Orphaned Files

  • Brian Tozer
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 22, 2005
      When I attempt to search for Orphaned Files after a successful check of the site, I am told that there are no orphaned files, which is not correct.
      I am confused by the second dialogue box that I have to enter the site details in. I think I have entered them correctly, and have tried various options, but it does not seem to connect to the site and scan for orphans, which is what I assume should happen.
      If anyone can give a specific example of how it should be done I would be very grateful.
      TIA
      Brian Tozer

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 23, 2005
        hi brian,

        Please check the online Xenu manual under

        "Finding Orphaned Files"
        http://members.chello.nl/f.visser3/xenu/10-orphaned-files.html

        frank

        --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Tozer" <briantoz@i...>
        wrote:
        > When I attempt to search for Orphaned Files after a successful
        check of the site, I am told that there are no orphaned files, which
        is not correct.
        > I am confused by the second dialogue box that I have to enter the
        site details in. I think I have entered them correctly, and have
        tried various options, but it does not seem to connect to the site
        and scan for orphans, which is what I assume should happen.
        > If anyone can give a specific example of how it should be done I
        would be very grateful.
        > TIA
        > Brian Tozer

      • Brian Tozer
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 23, 2005
          Questions:-
          1. The initial scan of the site produces a section in the results labelled "orphaned files" or similar. Should orphans appear in that list at this stage?
          2. After the initial scan, and the appearance of the 2nd dialogue box, should Xenu perform a second scan of the site to find the orphans, or are they deduced from the initial scan?
          3. The instructions speak of entering a ftp addrress but the example shows a http address. Is the normal http address of the site suitable, e.g. http://www.foo.com?
          4. Is an entry in the Directory field needed?
          5. Is it the directory of the folder on the server which contains the site files?
          6. What should be the behaviour of Xenu after the second dialogue box is filled in?
          Thanks

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 23, 2005
            Hi brian,

            See my answers below,

            Questions:-
            1. The initial scan of the site produces a section in the results
            labelled "orphaned files" or similar. Should orphans appear in that
            list at this stage?
            > yes.

            2. After the initial scan, and the appearance of the 2nd dialogue
            box, should Xenu perform a second scan of the site to find the
            orphans, or are they deduced from the initial scan?
            > an orphaned file is a file that is not linked to. So it cannot be
            found on the link report itself. By comparing the files linked to
            with the files found on the server, the number of orphans (the
            difference) is calculated.

            3. The instructions speak of entering a ftp addrress but the example
            shows a http address. Is the normal http address of the site
            suitable, e.g. http://www.foo.com?
            > the manual says "FTP access", not "address", so you can use an
            http:// address here, as the example given in the box itself, and
            xenu will contact the site (with FTP I assume) to spot all present
            files.

            4. Is an entry in the Directory field needed?
            > this requires some experimentation. Normally, the web URL
            redirects to the proper system path on the server, but with FTP you
            need to actually specify the subfolder where the files reside. So
            yes.

            5. Is it the directory of the folder on the server which contains
            the site files?
            > correct.

            6. What should be the behaviour of Xenu after the second dialogue
            box is filled in?
            > as the manual shows, after Xenu has finished the orphan scan, it
            will ask you for a web report, and at the bottom of that report, the
            orphans will be listed.

            Hope that answers your questions,

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 23, 2005
              On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:53:29 -0000, frank visser wrote:

              >3. The instructions speak of entering a ftp addrress but the example
              >shows a http address. Is the normal http address of the site
              >suitable, e.g. http://www.foo.com?
              >> the manual says "FTP access", not "address", so you can use an
              >http:// address here, as the example given in the box itself, and
              >xenu will contact the site (with FTP I assume) to spot all present
              >files.

              The host name is really just something like ftp.foo.com. No "http:" or
              "ftp".

              >4. Is an entry in the Directory field needed?
              >> this requires some experimentation. Normally, the web URL
              >redirects to the proper system path on the server, but with FTP you
              >need to actually specify the subfolder where the files reside. So
              >yes.

              Yes.