Hyperlinks stored in Microsoft Access

  • David Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 24, 2004
      Does anyone have any experience in using Xenu to validate links
      stored in a Microsoft Access 2000 database?

      I am able to run a query to retrieve the website link data, but can
      not figure out how to go from straight text to html format, so Xenu
      can check the links.

      Any suggestions?
    • andi
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 24, 2004
        I keep my links in an Access97 database in an html format (w/ <a href...). and simply copy the entire field to Word as unformatted text, where I run a VB macro to put the quotes back where they belong (I'd be happy to give you the macro which runs in Word 8 and probably later versions).  I then paste the list to an HTML file and run Xenu on that as a local file.

        If you keep URLs and link titles in separate fields it gets more complex, but I have two macros that will reassemble the URL and title if separated by a pipe or tab character (the way adjacent access fields paste) or whatever.  I outline some of my other procedures/routines here: http://www.andilinks.com/linkckg.htm
        I'm not sure if these will help with that specific problem, just ask if you need more help, or the macro, etc.

        Andi

      • Eugeny.Sattler@RU.NESTLE.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 24, 2004
          > I am able to run a query to retrieve the website link data, but can
          > not figure out how to go from straight text to html format, so Xenu
          > can check the links.
          pls post a couple of lines of that straight text file so that I can
          understand a format

          Is it link title and the link itself on the same line :

          Some software http://site.com/dir/file.zip
          Another software http://site.com/dir/file.zip

          or two consequitive lines separated with
          line break, like below?

          Some software
          http://site.com/dir/file.zip
          Another software
          http://site.com/dir/file.zip

          Knowing this, I could post I suggestion.
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 25, 2004
            On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 09:28:39 +0400, Eugeny.Sattler@... wrote:

            >pls post a couple of lines of that straight text file so that I can
            >understand a format
            >
            >Is it link title and the link itself on the same line :

            a HTML file would look like this:

            I don't have much experience with Access but a lot with SQL. So a
            "SELECT" would look like this:

            YOURTABLE;

            I can't remember if " must be written as \" or as "". You could work
            without, they are not always needed.
          • Eugeny.Sattler@RU.NESTLE.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 30, 2004
              25/08/2004 David Smith wrote:

              > Does anyone have any experience in using Xenu to validate links
              > stored in a Microsoft Access 2000 database?

              > I am able to run a query to retrieve the website link data, but can
              > not figure out how to go from straight text to html format, so Xenu
              > can check the links.

              > Any suggestions?
              Looks like David Smith does not need any answers as he is
              not going to disclose the format of his plain text file :-))

              It is pretty easy to fetch links from Access into Excel
              (Links into one column and link titles to 2nd column)
              Then, I have VBA macro that checks all the links in selected Excel range and
              puts the result into neghbouring column.
              You need Xenu version with command line support for this.

              Ask me and I will send you this macro.