PHP and session IDs

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2005
      hi all,

      when scanning this site:
      http://stuartdavis.com/

      i get a huge multiplication of links due to the PHP system of
      session id's:

      for example:
      http://stuartdavis.com/albums/nomenestnumen/lyrics/disciple
      http://stuartdavis.com/albums/nomenestnumen/lyrics/disciple?
      PHPSESSID=6446040253bfd5caadea71f2973082b7
      http://stuartdavis.com/albums/nomenestnumen/lyrics/disciple?
      PHPSESSID=f676e48f73751ccef6c553cd33379eed
      etc., etc.

      they all refer to the same page/URL.

      is there a way around this? i have stopped scanning after 40.000
      links were scanned, for this gets a bit impractical.

      i could of course exclude URLs that refer to only one page (a Search
      page or a Contact page), but I am not sure if all of these are of
      this type.

      any input is welcome,

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6, 2005
        what if you enable cookies?

        Tilman

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2005
          hi tilman,

          i have enabled all cookies now: direct, indirect and session (under
          Privacy > Advanced > Disable automatic cookie handling).

          seems i get less session id URLs, but still find a lot of them, some
          cases 33 for one URL:

          http://stuartdavis.com/images/flyers/stu_11x17poster_color.jpg?
          PHPSESSID=1a5f4aa3adcc1bd55627a196bf16a7bb
          http://stuartdavis.com/images/flyers/stu_11x17poster_color.jpg?
          PHPSESSID=26bd7acfe18ba32f9e2c23c5f19c61d5
          etc.

          is the logic that if cookies are disabled, a session ID is added to
          the URL?

          are these session URLs generated by Xenu while spidering?

          when i look up the properties of these URLs, they all have different
          URLs under "pages linking to this one", for example:

          http://stuartdavis.com/book/print/429?sort=asc&order=Venue&from=50
          http://stuartdavis.com/book/print/429?sort=asc&order=City&from=0
          http://stuartdavis.com/book/print/429?from=50&sort=asc&order=State

          is this all generated by Xenu?

          any input is helpful,

          frank

          --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@s...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 6, 2005
            No, I'm talking about *enabling* cookies in Xenu.
            http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html#cookies

            (I believe this was originally made for you!!!!)

            I have no idea how Xenu handles cookies. I don't do anything myself, I
            let the WININET.DLL handle it (when enabled).

            Tilman

          • Frank Visser
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 6, 2005

              Hi tilman,

              Shame on me – how could I forget!

              I set AllowCookies=1 and the issue has disappeared.

              I guess I hadn’t spidered a site that was so heavily cookie based as this one ;-)

              Tnx,

              Frank Visser, Waterpoortweg 279, 1051 pv, Amsterdam

              Author of: Ken Wilber: Thought as Passion SUNY 2003

              Read all about Ken Wilber : http://www.integralworld.net