RE: [xenu-usergroup] McAfee Site Advisor's red-flag rating for Xenu downloads

  • Gurganus, Brant L
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 15, 2006
      RE: [xenu-usergroup] McAfee Site Advisor's red-flag rating for Xenu downloads

      Snafu.de appears to hold personal sites so while it is possible that other personal sites had downloads with Aureate or other spyware, I have never noticed anything bundled with Xenu.

      Brant Gurganus
      http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~gurganbl

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 15, 2006
        On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:15:52 -0400, Gurganus, Brant L wrote:

        >Snafu.de appears to hold personal sites so while it is possible that other personal sites had downloads with Aureate or other spyware, I have never noticed anything bundled with Xenu.
        >
        >Brant Gurganus
        >http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~gurganbl

        Thanks. There is indeed nothing bundled with Xenu.

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 15, 2006
          On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 10:08:40 -0700, Tom Dowling wrote:

          >I'm a little concerned about McAfee's site advisor's rating for the
          >snafu.de site. They have red-flagged downloads from the site.
          >Anything to be concerned about? See below.

          Brent had a good answer already :)

          If mcafee's software gives an address to give feedback, I would like to
          know it. What they do is libel.

          >I'm also concerned when Xenu asks for my FTP user name and password.

          Don't answer, if you don't trust Xenu. It's needed only for the orphan
          check.

          >Last time I ran it, it also asked for user name and password about 3/4
          >of the way through a 6000+ URL check. Again, anything to be concerned
          >about.

          Again - don't answer. It will skip the password protected segment,
          that's all. That dialog box isn't even from me, its from within the
          WININET.DLL library, I don't even get the input myself, it stays in the
          DLL.

          I do get the ftp input in Xenu, but Xenu never "phones home". Anyone who
          whishes, can verify this with a network sniffer device.

          Tilman
        • Tom Dowling
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 15, 2006
            Thanks! I appreciate the quick and honest reply.

            McAfee Site Advisor does have a feedback page for site owners, but you
            have to register.

            http://user.siteadvisor.com/forums/websiteOwnerVerification.php

            Tom Dowling

            On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 10:08:40 -0700, Tom Dowling wrote:

            >I'm a little concerned about McAfee's site advisor's rating for the
            >snafu.de site. They have red-flagged downloads from the site.
            >Anything to be concerned about? See below.

            Brent had a good answer already :)

            If mcafee's software gives an address to give feedback, I would like to
            know it. What they do is libel.

            >I'm also concerned when Xenu asks for my FTP user name and password.

            Don't answer, if you don't trust Xenu. It's needed only for the orphan
            check.

            >Last time I ran it, it also asked for user name and password about 3/4
            >of the way through a 6000+ URL check. Again, anything to be concerned
            >about.

            Again - don't answer. It will skip the password protected segment,
            that's all. That dialog box isn't even from me, its from within the
            WININET.DLL library, I don't even get the input myself, it stays in the
            DLL.

            I do get the ftp input in Xenu, but Xenu never "phones home". Anyone
            who
            whishes, can verify this with a network sniffer device.

            Tilman

            Yahoo! Groups Links
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 15, 2006
              On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 12:11:28 -0700, Tom Dowling wrote:

              >Thanks! I appreciate the quick and honest reply.
              >
              >McAfee Site Advisor does have a feedback page for site owners, but you
              >have to register.
              >
              >http://user.siteadvisor.com/forums/websiteOwnerVerification.php

              Thanks. I see that the warning doesn't come for
              http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html , but for WWW.snafu.de ; it
              has two "suspicious" programmes, cuteftp and gozilla.

              I found
              http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/snafu.de/downloads/499464/ has Xenu,
              and it says correctly: "In our tests, this download was free of adware,
              spyware and other unwanted programs."

              Tilman