Xenu is retreiving a long-deleted version of the site - why?

  • mr_yossu
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 25, 2006
      Hello,

      I have just been trying Zenu, and it looks like it could be very
      useful, but I'm having a major problem with it that I can't seem to solve.

      About two or three months ago, I changed on of my client's site from
      old-style ASP pages (which have an .asp extension) to ASP.NET pages
      (which have an .aspx extension). I now want to check that all internal
      links on the (completely new and rewritten) site are good.

      I plugged the URL of the home page into Xenu, and started the check.
      It shows the home page, then a CSS file, JS file and a couple of
      images, but then the next file it shows is an old .asp file that isn't
      linked anywhere on the home page (or anywhere else for that matter,
      but at this stage Xenu has only seen the home page).

      I have checked the home page in a browser, and have confirmed that the
      link for the page in question simply doesn't exist in the source. I
      have right-clicked and displayed the page in a browser, and the new
      version (without the old link) shows correctly.

      So, where's Xenu getting this old version from, and how can I stop it?
      At the moment, the report that is generated is completely useless to
      me as it has hundreds of false reports of broken links for pages that
      no longer exist.

      Any help appreciated. The URL in question is www.formationsdirect.com
      and I would be interested in seeing if anyone else sees the same problem.
    • Stephen Gazard
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 25, 2006
        I've just checked the URL you gave below in Xenu, and the message "object permanently moved" comes up, as a re-direct to the page /default.aspx

        Ideally you should never include such a re-direct, but rather add default.aspx to the list of default documents on the server, and make it a primary document.

        If I set the url for Xenu to check as "http://www.formationsdirect.com/default.aspx", it works fine, and some errors show up.  Otherwise, I don't see your problem.
        Stephen

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 25, 2006
          On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 15:21:02 -0000, mr_yossu wrote:

          >Hello,
          >
          >I have just been trying Zenu, and it looks like it could be very
          >useful, but I'm having a major problem with it that I can't seem to solve.
          >
          >About two or three months ago, I changed on of my client's site from
          >old-style ASP pages (which have an .asp extension) to ASP.NET pages
          >(which have an .aspx extension). I now want to check that all internal
          >links on the (completely new and rewritten) site are good.
          >
          >I plugged the URL of the home page into Xenu, and started the check.
          >It shows the home page, then a CSS file, JS file and a couple of
          >images, but then the next file it shows is an old .asp file that isn't
          >linked anywhere on the home page (or anywhere else for that matter,
          >but at this stage Xenu has only seen the home page).
          >
          >I have checked the home page in a browser, and have confirmed that the
          >link for the page in question simply doesn't exist in the source. I
          >have right-clicked and displayed the page in a browser, and the new
          >version (without the old link) shows correctly.
          >
          >So, where's Xenu getting this old version from, and how can I stop it?
          >At the moment, the report that is generated is completely useless to
          >me as it has hundreds of false reports of broken links for pages that
          >no longer exist.
          >
          >Any help appreciated. The URL in question is www.formationsdirect.com
          >and I would be interested in seeing if anyone else sees the same problem.

          Tell me what page appears that "doesn't exist".

          I suspect that your server is reacting differently depending on the user
          agent.
        • mr_yossu
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 25, 2006
            --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Gazard <stephen@...> wrote:

            > I've just checked the URL you gave below in Xenu, and the message
            > "object permanently moved" comes up, as a re-direct to the page
            > /default.aspx

            Ah, that was it. When we rebuilt the site, I added permanent redirects
            from the old pages to the new. What I forgot to do was set
            default.aspx as the default page, so it was trying to load default.asp
            then getting redirected to default.aspx.

            Doesn't explain how it found the old version though, as it shouldn't
            have seen default.asp. Still, fixed the problem.

            > Ideally you should never include such a re-direct, but rather add
            > default.aspx to the list of default documents on the server, and
            make it
            > a primary document.

            NOrmally do, but as the pages all changed, I had to use redirects to
            get the new pages to show up in the search engines, and when people
            tried to access the old ones from bookmarks.

            Thanks
          • Kevin & Kathaya
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 25, 2006
              Hi

              Not sure which version of Xenu you are using but checking it with version 1.2h it works just fine, seems to find your .aspx files just fine

              Skipped external links but these not found errors may be of interest to you: