McAfee Site Advisor's red-flag rating for Xenu downloads

  • Tom Dowling
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 15, 2006
      I'm a little concerned about McAfee's site advisor's rating for the
      snafu.de site. They have red-flagged downloads from the site.
      Anything to be concerned about? See below.

      I'm also concerned when Xenu asks for my FTP user name and password.
      Last time I ran it, it also asked for user name and password about 3/4
      of the way through a 6000+ URL check. Again, anything to be concerned
      about.

      =========

      snafu.de > download analysis
      Detailed download analysis
      LEGEND:

      Buttons, toolbars or add ons

      2 red downloads

      In our tests, we found downloads on this site that some people consider
      adware, spyware, or other unwanted programs.
      Destination Folder

      BUNDLED SOFTWARE: Timesink

      Internet Connection

      BUNDLED SOFTWARE: Aureate

      Tom Dowling
    • Gurganus, Brant L
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 15, 2006
        RE: [xenu-usergroup] McAfee Site Advisor's red-flag rating for Xenu downloads

        Snafu.de appears to hold personal sites so while it is possible that other personal sites had downloads with Aureate or other spyware, I have never noticed anything bundled with Xenu.

        Brant Gurganus
        http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~gurganbl

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 15, 2006
          On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:15:52 -0400, Gurganus, Brant L wrote:

          >Snafu.de appears to hold personal sites so while it is possible that other personal sites had downloads with Aureate or other spyware, I have never noticed anything bundled with Xenu.
          >
          >Brant Gurganus
          >http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~gurganbl

          Thanks. There is indeed nothing bundled with Xenu.

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 15, 2006
            On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 10:08:40 -0700, Tom Dowling wrote:

            >I'm a little concerned about McAfee's site advisor's rating for the
            >snafu.de site. They have red-flagged downloads from the site.
            >Anything to be concerned about? See below.

            Brent had a good answer already :)

            If mcafee's software gives an address to give feedback, I would like to
            know it. What they do is libel.

            >I'm also concerned when Xenu asks for my FTP user name and password.

            Don't answer, if you don't trust Xenu. It's needed only for the orphan
            check.

            >Last time I ran it, it also asked for user name and password about 3/4
            >of the way through a 6000+ URL check. Again, anything to be concerned
            >about.

            Again - don't answer. It will skip the password protected segment,
            that's all. That dialog box isn't even from me, its from within the
            WININET.DLL library, I don't even get the input myself, it stays in the
            DLL.

            I do get the ftp input in Xenu, but Xenu never "phones home". Anyone who
            whishes, can verify this with a network sniffer device.

            Tilman
          • Tom Dowling
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 15, 2006
              Thanks! I appreciate the quick and honest reply.

              McAfee Site Advisor does have a feedback page for site owners, but you
              have to register.

              http://user.siteadvisor.com/forums/websiteOwnerVerification.php

              Tom Dowling

              On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 10:08:40 -0700, Tom Dowling wrote:

              >I'm a little concerned about McAfee's site advisor's rating for the
              >snafu.de site. They have red-flagged downloads from the site.
              >Anything to be concerned about? See below.

              Brent had a good answer already :)

              If mcafee's software gives an address to give feedback, I would like to
              know it. What they do is libel.

              >I'm also concerned when Xenu asks for my FTP user name and password.

              Don't answer, if you don't trust Xenu. It's needed only for the orphan
              check.

              >Last time I ran it, it also asked for user name and password about 3/4
              >of the way through a 6000+ URL check. Again, anything to be concerned
              >about.

              Again - don't answer. It will skip the password protected segment,
              that's all. That dialog box isn't even from me, its from within the
              WININET.DLL library, I don't even get the input myself, it stays in the
              DLL.

              I do get the ftp input in Xenu, but Xenu never "phones home". Anyone
              who
              whishes, can verify this with a network sniffer device.

              Tilman

              Yahoo! Groups Links
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 15, 2006
                On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 12:11:28 -0700, Tom Dowling wrote:

                >Thanks! I appreciate the quick and honest reply.
                >
                >McAfee Site Advisor does have a feedback page for site owners, but you
                >have to register.
                >
                >http://user.siteadvisor.com/forums/websiteOwnerVerification.php

                Thanks. I see that the warning doesn't come for
                http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html , but for WWW.snafu.de ; it
                has two "suspicious" programmes, cuteftp and gozilla.

                I found
                http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/snafu.de/downloads/499464/ has Xenu,
                and it says correctly: "In our tests, this download was free of adware,
                spyware and other unwanted programs."

                Tilman