Re: [xenu-usergroup] Orphan Files

    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 6, 2006
      That is another problem, a misconfiguration in the registry. Try
      launching your browser first, and then launch the report. Or try the
      UseDDE trick mentioned in the FAQ.

      Tilman

    • au84uah88
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 2, 2006
        How does one perform a *local* Orphan Check (assuming a copy of the
        site is located on local machine)? What entries are necessary in
        the "Remote Orphan Check: FTP Parameters" dialog box? Will you
        please provide examples? Neither the Xenu help files nor
        http://members.chello.nl/f.visser3/xenu/10-orphaned-files.html cover
        the details of *local* Orphan Checks. Thanks for your time and
        trouble!

        > On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 13:23:07 -0000, keethrn wrote:
        >
        > >Does the Orphan File report require FTP access?
        >
        > Only remote checks
        >
        > >If I want to check a local drive, do I need to set up a local FTP
        server?

        > No, not for local checks

      • au84uah88
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 2, 2006
          Regarding *remote* Orphan Checks, my Web server is running SSH File
          Transfer Protocol (SFTP), not ordinary FTP. So far, I've been
          unsuccessful attempting *remote* Orphan Checks. Are *remote* Orphan
          Checks possible by SFTP with Xenu 1.2h? If yes, how do I accomplish
          that? Thanks for your time and trouble!

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 2, 2006
            On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 14:37:16 -0000, au84uah88 wrote:

            >How does one perform a *local* Orphan Check (assuming a copy of the
            >site is located on local machine)?

            Just do a normal local Xenu check, i.e,. with a "file://" url, then
            launch the report.

            >What entries are necessary in
            >the "Remote Orphan Check: FTP Parameters" dialog box? Will you
            >please provide examples?

            That won't help you - it depends of your ISP. If you access your site
            with ftp, you would know the settings. (The current dialogbox is also
            somewhat improved.) But you don't need it for LOCAL checks.

            Tilman

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 2, 2006
              On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 14:38:13 -0000, au84uah88 wrote:

              >Regarding *remote* Orphan Checks, my Web server is running SSH File
              >Transfer Protocol (SFTP), not ordinary FTP. So far, I've been
              >unsuccessful attempting *remote* Orphan Checks. Are *remote* Orphan
              >Checks possible by SFTP with Xenu 1.2h? If yes, how do I accomplish
              >that? Thanks for your time and trouble!

              No.

              Tilman

              >--- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@...>
              >wrote:
              >>
              >> On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 13:23:07 -0000, keethrn wrote:
              >>
              >> >Does the Orphan File report require FTP access?
              >>
              >> Only remote checks
              >>
              >> >If I want to check a local drive, do I need to set up a local FTP
              >server?
              >>
              >> No, not for local checks
              >>

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • vacshop1
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 19, 2012
                Good Morning.
                I am experiencing some seious problems with my website www.vacuumcleanershop.com - mainly a drop in traffic which seems to coincide with the large number of files/pages the Googles' Webmaster Tools sees as "Not Selected" when it crawls my website. The website contains approximately 2500 pages, yet Google tells me there are close to 11,000 pages that are "not selected" in the index.
                Xenu did find some problems that were related to a social networking script I had installed. I removed that script and those problems went away. However, Xenu is also telling me that I have approximately 7300 orphan files. Again, this is from a site with only 2500 pages. Most of the so called Orphan Files are what look to be legitimate url's in the format: http://www.domainname/directory/URLname.htm so I don't see how they could be orphans.
                I got similar results using another program called InSpyder to check for orphan files and it ran for 3 hours until I finally gave up. Some of these files were also legitimate looking but many were malformed with six or more subdirectories before the html page.

                Thank you in advance for any help,
                Paul
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 19, 2012

                  The best is that you send me ( tilman at snafu dot de ) a .XEN file,
                  and a report of what you did. Then mention one or two examples of an
                  orphan file, that you think isn't, or doesn't exist at all. Note that -
                  as the report tells you - "Links that aren't spidered (e.g. webforms and
                  dynamically generated links) will appear as orphans in this list."

                  Tilman