Version 1.2i uploaded

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2006
      I now uploaded the latest version. Download it if you have a "big" site,
      or if you like one of the features / bugfixes mentioned :)

      Tilman

      =====

      new features in this release of Xenu's Link Sleuth:
      http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html

      Please save the previous version of XENU.EXE "just in case" :-)

      1.10.2006 (1.2i)
      Minor improvements:
      - 25.6.2006: Property dialogbox with count
      - 25.7.2006: Added orphan size
      - 19.8.2006: PARSETEST2 compile option (restore all %XX, like 23.7.2005)
      - 19.8.2006: Switched to InnoSetup 5.1.6
      - 9.9.2006: NEW Dialog Box wider
      - 16.9.2006: [Options] MaxRetry
      - file %TEMP%\XENULOG.TXT for people who have trouble launching the
      browser
      (the file is not automatically sent to anyone, this must be done
      manually)
      Bug fixes:
      - 6.6.2006: vNormalizeURL (csBaseURL);
      - 24.7.2006: Microsoft bug in CStdioFile::ReadString workaround
      (happened with files with a multiple of 128 with no CR on
      last line)
      http://www.mpdvc.de/html.htm#Q71
      http://avensoft.biz/kb/kbDetail.wsp?kb_id=162
      - 26.7.2006: Added missing HTTP status codes (412-415)
      - 30.7.2006 - 2.8.2006: corrected many HTML errors in report (Thanks
      Spike!)
      - 14.9.2006: corrected bug in 18.3.2006 feature that made Xenu slow when
      unfinished URLs only at the bottom of huge URL list
      - 18.9.2006: corrected error handling for smtp.Connect()
    • Stephen Gazard
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
        Hello,

        I've just downloaded the new version, and I was impressed by how
        fast it loaded after installing. I've used Xenu for quite a while, and
        was wondering if the following improvements could be made.

        I work on a number of client's sites, and I have to consider some
        links as external based on different sites, especially when developing
        the site. So, could the "internal links" and "external links" be
        (optionally) based on a URL, in some sense like a project. Opening a
        Xenu file would automatically pre-fill those fields, negating the need
        to manually re-enter them (apologies if this already exists, and I've
        missed it).

        Another option I would like to see is the ability to right-click on
        an URL that is problematic, and be able to open (in a browser) from a
        submenu some of the pages that *link to the page*. I know the
        information is available when you open the properties of a broken link,
        but the text then needs to be copied and pasted into a browser. You
        see, often pages generated from a CMS don't give useful URLs (e.g.
        http://www.mysite.com/index.php?p=45). This could be put down as a
        failing of the CMS, but nonetheless it would be useful, along with the
        ability to display the title of the referring pages. This comes about
        because I don't often look at the report (useful), but I prefer the
        summary of information that is available by "show broken links only".

        Then, it would be useful if another option (similar to 're-set this
        entry') were available: The option to check all the pages that had a
        broken link to see if their links were updated, and thus the 'broken'
        link were removed. Do you follow me? So, if someone had managed to
        methodically make a bad link and thus have 20pages with bad links, but
        I've got a site with 1000 pages in it. I want to re-check just those
        pages, without running the entire site again, and conserving a client's
        bandwidth, despite Xenu's excellent job that it does.

        Cheers,
        Stephen

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
          On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 12:15:31 +0100, Stephen Gazard wrote:

          >Hello,
          >
          > I've just downloaded the new version, and I was impressed by how
          >fast it loaded after installing. I've used Xenu for quite a while, and
          >was wondering if the following improvements could be made.
          >
          > I work on a number of client's sites, and I have to consider some
          >links as external based on different sites, especially when developing
          >the site. So, could the "internal links" and "external links" be
          >(optionally) based on a URL, in some sense like a project. Opening a
          >Xenu file would automatically pre-fill those fields, negating the need
          >to manually re-enter them (apologies if this already exists, and I've
          >missed it).

          It *is* based on the URL. Of course, the starting URL must be different.

          > Another option I would like to see is the ability to right-click on
          >an URL that is problematic, and be able to open (in a browser) from a
          >submenu some of the pages that *link to the page*. I know the
          >information is available when you open the properties of a broken link,

          Sorry, but these are often 100s of URLs. I'd get many complaints.

          >but the text then needs to be copied and pasted into a browser. You
          >see, often pages generated from a CMS don't give useful URLs (e.g.
          >http://www.mysite.com/index.php?p=45). This could be put down as a
          >failing of the CMS, but nonetheless it would be useful, along with the
          >ability to display the title of the referring pages. This comes about
          >because I don't often look at the report (useful), but I prefer the
          >summary of information that is available by "show broken links only".
          >
          > Then, it would be useful if another option (similar to 're-set this
          >entry') were available: The option to check all the pages that had a
          >broken link to see if their links were updated, and thus the 'broken'
          >link were removed. Do you follow me? So, if someone had managed to
          >methodically make a bad link and thus have 20pages with bad links, but
          >I've got a site with 1000 pages in it. I want to re-check just those
          >pages, without running the entire site again, and conserving a client's
          >bandwidth, despite Xenu's excellent job that it does.

          Yes, this is often asked, but too difficult because of the recursion
          problems involved, since many pages might have changed.

          It's easier to just rescan the whole site.

          Tilman

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 6, 2006
            > > Another option I would like to see is the ability to
            right-click on
            > > an URL that is problematic, and be able to open (in a
            browser) from a
            > > submenu some of the pages that *link to the page*. I know the
            > > information is available when you open the properties of a
            broken
            > > link,
            >
            > Sorry, but these are often 100s of URLs. I'd get many complaints.

            OK.  I understand that.  Would it be possible to instead make the
            text links in the properties box be 'clickable', so that it removes the
            extra steps of copying and pasting the url?

            Perhaps with the *option* of showing the url's title?

            Stephen