Removing a string from a URL and some VB acceleration tips?

  • aceblchboy
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 19, 2006
      I noticed in the latest release that Xenu seems a bit slower, that it
      starts lagging at a lower link quantity (about 20,000).
      I'm assuming that this program is written in VB, if it is, maybe
      applying some coding corrections as suggested from
      http://www.aivosto.com/vbtips/stringopt.html, a part of the resource
      page at http://www.aivosto.com/resources.html. Yes, they're selling a
      product, but they also offer the list of tips. I haven't tested these
      as I am a VB novice myself.

      I use Xenu to help test dead links on a rather large fansite and I use
      it to help enforce an external image size policy. The real problem
      with scanning the userbase of a forum is that Xenu parses a string that
      the forum adds. It seems to be an MD5 checksum string that appears in
      the URL string as /index.php?s=(MD5 string here)&(other parameters
      here). Removing the s=(MD5 string here) would make the links duplicate
      rather than unique because with the string, it balloons 10,000 users
      into 100,000 links and I end up having to separate the real external
      links from those in the forum due to the exclusion rule setup I have.

      In short, is there a way to remove that string segment from a URL in
      xenu before xenu adds the link for parsing?
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 19, 2006
        On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 15:45:37 -0000, aceblchboy wrote:

        >I noticed in the latest release that Xenu seems a bit slower, that it
        >starts lagging at a lower link quantity (about 20,000).

        Get the new beta that I mentioned :)

        >I'm assuming that this program is written in VB, if it is, maybe

        No it's not (see on the website, it is Visual C++)

        >applying some coding corrections as suggested from
        >http://www.aivosto.com/vbtips/stringopt.html, a part of the resource
        >page at http://www.aivosto.com/resources.html. Yes, they're selling a
        >product, but they also offer the list of tips. I haven't tested these
        >as I am a VB novice myself.
        >
        >I use Xenu to help test dead links on a rather large fansite and I use
        >it to help enforce an external image size policy. The real problem
        >with scanning the userbase of a forum is that Xenu parses a string that
        >the forum adds. It seems to be an MD5 checksum string that appears in
        >the URL string as /index.php?s=(MD5 string here)&(other parameters
        >here). Removing the s=(MD5 string here) would make the links duplicate
        >rather than unique because with the string, it balloons 10,000 users
        >into 100,000 links and I end up having to separate the real external
        >links from those in the forum due to the exclusion rule setup I have.
        >
        >In short, is there a way to remove that string segment from a URL in
        >xenu before xenu adds the link for parsing?

        No; a possible solution might be to use cookies (but read the warning!!)