request for the: Remote Orphan Check dialog

  • bamaustin2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 16, 2007
      Could you make the "ftp host:" field wider in the "Remote Orphan
      Check: Ftp Parameters" dialog display? The current width does not
      display enough characters to show the address in its entirety.

      There isn't enough space to display the entire application layer and
      octets of a standard IPv4 address without scrolling. Using a fully
      qualified domain name plus a user directory on a shared host usually
      won't fit either. (When IPv6 support comes into wider use, this
      field will become more difficult to use for reference.)

      I typically need Xenu most when someone asks me to help them clean up
      their website. And, since most of those people use shared hosting
      services, it takes quite a few attempts to set up the "Remote Orphan
      Check: Ftp Parameters" dialog so that it works with the host's
      idiosyncrasies. I haven't figured out why the values that work
      successfully in WS-FTP won't also work in Xenu.

      (If I don't have time to mess with these settings, I just copy the
      whole website via FTP and use Xenu on that local mirror. Then the
      FTP configuration becomes moot for a local orphan check. That works
      so much more simply.)

      It would be great if there was a "validate" button that verified that
      the settings would provide access. Even better if it could display a
      directory listing (or validated the expected subdirectories existed)
      to make sure it was hitting the right subdirectory. I get a lot
      of "550 No such directory" error messages in the orphan report
      section until I find the expected subdirectory.)

      Thanks for reading,
      Brian
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 18, 2007
        The dialog will be wider in the next version.
        The "validate" button sounds like a good idea, but I don't have the time
        right now. But I'll try to do it some day.

        Tilman

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 20, 2007
          On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 21:53:13 -0000, bamaustin2000 wrote:

          >Could you make the "ftp host:" field wider in the "Remote Orphan
          >Check: Ftp Parameters" dialog display? The current width does not
          >display enough characters to show the address in its entirety.

          Try this new version:

          This also has a new feature:

          [Options]
          MakeLowerCase=1

          to convert all to lower case (for some users)