Checking links in Flash

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
      hi all,

      September has been a VERY quiet month for the Xenu usergroup!

      I have been very busy with an online game for Nokia, which runs now
      in 20 countries with 600.000 registered players:

      http://www.nokia.com/20lives

      as test manager I had to find a way to check the links in this Flash-
      only application, which Xenu currently cannot do.

      I found a good alternative in Fiddler:
      http://www.fiddlertool.com

      it lists all HTTP requests while you are playing the game and finds
      the 404 messages whenever there's a broken link.

      Tilman, not sure if this is a realistic question, but what does it
      take to upgrade Xenu so it can handle Flash links?

      Frank
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
        On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 12:32:28 -0000, frank visser wrote:

        >hi all,
        >
        >September has been a VERY quiet month for the Xenu usergroup!
        >
        >I have been very busy with an online game for Nokia, which runs now
        >in 20 countries with 600.000 registered players:
        >
        >http://www.nokia.com/20lives

        I tried that one. One had to type something from a "teleprompter". After
        I mistyped something, the game was stuck and I closed it - so I never
        found out what this game was about.

        I just retried... it worked this time, but it's boring, and rather a
        sort of brainwashing that one has to watch and interact with Nokia
        materials all the time :-( I think I will buy a non-Nokia cellphone next
        time.

        >as test manager I had to find a way to check the links in this Flash-
        >only application, which Xenu currently cannot do.
        >
        >I found a good alternative in Fiddler:
        >http://www.fiddlertool.com
        >
        >it lists all HTTP requests while you are playing the game and finds
        >the 404 messages whenever there's a broken link.
        >
        >Tilman, not sure if this is a realistic question, but what does it
        >take to upgrade Xenu so it can handle Flash links?

        Flash is a program, not a formatting language. So the approach of
        "Fiddler" to simply test all links manually while the player plays makes
        sense.

        Tilman
      • Nigel Horne
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
          There exists a perl CPAN module that you can use to get strings from an
          SWF file, I have used that to spider Flash links in my search engine at
          www.bandsman.co.uk. There is
          no need to track http requests or anything complicated like that.

          Look for SWF::Parser.

          -Nigel
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
            On 03 Oct 2005 14:44:26 +0100, Nigel Horne wrote:

            >There exists a perl CPAN module that you can use to get strings from an
            >SWF file, I have used that to spider Flash links in my search engine at
            >www.bandsman.co.uk. There is
            >no need to track http requests or anything complicated like that.

            This won't help you if the http requests are created dynamically.