Xenu timeouts possibly due to firewalls with DoS protection

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2006
      I have installed a new external modem+router+NAT+firewall+switch box.

      Then I had problems accessing newspaper articles.
      I looked in the protocols of the box. It claimed that my computer had
      started a SYN flood. Of course, this wasn't true, but I had opened a lot
      of articles in background browser windows at almost the same time.

      After I "relaxed" the parameters in the settings, it worked.

      This makes me think that maybe the people who have had timeout problems
      with Xenu are also "victims" of such a protection setting in their
      firewall box, or in the infrastructure of their ISP.
      SYN is the first packet that is sent to a host when starting a
      connection. Theoretically, Xenu might send 100 SYN packets that are not
      immediately answered, so a monitoring software (that counts "unanswered"
      SYN packets) might think something "evil" is going on.