Re: Issue checking links that open in new windows...

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 27, 2005
      hi richard,

      i can answer that one for you.

      there's no problem for xenu checking these URLs at all, if your
      start URL is just http://www.ksc.nasa.gov/

      the URL with the disclaimer code falls within this domain and will
      be scanned.

      i did it and the url http://external.web.site/ gets a "no such host"
      message.

      btw, your site also uses popups with the javascript:openNASAwindow()
      function, and xenu can scan these as well if you use the regular
      expression for this and add it to the .ini file.

      i tested this on the NASA site and found some illegal code examples,
      such as:

      javascript:openNASAWindow('www.spaceflightamerica.org')

      this won't work, for the URL needs to start with 'http://....'

      since the regular expression looks for URLs starting with http, ftp
      or /, this one was not resolved and showed up in the xenu report
      under "skip type". that's how i look for illegally coded popups.

      any further help needed, let me know!

      frank

      --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "rlw3158" <rlw3158@y...>
      wrote:
      > I work at NASA's Kennedy Space Center for the Joint Base
      Operations

      target=http://external.web.site/

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 27, 2005
        hi richard,

        on a closer look I see now that the root URL for the NASA site is

        http://www.nasa.gov/

        so in that case, you have to add this URL to the field "Consider
        URLs starting with this as 'internal':

        http://www.ksc.nasa.gov/

        so Xenu will include this as well.

        or alternatively, use the second as start URL, and include the first
        as internal.

        frank

        --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "frank visser"

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 28, 2005
          hi richard,

          and of course, either way, for the http://external.web.site/ URL to
          be included in the scan, you need to enable:

          "Check external links"

          in the Xenu starting point menu. Otherwise it will be skipped.

          let me know if it works for you.

          <f.visser3@c...> wrote:
> [...]
          for
          > > more
          > > > than two years now. Thank You, Tilman :)
          > > >
          > > > I am having an issue checking links that are coded as follows:
          > > >
          > > > http://www.ksc.nasa.gov/disclaimer/?
          > > target=http://external.web.site/
          > > >
          > > > The purpose of this formatting is to display an intervening
          > > > disclaimer page that tells the user that the next page seen is
          > not
          > > on
          > > > the KSC web site and therefore we are not responsible for the
          > > > content :) CYA at it's finest :)
          > > >
          > > > Any ideas about how I could add the ability to check these
          links
          > > > without first stripping them of the disclaimer coding?
          > > >
          > > > Thank You,
          > > >
          > > > Thanks,
          > > > Richard Warnock
          > > > Space Gateway Support, Associate Software Test Analyst
        • Richard Warnock
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 29, 2005
            Thanks for the replies Frank :)

            I should have been more specific: I am checking
            non-public CFM pages behind the KSC firewall.

            I have also modified the xenu.ini as suggested with
            the regex provided by both Tilman and yourself. Thank
            you both for providing that functionality.

            The issue with the illegally coded popups is not
            addressable from my end... the content on www.nasa.gov
            is now aggregated portal content provided by any of
            the 10 NASA centers or NASA HQ.

            It appears that plain links as well as the
            disclaimered links are not being seen by Xenu.

            My site list only shows two pages, the currect page
            and the index page.

            This may be due to the inability to change the user
            agent name. I understand why Tilman left that
            capability out; I've read his previous post regarding
            that issue.

            So I suspect it may end up being an issue with the
            Cold Fusion server not liking Xenu.

            Thank you for doing all of www.nasa.gov, I truly
            appreciate your kindness as well as your time :)

            I check web pages and sites for compliance with the
            KSC standards and Section 508. If anyone here has any
            questions about either of those, I'm your guy :)

            Just e-mail me directly because this is the Xenu user
            group :)

            Thank You,
            Richard Warnock
            richard.warnock-1@...