Re: [xenu-usergroup] Version 1.2i uploaded

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
      On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 12:15:31 +0100, Stephen Gazard wrote:

      >Hello,
      >
      > I've just downloaded the new version, and I was impressed by how
      >fast it loaded after installing. I've used Xenu for quite a while, and
      >was wondering if the following improvements could be made.
      >
      > I work on a number of client's sites, and I have to consider some
      >links as external based on different sites, especially when developing
      >the site. So, could the "internal links" and "external links" be
      >(optionally) based on a URL, in some sense like a project. Opening a
      >Xenu file would automatically pre-fill those fields, negating the need
      >to manually re-enter them (apologies if this already exists, and I've
      >missed it).

      It *is* based on the URL. Of course, the starting URL must be different.

      > Another option I would like to see is the ability to right-click on
      >an URL that is problematic, and be able to open (in a browser) from a
      >submenu some of the pages that *link to the page*. I know the
      >information is available when you open the properties of a broken link,

      Sorry, but these are often 100s of URLs. I'd get many complaints.

      >but the text then needs to be copied and pasted into a browser. You
      >see, often pages generated from a CMS don't give useful URLs (e.g.
      >http://www.mysite.com/index.php?p=45). This could be put down as a
      >failing of the CMS, but nonetheless it would be useful, along with the
      >ability to display the title of the referring pages. This comes about
      >because I don't often look at the report (useful), but I prefer the
      >summary of information that is available by "show broken links only".
      >
      > Then, it would be useful if another option (similar to 're-set this
      >entry') were available: The option to check all the pages that had a
      >broken link to see if their links were updated, and thus the 'broken'
      >link were removed. Do you follow me? So, if someone had managed to
      >methodically make a bad link and thus have 20pages with bad links, but
      >I've got a site with 1000 pages in it. I want to re-check just those
      >pages, without running the entire site again, and conserving a client's
      >bandwidth, despite Xenu's excellent job that it does.

      Yes, this is often asked, but too difficult because of the recursion
      problems involved, since many pages might have changed.

      It's easier to just rescan the whole site.

      Tilman

      >Cheers,
      >Stephen

    • Stephen Gazard
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2006
        > > Another option I would like to see is the ability to
        right-click on
        > > an URL that is problematic, and be able to open (in a
        browser) from a
        > > submenu some of the pages that *link to the page*. I know the
        > > information is available when you open the properties of a
        broken
        > > link,
        >
        > Sorry, but these are often 100s of URLs. I'd get many complaints.

        OK.  I understand that.  Would it be possible to instead make the
        text links in the properties box be 'clickable', so that it removes the
        extra steps of copying and pasting the url?

        Perhaps with the *option* of showing the url's title?

        Stephen