Re: [xenu-usergroup] Checking links in Flash

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
      On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 12:32:28 -0000, frank visser wrote:

      >hi all,
      >
      >September has been a VERY quiet month for the Xenu usergroup!
      >
      >I have been very busy with an online game for Nokia, which runs now
      >in 20 countries with 600.000 registered players:
      >
      >http://www.nokia.com/20lives

      I tried that one. One had to type something from a "teleprompter". After
      I mistyped something, the game was stuck and I closed it - so I never
      found out what this game was about.

      I just retried... it worked this time, but it's boring, and rather a
      sort of brainwashing that one has to watch and interact with Nokia
      materials all the time :-( I think I will buy a non-Nokia cellphone next
      time.

      >as test manager I had to find a way to check the links in this Flash-
      >only application, which Xenu currently cannot do.
      >
      >I found a good alternative in Fiddler:
      >http://www.fiddlertool.com
      >
      >it lists all HTTP requests while you are playing the game and finds
      >the 404 messages whenever there's a broken link.
      >
      >Tilman, not sure if this is a realistic question, but what does it
      >take to upgrade Xenu so it can handle Flash links?

      Flash is a program, not a formatting language. So the approach of
      "Fiddler" to simply test all links manually while the player plays makes
      sense.

      Tilman
    • Nigel Horne
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
        There exists a perl CPAN module that you can use to get strings from an
        SWF file, I have used that to spider Flash links in my search engine at
        www.bandsman.co.uk. There is
        no need to track http requests or anything complicated like that.

        Look for SWF::Parser.

        -Nigel
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
          On 03 Oct 2005 14:44:26 +0100, Nigel Horne wrote:

          >There exists a perl CPAN module that you can use to get strings from an
          >SWF file, I have used that to spider Flash links in my search engine at
          >www.bandsman.co.uk. There is
          >no need to track http requests or anything complicated like that.

          This won't help you if the http requests are created dynamically.