3 -- Copy-n-paste the form results into your favorite html editor and
      save as an html file.

      Step 4 -- Start Xenu, select "Check URL", click on the Browse Button to find
      your file saved in step 3, select any options that you want, click on the
      "OK" button, and sit back and wait for the results.

      Notes:

      -- There may be dozens of other online utilities, but the one at
      newbiehangout came up first in my Google search results. There are several
      commercial and freeware alternatives as well, but I don't have an identified
      need above and beyond this particular task, so this script is good enough.

      -- in some cases (but not all) the "<" and ">" did not convert properly, so
      be sure you know that < means "<" and > means ">" and how to use the
      global search and replace function in your editor.)

      -- Once set-up, the process takes less than 2 minutes to go from start to
      waiting for Xenu to work it's magic. If that segment took longer, if my
      data exceeded the capacity of the conversion form, or if the Xenu link
      verification could be automated, then I would recommend a closer look at the
      macro- or VBA- based solutions that other members suggested.

      David Smith
      2-1-1 Texas I&R Network
      4900 North Lamar Blvd, MC BH-1900
      Austin, Texas 78751-2316