Issue checking links that open in new windows...

  • rlw3158
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 27, 2005
      I work at NASA's Kennedy Space Center for the Joint Base Operations
      Support Contractor, Space Gateway Support and have used Xenu for more
      than two years now. Thank You, Tilman :)

      I am having an issue checking links that are coded as follows:

      http://www.ksc.nasa.gov/disclaimer/?target=http://external.web.site/

      The purpose of this formatting is to display an intervening
      disclaimer page that tells the user that the next page seen is not on
      the KSC web site and therefore we are not responsible for the
      content :) CYA at it's finest :)

      Any ideas about how I could add the ability to check these links
      without first stripping them of the disclaimer coding?

      Thank You,

      Thanks,
      Richard Warnock
      Space Gateway Support, Associate Software Test Analyst
      richard.warnock-1@...
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 27, 2005
        hi richard,

        i can answer that one for you.

        there's no problem for xenu checking these URLs at all, if your
        start URL is just http://www.ksc.nasa.gov/

        the URL with the disclaimer code falls within this domain and will
        be scanned.

        i did it and the url http://external.web.site/ gets a "no such host"
        message.

        btw, your site also uses popups with the javascript:openNASAwindow()
        function, and xenu can scan these as well if you use the regular
        expression for this and add it to the .ini file.

        i tested this on the NASA site and found some illegal code examples,
        such as:

        javascript:openNASAWindow('www.spaceflightamerica.org')

        this won't work, for the URL needs to start with 'http://....'

        since the regular expression looks for URLs starting with http, ftp
        or /, this one was not resolved and showed up in the xenu report
        under "skip type". that's how i look for illegally coded popups.

        any further help needed, let me know!

        frank

        --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "rlw3158" <rlw3158@y...>

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 27, 2005
          hi richard,

          on a closer look I see now that the root URL for the NASA site is

          http://www.nasa.gov/

          so in that case, you have to add this URL to the field "Consider
          URLs starting with this as 'internal':

          http://www.ksc.nasa.gov/

          so Xenu will include this as well.

          or alternatively, use the second as start URL, and include the first
          as internal.

          frank

          --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "frank visser"

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 28, 2005
            hi richard,

            and of course, either way, for the http://external.web.site/ URL to
            be included in the scan, you need to enable:

            "Check external links"

            in the Xenu starting point menu. Otherwise it will be skipped.

            let me know if it works for you.

            <f.visser3@c...> wrote:
> [...]
            for
            > > more
            > > > than two years now. Thank You, Tilman :)
            > > >
            > > > I am having an issue checking links that are coded as follows:
            > > >
            > > > http://www.ksc.nasa.gov/disclaimer/?
            > > target=http://external.web.site/
            > > >
            > > > The purpose of this formatting is to display an intervening
            > > > disclaimer page that tells the user that the next page seen is
            > not
            > > on
            > > > the KSC web site and therefore we are not responsible for the
            > > > content :) CYA at it's finest :)
            > > >
            > > > Any ideas about how I could add the ability to check these
            links
            > > > without first stripping them of the disclaimer coding?
            > > >
            > > > Thank You,
            > > >
            > > > Thanks,
            > > > Richard Warnock
            > > > Space Gateway Support, Associate Software Test Analyst
          • Richard Warnock
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 29, 2005
              Thanks for the replies Frank :)

              I should have been more specific: I am checking
              non-public CFM pages behind the KSC firewall.

              I have also modified the xenu.ini as suggested with
              the regex provided by both Tilman and yourself. Thank
              you both for providing that functionality.

              The issue with the illegally coded popups is not
              addressable from my end... the content on www.nasa.gov
              is now aggregated portal content provided by any of
              the 10 NASA centers or NASA HQ.

              It appears that plain links as well as the
              disclaimered links are not being seen by Xenu.

              My site list only shows two pages, the currect page
              and the index page.

              This may be due to the inability to change the user
              agent name. I understand why Tilman left that
              capability out; I've read his previous post regarding
              that issue.

              So I suspect it may end up being an issue with the
              Cold Fusion server not liking Xenu.

              Thank you for doing all of www.nasa.gov, I truly
              appreciate your kindness as well as your time :)

              I check web pages and sites for compliance with the
              KSC standards and Section 508. If anyone here has any
              questions about either of those, I'm your guy :)

              Just e-mail me directly because this is the Xenu user
              group :)

              Thank You,
              Richard Warnock
              richard.warnock-1@...