Re: [xenu-usergroup] using broadband

  • wydeboi
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
      I have not installed a non-microsoft firewall, I do not use microsofts
      firewall, I use zonealarm, for years and it has always worked with Xenu.
      I'll try the command line.

      Tilman Hausherr wrote:

      >On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:47:24 -0700, wydeboi wrote:
      >

      >>your explorer must be different from mine on xp, I have no place to type
      >>in anything except in the search box. also, I just tried Xenu with
      >>another site of mine different url and different server, same response,
      >>file not found.
      >>

      >Then try this:
      >
      >Click on START, RUN
      >
      >type
      > cmd.exe
      >
      >type
      > cd %temp%
      > del tgh*.*
      >

      >Alternatively - did you install a (non microsoft) firewall recently? Try
      >disabling it (install all MS patches first) and run Xenu again.
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • wydeboi
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
        tried the command line, then ran Xenu, did not work, same error message,
        file not found.

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
          On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:37:58 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

          >tried the command line, then ran Xenu, did not work, same error message,
          >file not found.

          That's it :-( I have no more ideas (I assume you have the latest
          version). If you find a way to let me access your PC through "remote
          assistance" (your firewall may prevent this), e-mail me directly.

          Tilman
        • wydeboi
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
            I have version 1.2g, I'll look into remote access.
            Thanks for all your help.
            Jack

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
              well, I went to your site and read through everything about the download
              and use and lo and behold, Xenu will not work unless I have first
              launched IE and typed in a url. I never had to do this before, so I did
              that and Xenu is now spidering my site. Sorry for the trouble.
              Thanks again,
              Jack

              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:55:59 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

                >well, I went to your site and read through everything about the download
                >and use and lo and behold, Xenu will not work unless I have first
                >launched IE and typed in a url. I never had to do this before, so I did
                >that and Xenu is now spidering my site. Sorry for the trouble.

                This suggests a setup problem with windows. Maybe you have two
                WININET.DLL files, or your DLL isn't in your path... or another
                important DLL isn't accessible...

                Xenu works for me and I almost never use IE :-)

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 28, 2005
                  On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:55:59 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

                  >well, I went to your site and read through everything about the download
                  >and use and lo and behold, Xenu will not work unless I have first
                  >launched IE and typed in a url. I never had to do this before, so I did
                  >that and Xenu is now spidering my site. Sorry for the trouble.

                  I had forgotten that I had mentioned it in the FAQ. I have now added
                  something about your experience. If you ever find out that something
                  solved the problem (i.e. that you don't have to start IE first), e-mail
                  me how.

                  Did you install any new software with your broadband account?

                  Have you installed Google Earth, and if yes, does it work? I'm asking
                  because this (excellent) software seems to use the IE infrastructure
                  too.